....and which Quarterback since Marino was 'best'? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

....and which Quarterback since Marino was 'best'?

Which QB was best?

• Damon Huard

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Jay Fieldler

Votes: 164 34.5%
  • Ray Lucas

• Brian Griese

• AJ Feeley

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Sage Rosenfels

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Gus Frerotte

Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Daunte Culpepper

• Joey Harrington

• Cleo Lemon

• Trent Green

• John Beck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chad Pennington

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • Tyler Thigpen

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Chad Henne

Votes: 53 11.2%

• Total voters
C'mon people. It's Penny by a country mile. He's a much better QB than Fiedler ever was. In one year we saw more quality QB play than in Fiedler's entire career. Not to mention Fiedler had Chan Gailey and Norv Turner as his OCs. Pen had Henning...Give Pen a prime Ricky and that D, then we'd have been talking Super Bowls.

100% made up.

He had played just 13 games in the NFL, starting one, before the Dolphins named him their starter. By the end of his 5 years with the team, Fiedler had a 36-23 record as a starting quarterback, throwing for 11,040 yards on 936-for-1603 passing (58.4% completions). He also had 66 touchdowns and 63 interceptions.
so it's not 85% it's 80% i was off just a little but the numbers prove its not made up.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2011/9/...mi-dolphins-franchise-what-started-the-spiral
theres a link to support my numbers

I like Fiedler, because I remember week in and week out he would figure out a way to get it done.

Damon Huard. I really think he would have done great thing for us.

Fielder was amore a product of a good team than being an actual good starting qb. His armstrength severly limited our offense and allowed teams to stack the box increasingly against Ricky williams. In reality Fielder was not even ana average nfl qb. His only good season was 2002 and that was because we rode Ricky and he got some better chances because teams were stacking. The best thing about Fielder is he did not throw many interceptions but he also did not throw many td passes either

Sage Rosenfels. He was the best 3rd stringer ever.

He had played just 13 games in the NFL, starting one, before the Dolphins named him their starter. By the end of his 5 years with the team, Fiedler had a 36-23 record as a starting quarterback, throwing for 11,040 yards on 936-for-1603 passing (58.4% completions). He also had 66 touchdowns and 63 interceptions.
so it's not 85% it's 80% i was off just a little but the numbers prove its not made up.
http://www.thephinsider.com/2011/9/...mi-dolphins-franchise-what-started-the-spiral
theres a link to support my numbers
Your numbers might be right, but your math is wrong. Going by the win-loss record you provided, Fiedler won a little over 60% of his games. Not 85 or 80.

Fiedler's stats are pretty amazing. For a QB that wasn't asked to throw much or pass deep, he still found a way to be extremely inefficient. His absolute best year, he had a rating of 85 (it usually hovered in the 70s and put him near the bottom of the league). That one career year put him in the middle of the pack among QBs (so his ceiling was being mediocre). That same year, a young Pennington put up a 104. If we'd had Penny instead of Fiedler, Wanny would have Switzered his way to a ring. There's no question who was a better QB. I would also say that in 2008, Penny single-handedly contributed more to team success than Fiedler ever did.

1. Pennington (If he could've stayed healthy, things would be better.) 2. Fiedler 3. Henne

the rest are just pointless.

Pennington was the most talented, even though we got him after his devastating rotator cuff injury. If he hadn't rushed it he might've been okay after all, but he was trying to (and succeeded, at the cost of his future) lead his team into the '04 playoffs. People seem to forget just how great a QB Pennington was: remember he lead the Jets on that 41-0 crushing over the Colts in '02 (IIRC). He had a fantastic touch on deep passes, too - ironic, and pretty sad, that after his shoulder broke down he's best remembered as a "noodle-arm"ed QB.

However he only lasted for one season. If we're going with extended tenures, I'll go with Henne. I've always felt Fiedler was underrated (indeed, his '02 games against the Raiders and Broncos stand out as two of the greatest games we had in the decade) but he doesn't come close to Henne's talents.

I think people may be using two different definitions of "best" here.

If you're talking about one's overall contribution to the Miami Dolphins over the course of his career, I think you have to go with Jay Fiedler.

If by "best" you mean the ceiling of play that was demonstrated by the player over a significant period of time, I think you have to go with Pennington, his QB rating of nearly 100 for the 2008 season, and his 2nd place finish in the MVP voting.

Pennington may not have contributed as much to the franchise as Fiedler, but Fiedler was never good enough to play at the level Pennington did in 2008.

Pennington was the best in terms of the ability he demonstrated, and Fiedler was the best in terms of how much he contributed to this particular franchise during his career.

Very well said.

I was reading through the thread and started looking through youtube for some highlights of past QBs Miami has employed. I randomly found a Chris Chambers (who was my favorite player) video that was actually made by our very own Nublar. Brings back memories of the chemistry Frerotte formed with Chris the year he started for us. They were a pretty nice combo to be honest. Gus liked to throw deep and was quite accurate in doing so and I remember Miami fans eating it up that season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhG1lUEwW40

Pennington and Henne (this year so far) were serviceable.
how was pennington just ''serviceable''.

when you say serviceable, the way i interpret it, is that you feel that he was just along for the ride, but we could have gotten by without him. you cant use the same word to describe him and henne.

pennington came to our team just before the season started, no training camp, very little talent, coming off a 1-15 season, and not only did he lead us to our only playoff appearance to this date since the 2001 season, he was a runner up mvp candidate to peyton manning. the guy was more than just serviceable. we had one of the biggest turn around in nfl history.

Back
Top Bottom