Carr to Panthers | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carr to Panthers

Not gonna happen. With Cleveland in the mix the Dolphins are not going to be able to be cheap like they were trying to be. Green is worth more than that 6th you got for Mare. Cleveland knows we are asking for a first day pick for Green and they are still interested.

And we do have the cap room to keep him if we don't trade him. Therefore, you guys will not be able to simply refuse to trade for him so you can pick him up as a free agent.

Whether it's the Dolphins or the Browns, we are getting a 3rd or 4th out of Green.

That may be true(about the cap space) but why waste it on someone you guys obviously dont want? That would be a huge mistake. KC is trying to trade him so they DON'T have to pay him. And do you really think Miami is being "cheap" because we won't give a 3rd rounder for a 37 year old QB passed his prime and coming off a serious injury, who was never great to begin with?? I wouldn't call that "cheap", i'd call that "smart". We already made a mistake overpaying for an injured QB. Why do it again? If Cleveand is dumb enough to part with a 3rd or 4th for Green, then they can have him IMO. I would be upset if Miami even gave up a 6th for him.

Another step in the long walk of stupidy....welcome Trent Green....Welcome to the MASH unit...called Miami Dolphins.

Anything more then a 4th to 5th round pick for Green and I will be pissed! I think a fourth is stretching but I have a feeling with green under centre next year this offense will be more controlled and there will be less flaws however he is 37 and giving up a high to mid round pick is ridiculous because he is only good for 2 years if were lucky!

That may be true(about the cap space) but why waste it on someone you guys obviously dont want? That would be a huge mistake. KC is trying to trade him so they DON'T have to pay him. And do you really think Miami is being "cheap" because we won't give a 3rd rounder for a 37 year old QB passed his prime and coming off a serious injury, who was never great to begin with?? I wouldn't call that "cheap", i'd call that "smart". We already made a mistake overpaying for an injured QB. Why do it again? If Cleveand is dumb enough to part with a 3rd or 4th for Green, then they can have him IMO. I would be upset if Miami even gave up a 6th for him.

With three straight 4000 yard seasons I wouldn't call him mediocre. He may not be considered great but he has been good. I don't necessarily want him because he is 37 but he has been more consistant than Culpepper or any one else we have had since Marino.

LOL!!! Yes, Houston is the braintrust of the league... if THEY cut him, Carr must be trash, right???
Cuz after all, they have pulled SO many savy, intelligent moves haven't they? Right up thru passing on Reggie Bush. Perhaps that is why they are such a successful franchise!

Those who bashed me, fine, you will see. I've been a round a lot longer than probably all of you, a fan since 1971, so I've seen a few things.

Carr would be no "patch". Playing for us could have resurrected his career similar to another 27 year old last year in the league... a guy named Brees. Carr IS that capable. Give him a good system, a supporting cast, and he would have shown you.

Remember me when Delomme gets hurt and Carr shows what he can do.

Until then, go ahead and call me a frustrated fan, or whatever. I've seen bonehead decisions over the years, and this one ranks with them.

Thank you for writing that so I didn't have to. :ninja:

No one knows who made offers so its stupidity to suggest he signed the first one he got.
Also , from his prespective he is backing up a 32 yr old who lost some time last year due to injury and is not back to form in 2 yrs with time to learn a new system.
Alot of players has excelled with a change of teams ,also he has been a good QB when on his 2 feet .Being 27 he is going to get his shot with a better team soon .Hopefuly, he will do better .Having steve smith is not going to hurt.

Btw, last 10yr only 2 SB has been won by QB`s drafted in the first round.

I think its obvious we never had any real interest in Carr. I say this because if we did, he could have been flying to Miami on Wayne's plane hours after he was cut. But no. We waited, we thought about it, we debated setting up a visit, we had some brief disucssions... you get the idea. Its very simple. We had the cap room. We had the need. We had the ability to offer him the opportunity to compete for a starting job. And we did not. Why? Because Randy and Cam didnt want the guy! I think its as clear as crystal. They, like many of us, dont want a guy that has been given every opportunity, some good coaching from a QB guru, and has struggled tremendously. Sound familiar? Joey Harrington? Hello? Same things we said about him last year were being said about Carr. "Get him out of Detroit! Get him away from that franchise! What a steal!" And we all saw how that turned out. So kudos to Randy and Cam for realizing that this organization has taken another team's trash for the final time. If anything, the WannSpeil move would have been going hard after Carr, crowining him as the QB of the future, and giving him a six year, 48 million dollar contract. I certianly dont feel we "lost out" here. Carr could have been ours if we wanted him. He clearly delayed signing with Carolina to wait for visits with us and Oakland. When we informed his people it wouldnt happen, he signed with Carolina.

