Calm Down | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Calm Down

I dont think Im being way off making the basic assumption that teams who get to pick first have some flaws in the FO, CS and roster overall. In other words, the fact so many early picks bust is not a reflection of the value of draft picks, it just showcases how much bad teams make terrible decisions with them on top of having those selections playing on bad teams.

Being on the side not upset about winning these last 2, i'd say this is a fair point about draft pick performance.

Exactly, people get fixated on one player they think is the best. Thats their hero, I respect their opinion, but they are so closed minded that there may be another player that can elevate this team. Its that one player or bust in their eyes. Like Tua for example, or Burrow, it has the entire forum so divided.
I think there's a false perception that the entire rebuild was about getting one specific quarterback. I doubt that was the case.

Yeah we will be trash with Rosen leading this team. We have already seen that song and dance. Keep acting like the QB position isnt that important to this team.
Not saying it's not important. I'm saying that without a solid supporting cast a rookie QB is worthless. You then waste 5 years and still don't know what you have in them a la Tannehill.

We also haven't seen the Rosen "song and dance". The kid has been surrounded by two awful supporting casts and has changed systems. If after this off-season he doesn't make strides then it's worth cutting bait. Just remember, he's 22. Of course the 36yo vet is doing better with this squad.

People on here dont understand..when u pick a qb in top5. He must be ready to play from day one. In 90% of case they are not ready. Teams rush them on field and expect them to be great right out door. That why bears,brown, ten, Tampa,jets are having problem w these young qb. U still need team around them. In 4 yr these team will be drafting another qb in first rd.

That's the thing; you DON'T have to do that in this scenario. It is entirely possible that the Fins will draft a QB in the first round, keep Rosen AND Fitz, and let them all compete for the job. Draft BPA with the other 5 picks in the first two rounds, and the rebuild has taken the next step.

The last 2 weeks have thrown a wrench into what could possibly transpire come end of April.

We can't cease operations as an NFL franchise because we don't have the No.1 pick in the draft.

I'd like to be top 3 though and guarantee us the consolation prize of Chase Young with an outside shot at Burrow/Tua.

The plan is constantly evolving and it might just morph into "getting our QB next year" kind of a plan that sees use our picks to load up on future picks.

Let's draft 20-25 guys over the next 2 years, 10 or so in the top 2 rounds and then we will see where we are in the rebuild.

This logic is flawed... You're implying these players pick themselves and all end up in the same situation. This is not the case. Reality is GMs make mistakes and the way things are set up, bad teams get to pick 1st.

I dont think Im being way off making the basic assumption that teams who get to pick first have some flaws in the FO, CS and roster overall. In other words, the fact so many early picks bust is not a reflection of the value of draft picks, it just showcases how much bad teams make terrible decisions with them on top of having those selections playing on bad teams.

Saying its all a gamble anyway is such a lazy cop out IMO...

It is a gamble.

There are things a team can do to reduce the gamble like good scouting and a behavior analysis of a preferred picks personality traits, in order to help insure a successful draft pick.

Trying to differentiate any group of 5 top prospects (the FO's, not the fan's) will probably be a wash.

Not saying it's not important. I'm saying that without a solid supporting cast a rookie QB is worthless. You then waste 5 years and still don't know what you have in them a la Tannehill.

We also haven't seen the Rosen "song and dance". The kid has been surrounded by two awful supporting casts and has changed systems. If after this off-season he doesn't make strides then it's worth cutting bait. Just remember, he's 22. Of course the 36yo vet is doing better with this squad.

****ing sit him for a year then. Jesus Christ. We dont have to drop him in day one. you got to get the QB at some point. You cant keep kicking the can down the road forever until we have this magically landing spot for a QB.

And no. Rosen is done. Dont tell me about how terrible this team is when Fitzpatrick has come in since he got canned in the skinz game and won two games. Nearly three games if Rosen **** all over himself in the skinz game.

It is a gamble.

There are things a team can do to reduce the gamble like good scouting and a behavior analysis of a preferred picks personality traits, in order to help insure a successful draft pick.

Trying to differentiate any group of 5 top prospects (the FO's, not the fan's) will probably be a wash.
Why is the 1st overall pick more valuable than the 2nd, and the 2nd more valuable than the 3rd? and so on? Surely I think you at the very least agree with the value of picks going down as you go down the order?

That's the thing; you DON'T have to do that in this scenario. It is entirely possible that the Fins will draft a QB in the first round, keep Rosen AND Fitz, and let them all compete for the job. Draft BPA with the other 5 picks in the first two rounds, and the rebuild has taken the next step.
I would let both of them walk at qb. We need up grade that position.

Why is the 1st overall pick more valuable than the 2nd, and the 2nd more valuable than the 3rd? and so on? Surely I think you at the very least agree with the value of picks going down as you go down the order?
dolphins will not have first pick next yr. We still got 2 more win to go. Tua will be there at 4 or 5 in draft.

Actually, that is where I think our biggest disagreement is at. It would seem that an earlier pick is better, but that is only true if you get what you really want.

Past draft performances shows that even highly rated draft picks don't always result in getting a successful NFL player. There are a lot of reasons this is so, but the important aspect to me is that for any small number of sequential picks (ex. 1, 2 and 3) or even just close picks (ex. 2, 4 and 6), the practical result of getting a winner are probably pretty much even. This is a because so many variables, such as skill, maturity, life style and willingness to learn are so hard to quantify in a meaningful manner; that a statistical analysis is less useful then when dealing with easily quantifiable variables.

I hope my argument makes sense to you.

Still need be up grade. Starter or backup. Rosen doesn't have it. Fitzpatrick thank for this yr but it time move on.
Like I said....draft a QB in the first (I am of the opinion that Burrow would still be there at 5, and Fromm would be available with the 2nd first round pick)....then go into camp with the rookie, Rosen, and Fitz.

If the rookie breaks out, awesome. If he doesn't, it's ok. This team isn't winning the Super Bowl in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom