Best Tight end ever to playthe game. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Tight end ever to playthe game.

Here's a good list of players who I feel are considered the greatest among TE's. No specific order really...

Kellen Winslow Sr.
Ozzie Newsome
Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Keith Jackson
Brent Jones
John Mackey
Jay Novacek
Mickey Shuler

Honorable Mention: Tony Gonzales, Ben Coates, Wesley Walls, Jerry Smith, Riley Odoms, Mark Chmura

BAMAPHIN 22 said:
What about John Mackey???
Yeah I forgot about him those were the ones I could come up with off the top of my head but he's definitely right there with those guys I named.

Winslow was the best I've ever seen -- way better than Ben Coates.

dominizzo said:
We never had a good tight end except for MC Mike. I say IMO the best ever TE to play the game Ben Coates, his stats are good but boy his blocking was amazing, i know uguys are gonna say Sharpe Gonzo but i liked Coates, the guy was a special player, i also think Wes Walls was good also, the TE's are quality ones that u will never find again there just leaders and special to an organization

eric green

seriously though, brent jones

The combination of Marv Fleming and Jim Mandich made a hell of a TE.:lol:

painnotpleasure said:
Here's a good list of players who I feel are considered the greatest among TE's. No specific order really...

Kellen Winslow Sr.
Ozzie Newsome
Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Keith Jackson
Brent Jones
John Mackey
Jay Novacek
Mickey Shuler

Honorable Mention: Tony Gonzales, Ben Coates, Wesley Walls, Jerry Smith, Riley Odoms, Mark Chmura

Good list, but I would definitely add Russ Francis to the list

painnotpleasure said:

Kellen Winslow Sr.
Ozzie Newsome
Shannon Sharpe
Mike Ditka
Keith Jackson
Brent Jones
John Mackey
Jay Novacek
Mickey Shuler

good list
I would say without question T. Gonzales has to be on the main list. That boy has been good for a long time. In my opinion he would rank right up there with the best along with Bravaro whom didn't make you list either.

And the congregation said...

CaptainK said:
John Mackey the Hall of Famer should be considered too.

Amen. And again. Mackey was the quintessential all-pro tight end, up close to the line, and downfield.

dominizzo said:
We never had a good tight end except for MC Mike. I say IMO the best ever TE to play the game Ben Coates, his stats are good but boy his blocking was amazing, i know uguys are gonna say Sharpe Gonzo but i liked Coates, the guy was a special player, i also think Wes Walls was good also, the TE's are quality ones that u will never find again there just leaders and special to an organization

:lol: :rofl3: :rofl: :vault: :rofl4: :spit: :lolcry: :roflmao:
Ben Coates. That some funny sh*t right there

zachseau13 said:
Good list, but I would definitely add Russ Francis to the list

Gad, incredibly embarrassing it took nearly 70 posts before someone correctly added Russ Francis, especially when you consider all the Ben Coates mentions. Francis was a freak, big and agile. The league had no answer for him in the mid to late '70s when the Patriots were a perennial tease, supposedly the most talented team in the league (and legit, IMO) but never fulfilling that in the postseason or even making it that far.

To be fair, the Pats were screwed in the '76 playoffs at Oakland, worst home field officiating favoritism I've ever seen by far. Madden's one title is phony. Phil Villipiano relentlessly grabbed Russ Francis on several key plays in the 4th quarter. The NBC crew was in disbelief at the non-calls. It still wasn't enough until the phantom roughing the passer call on Sugar Bear Hamilton on 4th and long in the final minute, Stabler tossing it harmlessly out of bounds then bailed out. So whenever a Raider fan whines about the tuck call of 2001, it was merely a warranted balancing act.

Ditto, and mostly for Ozzie...

ether79 said:
"I would say Ozzie Newsome, or Winslow...."
So would I, and I lean heavily to Ozzie, who made some amazing one handed catches.

Pigskin Pimp said:
Most Fin Fans don't like Sharpe due to the Beef he's had with Marino in the past - that's the only reason he hasn't gotten his due on this board regarding the Question. That Said, Shannon Sharpe is easily the best TE of all time.

Ask any other board without Bias and you'll get the same reply - Shannon Sharpe, First Ballot HOFer and best TE of all Time.

I have no bias and I hate all things Charger (sorry L.T.21)...that being said Kellen Winslow is better then Shannon Sharpe...and it is'nt even that close in my opinion.

In fact...just to annoy some people I'll state my true opinion of Shannon Sharpe. I think he is overrated and would'nt rank him anywhere near the top 5 tight ends of all time. I don't care what the statistics say.

Back
Top Bottom