Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Flores believes “there’s a way” to work things out with Xavien Howard

Flores being positive and expressing open mindedness is smart at multiple levels. Either he loves X and the willingness to have dialogue is sincere or, if he gets dealt, the Dolphins are trying to build up value by not sounding desperate.

If offers are along the lines of a second and an average player, no way would I deal him.

My prediction is they work something out with X.

One side benefit here. The microscope on X distracts the shiny-object-media from over-analyzing Tua’s every toss.
You have several good points.
1. Flo is helping with the keep him angle and the trade value angle
2. It is a negative distraction but it does take some heat off of Tua (I had not thought of that).

If the X statement is correct, it sounds like X made several fair proposals and if they were turned down it sounds as if we do not want X back.
Next question then is why did we need the 4 M cap space from McKinneys contract redo? For X? For a new QB? For just general future use?

You have several good points.
1. Flo is helping with the keep him angle and the trade value angle
2. It is a negative distraction but it does take some heat off of Tua (I had not thought of that).

If the X statement is correct, it sounds like X made several fair proposals and if they were turned down it sounds as if we do not want X back.
Next question then is why did we need the 4 M cap space from McKinneys contract redo? For X? For a new QB? For just general future use?

"Fair" from X's standpoint. Not saying I don't believe it, but one side talking

The major problem with this is that it sets a precedent that this kind of behavior is OK…

Does Flo really want to see this situation arise again with other impact players?

The major problem with this is that it sets a precedent that this kind of behavior is OK…

Does Flo really want to see this situation arise again with other impact players?

Which is why Miami is playing tough

There IS a way to work things out.

It's called a trade.

BYE.

Since you are so validated by wanting to get paid for what you have done, please return the checks we paid you when you were injured and you did NOTHING.

I've said elsewhere, I'm certain X's agents has received feelers from other teams. He should have an idea what 'the market' is, both in # of teams and $ amount. Wouldn't surprise me Grier has received feelers from teams on what Miami expects in return. It seems reasonable no team has made an offer acceptable to X and Miami. I only see three outcomes
1) X plays in Miami
2) Miami takes a haircut to get rid of him.
3) A deal is reached.
I doubt #2

I think the difference between X and the Fins is simple:

When a team is disgruntled, a player gets traded or released. The team loses that player's on the field impact.

When a player is disgruntled, they do whatever they can to get out of their contract and get traded. The player loses value and money.

It's a no win.

There IS a way to work things out.

It's called a trade.

BYE.

Since you are so validated by wanting to get paid for what you have done, please return the checks we paid you when you were injured and you did NOTHING.
To be fair to X, in 2019 he could have continued playing. Miami made that call to wrap him in bubbles for 2020.

I've said elsewhere, I'm certain X's agents has received feelers from other teams. He should have an idea what 'the market' is, both in # of teams and $ amount. Wouldn't surprise me Grier has received feelers from teams on what Miami expects in return. It seems reasonable no team has made an offer acceptable to X and Miami. I only see three outcomes
1) X plays in Miami
2) Miami takes a haircut to get rid of him.
3) A deal is reached.
I doubt #2
X will not be a Miami Dolphin after this has concluded.

There is no evidence to support Miami's current leadership has or will succumb to these tactics.

The only element of this situation that is not positionally advantageous to Miami IS the social media salvo's fired by X. But even X is inflicting as much silent damage to his own cause than he is helping. It's just Miami "pays" first in the public eye with the immediate fallout and perceived damage to his trade value.

But what is not highlighted, discussed and analyzed is how much money in his resultant salary that he has forfeited being a "problem" for his new team. Whatever his value WAS... is NOT anymore.

He may walk away with a new contract and guaranteed money that pay him "X" dollars. However, his value BEFORE his tantrum was much higher and he forfeited premium dollars to get his new money.

The ignorance remark of not understanding what he signed may play well as a headline, but savvy business owners, GMs and HCs now have also seen him admit he doesn't understand what he is doing and can be manipulated again.

The modern era of social media negotiating tactics have yet to make any true changes to salary structures and contracts. For all of the money people may claim it has yielded to a few players, how much money was left on the table? And how many other players paid the real cost of those "victories" with shortened contracts or lost employment as a result of being cut or traded to concede those demands.

It is a salary CAP system; someone ALWAYS pays when someone wants more. The CAP doesn't increase because players want more money.

These efforts are not improving anything except the perceived fortunes of the player who is complaining. But how much damage is he doing to everyone else? And how much money has he left on the table because he was too worried with his own image and fortunes instead of honoring the contact he signed?

If players really wanted to initiate real change, they would sign more intelligent contracts that protect guaranteed money while allowing more bonus money when they DO produce. But the fact is most people want to believe that structure already exists, when it does only in theory; not practice.

He was paid when he was hurt. The team honored their part of the agreement. And now he doesn't want to perform to the same contract he also signed that HE should have made sure protected him if he produced MORE.

AAV is killing the player's perception to understand what IS "fair pay".

Better contracts need to be pursued. Instead of relying on lawyers and agents to bail you out of a poorly negotiated contract that you were thrilled to sign but hated the reality just a year or two later.

Soap-Box-Mode: Off.

Back
Top Bottom