Am I the only one the doesn't really want McClain? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Am I the only one the doesn't really want McClain?

Just a heads up for some posting in this thread................ A 3-4 ILB Doesn't have to go sideline to sideline like he's a 4-3 ILB.

If your a 3-4 ILB you have to have the size to take on the Oline and be able to run with a RB or TE 10 to 15 yards down the field before they inter the zone of the SS or FS.

All this talk of running sideline to sideline in 3-4 just shows that you don't understand football and really don't know what your talking about.

J McClain doesnt get tied up often, what he does do is he waits on the G to come out to him instead of attack the LOS.. He made a lot of tackles that could have been at the LOS but ended up being gains

That's what I see. I tried to describe it in a lengthy post earlier in the thread, that McLain stops flatfooted briefly while trying to diagnose the play. My best analogy is like a tennis player awaiting a serve, although obviously McLain's feet aren't set that wide. He does it in the wash.

Regardless, I don't participate in that reputation stuff, and didn't even know what the greenery meant until recently, but I like your opinion.

The argument that everyone says one thing, and therefore it must be inarguably correct, can be nutshelled as, "Why be alone when I can be a clone?" :lol:

:lol:
Um, what do you think the WILL is in a 3-4? Um, an ILB. :facepalm:

Akin Ayodele plays the 3-4's version of the WILL. And yes, Weatherspoon would absolutely takeover Akin's spot and UPgrade it BIG TIME.

Weatherspoon >>> McClain.
Weatherspoon = Vilma
McClain = Crowder

We already have our Crowder, now we need our Vilma. Weatherspoon, come on down!!!!

The WILL linebacker in a 3-4 has gap responsibility....which doesn't fit Weatherspoon's skillset...

The WILL in a 4-3 doesn't have the same level of gap responsibility and is more covered up....

All those >>>>> doesn't amount to very much to me....Weatherspoon isn't Rolando McClain....and I'll bet you Weatherspoon gets drafted by a 4-3 team to man the WILL spot..

Quick....what number does McClain wear? :lol: And how many tackles did Weatherspoon have when Navy was busy rushing for 400 yards on him?

me making the point about all the draft gurus pretty much having mcclain in their top 12 is pretty much irrelevant...i must have had too many spirits last night...

cause i don't profess to the the theory that going against the grain makes you wrong...in fact i do it all the time...

that being said i think that saying mcclain would be no better than crowder is really stretching it to say the least...

and i think saying mcclain is not an elite looking ilb prospect is off base...

To clear up my opinion that everyone believes is wrong,

1. I do think McClain will be better than Crowder but they play very similar (except Crowder is actually embarrassingly a better blitzer and hits harder)
2. The ability to play sideline to sideline is a great ability to have no matter what kind of scheme you play. Not sure why you wouldnt want a LB to have that ability, i dont know, i must not kno anything about football.
3. I think McClain will be good at the next level
4. I think he takes blocks on and sheds them very well, but he doesnt do it at the line of scrimmage, he sits back and waits for the play to develop instead of attacking the LOS therefore making a lot of tackles 3, 4 yards downfield.
5. I've never once argued that he's not the best LB prospect, I just dont think he is a top 10 pick.

how many sacks does crowder have for his what 5 year career??? can you count them on one hand??? if not it's close i promise you

so i don't see how anyone can say that a guy who hardly ever gets the qb down from an inside lb position with a solid d front to hold up blockers is a better blitzer...

if you want to say spikes is better i can agree with that but crowder i don't really see this effective blitzer...

damn guys..crowder got his first int of his career this year and that was because cam wake was hanging on bradys legs like drapes...

