Baldy breaks down Austin Jackson Jaguars tape | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Baldy breaks down Austin Jackson Jaguars tape

Flowers is fine. I think he is playing well. Lawson is another story. It was a bad signing to begin with. He is a bad athlete and has no explosiveness. I hated him as a prospect when he was coming into the league during the 2016 draft. I wish they could get out of his contract right now. He is a blaring example of a bad free agent signing.

You know what I thought of the Lawson signing. That it was a bad decision. Paying double what the bills were willing to pay per the bills fan that comes on this site . But I will say that he had his best game for us Thursday. He does more than Andre Branch did for us in terms of overall.

There’s another guy that we signed thats here for at least two years too outside of flowers but damn if I can recall. Flowers has rescued his career at guard he was headed for the scrap heap at tackle. He should have been kicked inside by the giants and they’d probably still have him. I had him as a guard coming out anyways didn’t see tackle feet and athleticism and you can see it in how he comes across the formation post snap in pass pro that is not a tackle athlete.

Jackson has been a pleasant surprise.
I was nervous about the pick but understood it because of the need and he was best OT Available.

My other first guess complaints:
Would’ve tried to move up a 2-3 spots for Lamb but we held for Jackson.

Loved CEH but we went Iggy and I love the kid. He’s a #1 CB IMO.

Would’ve gone Chin Winfield or A Davis over R Davis. This Defense would be better with a true FS. I think it’s biggest MISS of draft.
Draft was loaded. We see about the Texas kid TBD imo.
R Davis is a space eater imo. Not dynamic. Let’s see.

I had a top 20 grade on Jackson in fact he was my primary target at 18 when the board fell the way it did. I messaged Albert Romano here and he can tell ya before the pick when he asked me who we should/would take and I told him Jackson. He’s proving to be a faster study than expected even. Raw but massive upside and top shelf foot speed and short area lateral quicks. That kids just a baby. Left tackle looks to be in good hands already.

Brandon jones instincts at safety are a welcome addition. He sees things that no one else sees in that group at a much faster clip. Shown to be a pretty solid tackler too. He looks like a long term starter piece at even though we don’t designate it strong or free in our system the strong type ask.

I don’t think rowe gives you much other than carry coverage on tight ends. Which of course is a value. I just wish he had more overall impact play at safety

Yeah, but in 2022 you could cut both of them and save 19 million dollars (2 mill total dead cap)

Both are fighting to justify that 3rd year

i neee to re watch the game bc I saw that shaq Lawson graded out as our top defender but I certainly didn’t see that watching it live. I’m no Defensive line scout so there’s great chance I missed it in plain view. However that stat shocked me

i neee to re watch the game bc I saw that shaq Lawson graded out as our top defender but I certainly didn’t see that watching it live. I’m no Defensive line scout so there’s great chance I missed it in plain view. However that stat shocked me

Graded out top defender on what pff? I thought he was pretty solid in the run game and I’m thinking his pass rush grade came largely after the starting left tackle was kicked out for some serious bs. To our benefit no doubt.

He can run a wide arch outside of the pure power bull rush but as a qb you gonna have to run into him for him to sack ya

Could end up better than tunsil?!

IMO, his on-field performance is already better than what Tunsil contributed to the team. When LT was drafted, all I read about was how getting him at 13 was a steal; he should have gone in the Top 5. I know his first year was at LG, but in Year 2 he went to LT replacing Albert. Granted, Philbin's o-line was probably the worst in the NFL, but just because Tunsil was the best lineman on the worst line doesn't mean he was Pro Bowl caliber! First, he was called for WAY too many penalties (and I read that he's continued this trend in Houston). Second, he didn't seem very good at pass or run blocking; maybe he was just too weak, or had poor technique... I don't pretend to know. I do know that I would watch him at times during games, and saw him being pushed backwards far too often. Third, his stats don't tell the real truth. I believe that during his last season as a Dolphin he was credited with only giving up 2 sacks. Sounds great, right? Hah! The only reason LT only gave up 2 sacks was because the other 4 guys were even worse than him, and the guys they were blocking made it to the QB quicker than Tunsil's guy!

Now, before you guys accuse me of being a Tunsil-hater, I will admit that the fact I didn't like him was purely based on the play of the o-line... of which he was the leader. I never watch college football. I don't know a thing about any college player other than what the talking heads (and fellow forumites) say pre-draft. So, I'm clueless and opinion-free during the draft process, and knew NOTHING about Tunsil before he became a Dolphin. I base my opinion of a player on what I see when he's wearing a Dolphins uniform. I will also admit that maybe what I see as Tunsil's poor performance could partially be blamed on Philbin. (I AM a Philbin-hater!) IMO, Philbin's offensive philosophy, combined with his dislike of the running game and preference for athletic "finesse" o-linemen who could execute his blocking schemes, resulted in the worst o-line in the league and the complete opposite of what I would consider to be a tough, physically dominating line. Example: Incognito, even though he had issues, was a better o-lineman than ANY other player under both Philbin and Gase. Jake Long (when healthy) and Incognito were the last of the "physical" o-linemen to play for the Dolphins (not counting this new, rebuilding, current team). When push came to shove, Philbin chose Jonathan Martin over Incognito; this was just one of the many examples of why Joe Philbin should never have been named Head Coach of the Dolphins. To add insult to injury, Incognito (after a break) went to Buffalo and was named to the Pro Bowl! IMO, linemen selected during the Gase and Philbin regimes were not very good!

