Anybody not wanting Leinart over Feeley as our QB....... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Anybody not wanting Leinart over Feeley as our QB.......

A. Point taken.
B. This is not true, and keep in mind that I have actually clocked the speed of well over 20 of AJ Feeley's fastball passes, and probably about a dozen of Leinart's fastball passes. AJ might have a little bit of an advantage in this area, but it is slim.
C. I'll ask Gino Toretta, but first I'll ask Peyton Manning.
D. Leinart's surrounding cast in USC, outside of Reggie Bush, is not all that respectable. No doubt that AJ's surrounding cast was comparatively worst, however, Leinart's production is about 10 times better than Feeley's TO DATE.

And by the way, Andy Reid had a choice of whether to try and keep AJ Feeley as his primary backup to McNabb, or keep Koy Detmer. He chose Koy, he traded AJ, and I don't think it was because he had no hopes of keeping AJ as some would have you believe. AJ loved the team, loved the city, had a serious girlfriend on a local sports team, and even had a radio show in Philly, and was wildly popular with the fans. But instead of trying to keep him, Andy Reid tried to trade him two years in a row. I don't think he disliked AJ, but I think he thought Koy to be the wiser choice to be McNabb's permanent backup.

I don't know how you clocked them but I'd sure like to find out. Regardless, I'm just basing it off of the games I've seen Feely throw and the rest of the games I've watched this year. You may think this is a homer statement, but I believe Feely has a top five arm in terms of arm strength. He has a lightning quick release IMO.

Also, as I recall, early on, a lot of Feely's interceptions were made while he was being hit (rather than the straight poor throw).

He clearly is getting better and it seems obvious that he was much more comfortable in the WCO where he could get rid of the ball quicker.

As to why Reid traded Feeley and kept Detmer over him, I believe the reason is not that he didn't believe Feeley could make it, but that he had a chance to cash in on a back up QB that he groomed.

Feely has shown flashes of brilliance. The first quarter against Buffalo as an example. His problem was that he forced it too often. It seems he corrected that.

Get him in a WCO with a line that actually blocks and receivers who hold onto the ball and I believe you'll see a great QB.

My point on Leinert is that it's futile to say whether he's better or worse than Feeley. The fact is, we won't know for at least two years.

I'm completely satisfied with Feeley as our starter and don't believe we should waste our good position on another QB that may or may not be just as good as the one we currently have. Better to spend the pick on a position(s) of need.

But that's just me...

While I do think Leinart Looks great at Pro Player throwing like he is tonight. It is halftime and there is still a half to evaluate. But with that said I don't think Leinart could line up and beat New England BB would eat him alive. There is a difference between college and pro. I am not going to say who is better though because I don't think we have seen A.J's best yet. With a better line and an effective running game I would like to see what he could do.

I've been very interested in him but also content with Feeley if need be. We pick 2nd I believe (is that right?). Lienart could go first. Besides if we pick a QB regardless of who it is, we face a setback. QB isn't our greatest weakness. We could utilize the draft for much more to be successful more quickly. But I do like your thread because I really like Lienart. If we picked him I wouldn't lose sleep over it even though it would mean a longer road to the playoffs IMO due to living with weaknesses in order to bag a potentially good QB.

SkapePhin said:
HELLLLOOOOOOO... Are there braincells functioning in your head?

He has DONOVAN MCNABB, a QB he drafted with a top 5 pick, a QB he has groomed into a star entrenched as starter.. OF COURSE he trades Feeley if the right pick is offered.. FYI, the Jets wanted to trade for Feeley last season for a 3rd rounder, but Philly wanted a 2 and the Jets refused. If Feeley had no talent, there is no way in hell Reid would have drafted him with so few college starts to his name.. Bottom line, if Reid didnt see something in him, he wouldnt have been drafted at all.. Guys with only a handful of starts in their college careers dont get drafted unless they have tons of potential..

Feeley still isn't the answer here. Maybe we'll get to see it on 05 and maybe we won't you've made up your mind, and I have made up mine. My opinion won't change until FEELEY has proven to me otherwise. Beating the 49ers, and Browns doesn't prove anything to me. OUR Defense beat the PATS by creating 4 turnovers. Feeley threw a TD at the end woop-di-do. Saban will see what is best for the team, so who knows until then.

BTW Leinart is no more of a WCO QB than Tom Brady.

Why is it that every time a QB with good accuracy and not as great an arm comes out, people peg him for a WCO QB?

Couple of things you NEED in the WCO.

1. Accuracy...which Leinart has plenty of.

2. MOBILITY!!! Of which Leinart has virtually none.

3. Decision making...which Leinart excels in.

A strong arm is also a big plus in the west coast offense. Why? Because you need to be able to complete deep passes if you're going to be a consistent WCO quarterback. You absolutely NEED to. Everyone knows some of the tenets of the WCO, the parts about shorter throws and throwing to guys on the run and slants and horizontal routes etc. What people don't realize is that what is just as important to this philosophy is the ability to buy extra time in the pocket with your feet, and/or to be able to toss off a deep strike at crucial moments. If you are not able to do that, your WCO is dead in the water because CBs will press you and be ALL OVER the short routes, just sitting there waiting to pick off passes.