I have a ten year old cousin who is a tackling machine in pop warner. he doesnt' have too many Int's, TFL, forced fumbles, recoveries or batted balls. sometimes I mistake him for channing crowder.

whatever bro, agree to disagree.. I have no idea what McClain will do in the NFL, nobody does, but he is a very ineffective blitzer at the college level, it's obviously not going to be better in the pros.
At the end of the day, we all have our opinions, unfortunately (like every other year and draft class people argue about) nobody is going to know who's going to do what or how good they'll be for another 3 years.. and by that time a lot of people either forget what they said or act like they knew it all along. pretty much, these arguments are pointless.

i just asked you to answer the question...you said crowder was a better blitzer than mcclain...i said crowder hardly ever gets a sack based on his stats...

you didn't want to discuss it further...

no worries

Crowder has less than 5 sacks actually. 2.5 for his career. When i said "embarrassingly" crowder is better.. i was saying that it is embarrassing that there is someone worse than crowder at blitzing.. Implying that crowder is not a good blitzer, saying that crowder is actually a terrible blitzer by all measure and so is McClain. I also said that I think McClain will be a better pro than Crowder.. I have previously said both of those things so i'm not sure why you keep asking me about Crowder. All i said is that they play similar to each other and that IMO McClain isnt a "playmaker" at ILB and neither is Crowder. While McClain WOULD be an upgrade at ILB, i dont think he is worth a top ten pick and i would rather go after a playmaker on offense and hope for weatherspoon or spikes to be there in the 2nd (if we dont address it in FA).. The whole point to my postings has been that I dont think McClain is a playmaker (not a top 10 pick) and that the dolphins need to get a playmaker with their first pick.

BTW, McClain has a MUCH better DL (in comparison) in front of him than Crowder does, so i'm not sure why you brought up defensive fronts.

2413Fanfins, I'm sorry to hear about your cousin...

Just a heads up for some posting in this thread................ A 3-4 ILB Doesn't have to go sideline to sideline like he's a 4-3 ILB.

If your a 3-4 ILB you have to have the size to take on the Oline and be able to run with a RB or TE 10 to 15 yards down the field before they inter the zone of the SS or FS.

All this talk of running sideline to sideline in 3-4 just shows that you don't understand football and really don't know what your talking about.

Hahahahaha... Are you serious with this?? An ILB doesnt have to go S2S because he's in a 3-4? And you say I dont know what I'm talking about?? So does an ILB in a 3-4 never have to leave the tackle box??? Do teams stop running off tackle and and sweeps and try to get to the outside when they face a 3-4 team?? Just curious because saying that a 3-4 ILB that can run S2S well ISNT highly coveted is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

The only question I have about any linebacker is can they cover, if McClain can cover than i'm in

Hahahahaha... Are you serious with this?? An ILB doesnt have to go S2S because he's in a 3-4? And you say I dont know what I'm talking about?? So does an ILB in a 3-4 never have to leave the tackle box??? Do teams stop running off tackle and and sweeps and try to get to the outside when they face a 3-4 team?? Just curious because saying that a 3-4 ILB that can run S2S well ISNT highly coveted is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.
Well, the only argument you constantly keep bring up is sideline to sideline, sideline to sideline, sideline to sideline... You act as is going sideline to sideline is the be all end all to being good at the next level. Which is very wrong, especially in a 3-4. Then you act as if McClain is terrible at going sideline to sideline, which he isn't he's good at it, not great, but good at it. Then of course you keep bringing up blitzing. Ok, he's not good of a blitzer, oh well. He's so good at other things, it really isn't that relevent, being blitzing from the middle isn't the be all end all to being a 3-4 ILB either... Oh, and he had 4 sacks this year, 3 last year so... He's not nearly as bad a blitzer as you make him out to be. If you came up with a good argument, that's one thing, but you have failed to bring up any valid points yet.

This is hilarious, some quality stuff and very educational I might add.

So if you play ILB in a 3-4 and the opposing team runs a sweep to the outside, that inside linebacker is NOT suppose to chase him? I never knew that. He's supposed to just stand there and hope the running back comes straight at him. I guess you learn something everyday. I'm glad we have some football experts around here so we can learn this valuable information

Back
Top Bottom