Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard

I'm not sure what you mean.
If they were to keep him, and just not play him, they have to pay him. If they were willing to pay him, we wouldn't be in this situation.

I suppose if the just wanted to be dicks to prove a point, ala Marcus Allen, they could, but that's a lot of cap to eat, even for this year.

If they were to keep him, and just not play him, they have to pay him. If they were willing to pay him, we wouldn't be in this situation.

I suppose if the just wanted to be dicks to prove a point, ala Marcus Allen, they could, but that's a lot of cap to eat, even for this year.
still having to pay him if he refuses to play would be sucky, but i haven't seen anything indicating we wouldn't go that route if necessary.

it's not like it would hurt our cap this year. his salary is already factored in.

it won't come to that.

I agree. Flores is saying the right things. I don't know if it will work out or anything. X has no leverage and no options. He will most likely either play or lose a ton of money. If some teams gives Miami a bounty, they will trade him but otherwise there's no benefit to giving him away or wrecking their long-term cap and setting a bad precedent by restructuring the contract.
There absolutely is a benefit to trade him. They clear cap space.

still having to pay him if he refuses to play would be sucky, but i haven't seen anything indicating we wouldn't go that route if necessary.

it's not like it would hurt our cap this year. his salary is already factored in.

it won't come to that.
It is factored in, but if he holds out, that cap money will roll over to next season.

we're like $60,000,000 under without it.
What does that have to do with anything?

The premise of the exchange was paying a player to sit. That makes little sense, other than to be a bitch about it. That $ spends next year just the same as now, though it's purchasing power may be a little less.

What does that have to do with anything?

The premise of the exchange was paying a player to sit. That makes little sense, other than to be a bitch about it. That $ spends next year just the same as now, though it's purchasing power may be a little less.
it isn't being a b!tch about it.

it's like "we can't get enough trade capital for you. play under your current contract or don't play at all."

it's extreme, but it's a position available for us to take.

it won't come to that. :)

There absolutely is a benefit to trade him. They clear cap space.
Not for a pittance. Trading him just to create cap space is of little benefit unless they are targeting someone specifically. I'd rather hold on to him all year and re-explore options next year than trading him for close to nothing now.

it isn't being a b!tch about it.

it's like "we can't get enough trade capital for you. play under your current contract or don't play at all."

it's extreme, but it's a position available for us to take.

it won't come to that. :)
I think somewhere we got our wires crossed.

I thought you were saying having him on the roster, but sitting on the bench...lol.

I agree, I have no problem if they refuse to trade him.

I just can't with him saying Miami doesn't respect him, they gave him a chance out of college by drafting him, paid him for 2 years when he really only played one, stood by him during his little domestic dispute, made him the highest paid CB at the time despite his knee injuries. If anyone's being disrespectful it's him.

There are people in this world who's philosophy is 'if I don't ALWAYS get what I want it's cause I'm not respected.

i wouldn't characterize guaranteeing 18 million dollars per year for three years to a 28 year old player as "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious super duper wow amaze abundantly friendly reasonable cap friendly team friendly wow amaze" proposal as X did in his little IG diatribe.
(and even if we did something like that, our cap flexibility would be fine).
Sure, our cap flexibility would be fine until he inevitably gets hurt and potentially never returns to full strength. Instead of going after Byron, he should’ve went after Fuller and DVP. They paid them knowing they’d be hurt at some point

He signed the contract in 2018 and made a cost benefit analysis (whether he realized it or not) to gain financial certainty in exchange for the opportunity cost of potentially a bigger pay day down the line. He had issues being available at the time so i don't necessarily knock him for signing the deal entirely. If he didn't fully understand what he was doing when he signed the deal that's on the agent. If it's the same agent then that is trying to fix it now, then that's also on him for keeping the guy.

I'm all for getting yours and getting paid, but i'm not buying this bad faith narrative. The Dolphins bet on him in 2018 and came out roses, he should of believed in himself as much as the Dolphins believed in him.

Back
Top Bottom