Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback?

Tannehill averaged only 29.9 passing attempts per game in 2016, which ranked a lowly 29th. That led to an equally disastrous average of 230.4 yards per game through the air, a drop of 32.6 yards from 2015.

When Russel Wilson does it, he's elite, when its Tannehill, its a limited and managed workload...

Russell Wilson's career avg attempts per game: 29.52
Russell Wilson's avg yards per game: 231

He improved as a deep-ball thrower but still ranked only ninth with an adjusted completion percentage of 47.4 on throws that traveled 20 yards or more through the air, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage is inflated by his lack of attempts too.

LolWUT! How does lack of attempts INFLATE his effeciency?

If that is true why weren't they selected to any Pro Bowls before last season? They might have been good but the great QB play made them get the recognition they had missed the previous 4 seasons.

I can't speak on behalf of Pro Bowl voters. But PFF had Johnson ranked as the #2 RT in 2015, and Ertz was top 10 in the league in yardage, despite not starting most of the games.

Top running game BECAUSE of Russel Wilson. You do realize they were 31st and 21st in rushing before Wilson came aboard IN 2012. With the addition of his 500 yards rushing per season it pushed them into the top 4 for 4 straight seasons. Lynch got extra opportunities because Wilson converted first downs with his legs. This past season Wilson only rushed for 259 yards and they dropped back into the 20's rushing.

If you take away the Wilson and Tannehill running stats from each team and just compare the yards by running back you will see the benefit isn't as bad as you make it out to be. From 2012 to 2016 you are only talking 16 yards per game.

Personally I attribute the 16 yards per game to having more opportunities. Wilson has beaten Tannehill every season in 3rd down conversions. This along with a great defense gives them more chances to run up the rushing yards.

Now I'll give you the defensive differences over the same period.

Top running game because of Marshawn Lynch. Wilson got yards because of teams keying on Marshawn.

When Russel Wilson does it, he's elite, when its Tannehill, its a limited and managed workload...

LolWUT! How does lack of attempts INFLATE his effeciency?

Oh, don't forget the streak in 2016 where they won a whole ****-ton of close games. If another QB does it, he's clutch, and "can get it done when it matters." If Tannehill does it, he's getting lucky and "nearly choking."

This is a game of four-year windows for QBs. If you whiff on a QB it sets you back for more than four years only if you are stupid, like the Dolphins, the Bengals, the Lions. It can set you back for fifteen years like that.
If you completely whiff on a Qb like Browns with Manziel it sets you back for a season the most.
But what sets you back the most is not hitting on a QB, or not taking a chance on a new four year window when you do not have the phenom.

It is a four year window if the QB is not performing. It is "as long as it takes" when the issue is the rest of the roster.

Already told you, different color uniform makes the stats look a whole lot better.

And the flip side of your argument is the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles. They were us in 2015. I guess you missed the last season in the NFL because you were too busy defending Ryan Tannehill every chance you got.

I know, because Nick Foles is all world, am I right? LOL

Already told you, different color uniform makes the stats look a whole lot better.

Nonsense. Elite quarterbacks have to be good enough to completely overcome tragically flawed teams, or at least good enough to mask those flaws from opponents. THAT is an Elite QB, like Marino, who dragged teams that had no business being in the playoffs and overcame every obstacle to win a championship all by HIMSE...

...oh, wait.

Wilson has beaten Tannehill every season in 3rd down conversions. This along with a great defense gives them more chances to run up the rushing yards.

Now I'll give you the defensive differences over the same period.

3rd down passer rating in 2016:

Wilson - 3rd 82 147 65 55.78 1083 6 56 3 84.4

Tannehill - 3rd 69 118 49 58.47 883 7 43 4 87.6

3rd down conversions from 2012 to 2016

Russel Wilson - 424
Ryan Tannehill/Matt Moore - 366

58 more chances to run the ball and pile up rushing yards. As opposed to punting

If its 3rd and 7 and Tannehill completes a pass behind the line of scrimmage and the WR gets 5 yards, is that a favorable play when it comes to passer rating?

That is all he cares about. plucking stats that make Ryan comparable to Russel Wilson. Laughable.

That is all he cares about. plucking stats that make Ryan comparable to Russel Wilson. Laughable.

HE'S plucking stats?

You accusing someone else of cherrypicking stats in this thread is like OJ Simpson telling someone else they have an anger management problem.

Back
Top Bottom