You look at the most successful WCO quarterbacks over NFL history. In no particular order, Montana, Young, Favre, Elway, McNabb...some others I'm probably missing. Except for Montana, all of these guys had great mobility, great accuracy, AND a great arm. They could all buy time in the pocket, sometimes LOTS of time. Montana may not have had the biggest arm, but he sure could complete deep passes with his accuracy (kind of like Pennington, who may have perhaps the weakest arm among NFL starting QBs not named Fiedler, but who also this year had the highest percentage accuracy on his deep passes).

I've watched the USC offense and I don't see a whole lot of resemblance to the WCO, but I guess I'm no expert. I know that with Tedford's system in Cal, thats definitely WCO right there, and I think Rodger really fits the bill as a WCO QB...but Leinart, maybe so, but probably not...just cuz of the lack of mobility.

Hey Sherlock, guess what, if Feeley doesnt throw that TD at the end, we lose. WOOP DE DOO!

Hey Leinart could turn out better or he could turn out worse. He is leaning toward staying in school from what I have heard. Yes he looks real good tonite, but that doesnt mean success at the next level. I am sorry I am not sold on his arm, AJ has a stronger arm. Leinart passes seem like they take forever to get there. Maybe it is just me. The original statement assumes that Leinart would come in and do better than AJ in the same circumstances that AJ did this year, which is a joke IMO.

matt is having a good game
hes finding open recievers who are wide open
but i dont remember our recievers having such a knack for being so wide open

hes also being helped by some INCREDIBLE catches that are more testaments to the skills of his recievers.

im not so sure how i feel about him yet. this is the first time ive seen him play.
so far i guess i could live with taking him with the second pick.
however i keep trying to picture him playing behind our oline with pressure coming from everywhere with no time and i dont picture him succeeding -
and i i havent seen anything yet from him that quells my doubts in him.
id like to see some scrambling ability or some evading defenders or making something out of nothing, unfortunately his team is playing too well to give him such an opportunity.

so far, im not wowed. hes playing mistake free college football and making good decisions, but where's the saban 'explosiveness'? im hoping the second half knocks me off my feet. as of right now, id rather trade down for more picks and go with AJ.
ill check back in after the game.

Leinert is looking really good but I think San Fran will take him with the #1 pick...we need to draft down and pick up extra picks.

It's pretty simple folks, if Matt Leinart declares and he is not taken by S.F. we have no choice but to take him. You do not draft for supposed NEED with the second overall pick. You simply take the most talented player on the board.

He wouldnt be the most talented player on the board.

Becks7 said:
It's pretty simple folks, if Matt Leinart declares and he is not taken by S.F. we have no choice but to take him. You do not draft for supposed NEED with the second overall pick. You simply take the most talented player on the board.
only if you cant trade down

miamirw said:
I don't know how you clocked them but I'd sure like to find out. Regardless, I'm just basing it off of the games I've seen Feely throw and the rest of the games I've watched this year. You may think this is a homer statement, but I believe Feely has a top five arm in terms of arm strength. He has a lightning quick release IMO.

Also, as I recall, early on, a lot of Feely's interceptions were made while he was being hit (rather than the straight poor throw).

He clearly is getting better and it seems obvious that he was much more comfortable in the WCO where he could get rid of the ball quicker.

As to why Reid traded Feeley and kept Detmer over him, I believe the reason is not that he didn't believe Feeley could make it, but that he had a chance to cash in on a back up QB that he groomed.

Feely has shown flashes of brilliance. The first quarter against Buffalo as an example. His problem was that he forced it too often. It seems he corrected that.

Get him in a WCO with a line that actually blocks and receivers who hold onto the ball and I believe you'll see a great QB.

My point on Leinert is that it's futile to say whether he's better or worse than Feeley. The fact is, we won't know for at least two years.

I'm completely satisfied with Feeley as our starter and don't believe we should waste our good position on another QB that may or may not be just as good as the one we currently have. Better to spend the pick on a position(s) of need.

But that's just me...

i agree
i like the way aj throws the ball better
its like a straight line sometimes

Bottom line, if noone gave up a 2nd for Feeley, he would be McNabb's backup right now..

This may be true, or false, we don't know. What I do know is that Koy Detmer was signed to a longterm contract while Reid was trying to trade Feeley two years in a row. Once again, Feeley was trade bait, he knew he could try and strike a favorable deal based on AJ's run as well as the unknown factors with AJ, and he was right.

I'm glad someone replied to that. The way he does this is in no way scientific. I was surprised he ever mentioned how he figured that whole stuff out in the past.

You are entitled to your opinion but as far as the timing goes, I am accurate to within a thirtieth of a second because I measure it digitally with digital recording equipment. The most inaccurate part of my method is measuring the distances. But, that is not as hard as you may think either. Meanwhile, ESPN Sunday Night Football has taken to measuring the speeds of various passes, and thanks to them, I have some pretty esteemed verification of my own measurements, because yes, I've clocked, on my own using my method, pass speeds that they clocked and came out with pretty darn similar results.

Leinart sucks, they all do. When was the last Heisman quarterback to create a big stir. None. Never draft the Heisman quarterback, Never.

Back
Top Bottom