Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Build Around Tannehill Or Make A Move At Quarterback?

3rd down conversions from 2012 to 2016

Russel Wilson - 424
Ryan Tannehill/Matt Moore - 366

58 more chances to run the ball and pile up rushing yards. As opposed to punting
Im not saying anything either way, but this is useless if we dont know the number of opportunities...

And I was replying to this post,
You may have missed this:

"Tannehill improved in 2016 under Gase, finishing with career bests in yards per attempt (7.7), completion percentage (67.1) and passer rating (93.5). But he did that with a highly managed and limited workload, as the offensive focus shifted elsewhere, which doesn't exactly show confidence in his franchise quarterback status.

Tannehill averaged only 29.9 passing attempts per game in 2016, which ranked a lowly 29th. That led to an equally disastrous average of 230.4 yards per game through the air, a drop of 32.6 yards from 2015.

He improved as a deep-ball thrower but still ranked only ninth with an adjusted completion percentage of 47.4 on throws that traveled 20 yards or more through the air, according to Pro Football Focus. That percentage is inflated by his lack of attempts too.

He also isn't comfortable under pressure, even after five seasons and 77 games of NFL experience. In 2016, Tannehill recorded a passer rating of 49.1 when under pressure, per PFF, which ranked seventh-worst of the 33 quarterbacks who logged at least 200 passing attempts.

His play, contract and injury have put the Dolphins in a position that seems difficult but should instead be treated as a golden opportunity to draft a better and cheaper quarterback.

NFL roster construction is a process rooted in maximizing value. The goal is to squeeze as much as possible out of every dollar before smacking up against the salary cap.

That means discarding veterans who are broken, underproducing or unnecessarily expensive. Tannehill is all three, which means the beginning of the end of his time in Miami could come on opening night of the 2018 draft."

Last edited: Saturday at 5:41 PM

To show the poster that what he describes as a "managed and limited workload" and calls 230 yds per game "disastrous" is actually, give or take .5 yards, the exact production of a QB who is regarded as elite...

Have you guys ever seen Russell Wilson compete? He does whatever it takes to win, a free rusher means nothing to him.

"
Top running game BECAUSE of Russel Wilson. You do realize they were 31st and 21st in rushing before Wilson came aboard IN 2012. With the addition of his 500 yards rushing per season it pushed them into the top 4 for 4 straight seasons. Lynch got extra opportunities because Wilson converted first downs with his legs. This past season Wilson only rushed for 259 yards and they dropped back into the 20's rushing.".

I would draw a comparison between Wilson and #17 in the respect that when RT was healthy and running the read option, Ajayi had some of his best games. I attribute that to the run pass option, and RT taking off on a couple of big runs that changed the balance of the D. Cutler and Moore had none of that which clogged up the middle for Ajayi and brought us more 3rd and longs. There's a pattern there, and that's why a QB that's a threat to run is so valuable. I'm a fan but #17 needs to make a substantial move this year

3rd down conversions from 2012 to 2016

Russel Wilson - 424
Ryan Tannehill/Matt Moore - 366

58 more chances to run the ball and pile up rushing yards. As opposed to punting

Those are the counts for THOSE INDIVIDUALS? or should that read Seattle - 424, Miami - 366?

I like Rosen and Mayfield, if neither is available at 11 (no fn way I trade up) then draft a defensive player, go TE in the second and then start thinking QB. Tannehill is not as bad as I and some other make him out to be but he also is not as good as some make him out to be. There is no reason to panic and reach at 11, get a developmental guy in the 3rd or the 4th go with Tannehill one more year then go from there.

I agree. A very sound and reasonable approach. I would say this - If any of the top 4 QB prospects "fall" to #11 --- there will have to be a REASON because the league is starving for QBs and top prospects don't drop out of the top 10 unless there's a significant ???

For me -- I'd pass on Rosen for a number of reasons -- most of all because IMO he lacks the fundamental TUFFness NFL QB is about -- which is probably Thills #1 quality!

Despite my urge to resist replying & chalking up any comparisons between RT & Wilson under the old "there are none so blind as those who choose not to see" saying......The majority of knowledgeable Dolphins fans would trade Tannehill and their left nut for Wilson in a heartbeat.

Think Seahawks fans would do the same trade for Tannehill??? (even without the left nut included?)

Tannehill is gonna straight shut you haters up this season, once and for all, I can’t wait.

Despite my urge to resist replying & chalking up any comparisons between RT & Wilson under the old "there are none so blind as those who choose not to see" saying......The majority of knowledgeable Dolphins fans would trade Tannehill and their left nut for Wilson in a heartbeat.

Think Seahawks fans would do the same trade for Tannehill??? (even without the left nut included?)

Do you ever post anything that is actually factual in natural or is hyperbole your only approach?

I don't know... I tend to believe Wilson has been significantly overrated because of the TEAM and OL he's been surrounded with. I mean that stupid bowl INT was just beyond AWFUL!

Serious choke -- when of course everyone knows they should have just run the rock and --- Pete Carroll -- showed why he was kicked out of the NFL at one time and made his mark @USC.

That said, I'm not a Wilson detractor -- but he's had some huge benefits in his career that Ryan has not.

Last -- all this stuff is a tad silly because Gase and Thill etc. have a lot to prove this season -- and the proof will be very clear pretty soon.

I hope they do well. But...

I'm fairly certain that the comparison was originally made to point out that a surrounding cast is absolutely vital to the success or failure of a QB, and then spiraled out of control because people were trying to shoehorn stats to fit their argument.

I believe Russell Wilson is a superior QB to Tannehill, but I do not believe he would have had much more success with the Dolphins than Tannehill has had.

I also am fairly certain that most Dolphins fans, regardless of how knowledgable you deem them, are thankful that you cannot decide either the outcome of Miami's QB situation or the fate of their testicles.

Do you ever post anything that is actually factual in natural or is hyperbole your only approach?

Not a fact huh??....You thinking most Dolphins fans wouldn't do that trade in a second marks you as a delusional Tannefanboy.

As a weekend warrior football fan that make my living doing other things, I have a lot of faith in those in the league, getting a paycheck from a real NFL team, whose job and reputation are on the line and who have everything in their lives at risk making the choice on our future franchise quarterback. Commenting is pure fun and a little obsessive and shows we love the game more than the ones who don’t seek out football talk like it’s a fix. In Gase I trust. My wish as a fan is that Tannehill is not the ceiling for my team. I want the guy that is going to light it up and make the Dolphins relevant again. To me Tannehill has always been just ok, and I have written many times that it is probably unfair to him to be in the shadow of Marino and how high the bar was set in many of the Miami fan minds. We want a Montana, Marino, Elway, HOF two time Super Bowl winner or else they suck. Buyer beware but I’m all in for drafting one of the guys high if there is some indication to the brain trust that this guy just might be the one. I need a good reason to devote my time to sitting for three hours, because I don’t do that for anything else, and the team owners know it. Tannehill plays a little boring way too often and that’s not good enough.

Back
Top Bottom