Now, as for the KC fan who seems to think the Chiefs have the cap room to keep Trent and will get a 3rd or 4th, he obviously doesnt understand the business side of this. Sure, you have the cap room, but there is no freakin way that the Chiefs keep a 7.2 million dollar backup QB who wants out. Make no mistake about it, Trent Green wants out. And those guys dont stick around. Beyond the fact that its not good for the team, like it or not, Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards respect Trent and will give him the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere. Now, believe it or not, I can once again compare a situation to Joey Harrington. Last year, Cleveland was interested in Joey and would have potentially offered up a higher draft pick. Did we budge? No. Because Joey wanted to be here, and had the ability to dictate where he ended up. He would only restructure his contract to play for the Miami Dolphins. Cleveland wanted to acquire him? Go ahead. Be prepared to pay him upwards of 5 million dollars per season. Wasnt going to happen. Trent is in the exact same scenario; no way Cleveland acquires him and pays him 7 million dollars. He will have to restructure. And, beyond the fact that his agent has already expressed his intentions to be a Miami Dolphin (they came close to working out a contract, last we heard), there is also his connection to Cam Cameron and Terry Shea, two very good friends of his. So, in the end, like it or not, Trent Green will be a Dolphin for a low draft pick. Sorry to burst your bubble and explain the reality of the situation to you, but it had to be done.

Is Trent a good move for the Fins? I think so. I really do. He has the ability to be a mentor for whoever we draft (at this point, hopefully Brady Quinn), while starting at QB and giving this team the opportunity to win every Sunday. We have a stout defense in place. No question about it. We have two star running backs. We have two former pro bowl WRs, who while having difficult seasons last year, have shown the ability to get open and make plays when playing with an adequate quarterback. Its not like these two guys have ever played with pro bowler caliber guys, even if you go back to Marty's days in Chicago. Yes, the line is looking scary, but thats why we dont play the games tomorrow. I expect a complete overhaul in April's draft. We have a proven system and a HC that will put everything he has into this offense. All this team needed last season was a QB to get the balls to our playmakers consistently. Add Ricky back into the mix, giving us one of the top running games in the NFL, and this team has the potential to surprise some people and make some noise in the AFC.

What does it mean for Daunte? Im not sure at this point. What I do know, is that QB school began this week. Im interested in hearing Cam's comments, which I assume will happen beginning with next week's minicamps. However, Daunte should be participating, according to Coach's comments earlier in March, so I think this will be a make or break two weeks for Pep. Cam will finally be able to get his hands dirty, work with him, assess not only his physical strengths but his ability to read defenses, coverages and adjust to what he has in front of him. Then, and only then, will we have a better idea of what this team has in Daunte Culpepper. Thats when I expect a decision to be made on Green. Regardless, a QB in the draft is a must, and I think Randy and company see it that way as well... which is quite refreshing.

Anything more then a 4th to 5th round pick for Green and I will be pissed! I think a fourth is stretching but I have a feeling with green under centre next year this offense will be more controlled and there will be less flaws however he is 37 and giving up a high to mid round pick is ridiculous because he is only good for 2 years if were lucky!

We don't have a 5th round pick. I would say nothing higher then a 6th round pick for Green.

I liked Carr. I thought he would be a viaable backup but then again Im sure Muler knows what hes talkin about. Im a little more woried about the o-Line right now than our QB position. I understand there is a huge question in Culpepper but I think we have to belive that he can do it. We've invested a seccond round pick in him and he once was the seccond best QB behind only Peyton Manning. The o-line is well for lack of a better word not there. We have who RT Vernon Carey, C Rex Hadnot and guard Chris Liwienski (no clue if hes a starter or a backup). Everyone else was let go and not replaced and the market is now thin. So that being said our o-line last year was better than no o-line this year.
Welcome to FH.