I had a top 20 grade on Jackson in fact he was my primary target at 18 when the board fell the way it did. I messaged Albert Romano here and he can tell ya before the pick when he asked me who we should/would take and I told him Jackson. He’s proving to be a faster study than expected even. Raw but massive upside and top shelf foot speed and short area lateral quicks. That kids just a baby. Left tackle looks to be in good hands already.

Brandon jones instincts at safety are a welcome addition. He sees things that no one else sees in that group at a much faster clip. Shown to be a pretty solid tackler too. He looks like a long term starter piece at even though we don’t designate it strong or free in our system the strong type ask.

I don’t think rowe gives you much other than carry coverage on tight ends. Which of course is a value. I just wish he had more overall impact play at safety
Rowe, himself, admitted he is still learning the position, in particular run fills/support. He, obviously, didn't have those responsibilities at corner, and says he's getting better and quicker in reading his keys.

I have more focused in on S Kindley...... this guy is fun to watch He is BiG, NASTY,
& POWERFUL, He gets mucho movement at POA. I have also seen his combo blocks pretty good since he wasn’t supposed to be athletic. I was a cut up of him on Twitter man ... guy just pancaking people. Best one he was taking Buffalo stud DL Oliver To ground emphatically. I noticed it in the game Thursday Against the Jags. He pulled on The Howard TD just engulfed the poor DB who crashed in against the run.
Now that I have seen the Baldy cut up I am going to focus in on the other Rookie.
It has been a long time since the Dolphins Oline beat anybody up....year 2 of Tuna/Sparano? .....Jake Long was a beast In those early years.

Flowers is fine. I think he is playing well. Lawson is another story. It was a bad signing to begin with. He is a bad athlete and has no explosiveness. I hated him as a prospect when he was coming into the league during the 2016 draft. I wish they could get out of his contract right now. He is a blaring example of a bad free agent signing.

You and I did not watch the same game. Lawson deserved his 90 grade from profootballfocus. He was very disruptive and constantly pressured the QB.

Watch it again. He had a very, very good game.

Reactions: A1.
Jackson has exceeded my expectations. I am blown away by his short area quickness, his nimble feet, and his ability to seemingly instantly recover from being off balance to handling the rush. I am not shocked that a rookie is off balance. I am flabbergasted he recovers within a single step.

Lawson best game as a Dolphin and he did a great job with Cam Robertson and was the best defensive player on the field this game. Nice to see considering he was below average the first 2.

Austin Jackson doing a decent job considering he is a 20 year old rookie who came out a year early, his feet need a lot of work and he isn't close to having the potential - ability Tunsil has yet and may never quite get to Tunsil's level - no one is going to give you 2 1st and a 2nd for him, can he be a pro-bowl player, we will have to wait and see.

Davis did OK and had the toughest job against Josh Allen who had a sack plus 3 hits on Fitzpatrick and 2 tackles for a lose, he didn't let Allen totally take over the game.

Fitzpatrick was hot no doubt, makes you wonder why he didn't play better the first 2 games, crappy game plan?...comfort level who knows.

Myles Gaskin ability to run and receive during those 2 TD's drives to start the game was special, gave us some balance with our attack, our offensive line is better at pass protection the run blocking at this point,....Fitzpatrick - Gaskin won this game.

Dolphins drafting guru's definitely missed at the end of the draft, RB James Robinson looks like a hell of a find for Jacksonville as an UDFA, considering we needed a RB and traded away a pick - Big Miss.......

Even a couple nice plays by Grant, need to get him more involved and there's no way Smythe should get more snaps than Gesicki, spread them out and make it easier for Gaskin to run and for Gisicki to get more involved in passing attack.

Jackson has exceeded my expectations. I am blown away by his short area quickness, his nimble feet, and his ability to seemingly instantly recover from being off balance to handling the rush. I am not shocked that a rookie is off balance. I am flabbergasted he recovers within a single step.

This right here is something that stood out big time. The fact he is able to recover when it appears he's going to be bent over backwards is very encouraging. Especially when you consider he's only 20 years old, and he has not had the opportunity to really pack on muscle. If he stays healthy and gets through a full offseason of NFL Strength and conditioning we could be looking at a top 5 OT IMHO. Excited to watch his development going forward.

I watched the video twice... first time to watch Jackson then the second time to watch King Solomon.. as impressive as Jackson looked, I liked the way Kindley looked in those videos even better. Watch the 3rd and 1 play where Gaskin runs behind Jackson. Kindley just looks like a beast

Back
Top Bottom