If the Chiefs were cool with taking a 6th for Green (they won't be), and he signed for a medium-low starter salary...I'd hope they snatched him up in a heartbeat. Anything more than that...not a big fan.

Another step in the long walk of stupidy....welcome Trent Green....Welcome to the MASH unit...called Miami Dolphins.

I am so gad that you know how to run this team better, because every move we make, you second quess. I have a question: Are you a fan of this team?

I have never seen a even remotely positive post by you

Did you even consider whether Carr would fit into the system or not? Were you in the middle of negoitations? Do you know what the dolphins are going to do?

They may come to trade for Green or allow him to hit the open market and then draft a QB, so Green could help him. What is the problem with the plan?

I am so gad that you know how to run this team better, because every move we make, you second quess. I have a question: Are you a fan of this team?

I have never seen a even remotely positive post by you

Did you even consider whether Carr would fit into the system or not? Were you in the middle of negoitations? Do you know what the dolphins are going to do?

They may come to trade for Green or allow him to hit the open market and then draft a QB, so Green could help him. What is the problem with the plan?

I feel the love :sidelol:

Well guys ,sounds fine to me.. Guess he wasnt a target.if he was im sure he would be a fin by now. All i care about is getting one in the draft ...

I think its obvious we never had any real interest in Carr. I say this because if we did, he could have been flying to Miami on Wayne's plane hours after he was cut. But no. We waited, we thought about it, we debated setting up a visit, we had some brief disucssions... you get the idea. Its very simple. We had the cap room. We had the need. We had the ability to offer him the opportunity to compete for a starting job. And we did not. Why? Because Randy and Cam didnt want the guy! I think its as clear as crystal. They, like many of us, dont want a guy that has been given every opportunity, some good coaching from a QB guru, and has struggled tremendously. Sound familiar? Joey Harrington? Hello? Same things we said about him last year were being said about Carr. "Get him out of Detroit! Get him away from that franchise! What a steal!" And we all saw how that turned out. So kudos to Randy and Cam for realizing that this organization has taken another team's trash for the final time. If anything, the WannSpeil move would have been going hard after Carr, crowining him as the QB of the future, and giving him a six year, 48 million dollar contract. I certianly dont feel we "lost out" here. Carr could have been ours if we wanted him. He clearly delayed signing with Carolina to wait for visits with us and Oakland. When we informed his people it wouldnt happen, he signed with Carolina.

Now, as for the KC fan who seems to think the Chiefs have the cap room to keep Trent and will get a 3rd or 4th, he obviously doesnt understand the business side of this. Sure, you have the cap room, but there is no freakin way that the Chiefs keep a 7.2 million dollar backup QB who wants out. Make no mistake about it, Trent Green wants out. And those guys dont stick around. Beyond the fact that its not good for the team, like it or not, Carl Peterson and Herm Edwards respect Trent and will give him the opportunity to continue his career elsewhere. Now, believe it or not, I can once again compare a situation to Joey Harrington. Last year, Cleveland was interested in Joey and would have potentially offered up a higher draft pick. Did we budge? No. Because Joey wanted to be here, and had the ability to dictate where he ended up. He would only restructure his contract to play for the Miami Dolphins. Cleveland wanted to acquire him? Go ahead. Be prepared to pay him upwards of 5 million dollars per season. Wasnt going to happen. Trent is in the exact same scenario; no way Cleveland acquires him and pays him 7 million dollars. He will have to restructure. And, beyond the fact that his agent has already expressed his intentions to be a Miami Dolphin (they came close to working out a contract, last we heard), there is also his connection to Cam Cameron and Terry Shea, two very good friends of his. So, in the end, like it or not, Trent Green will be a Dolphin for a low draft pick. Sorry to burst your bubble and explain the reality of the situation to you, but it had to be done.

Is Trent a good move for the Fins? I think so. I really do. He has the ability to be a mentor for whoever we draft (at this point, hopefully Brady Quinn), while starting at QB and giving this team the opportunity to win every Sunday. We have a stout defense in place. No question about it. We have two star running backs. We have two former pro bowl WRs, who while having difficult seasons last year, have shown the ability to get open and make plays when playing with an adequate quarterback. Its not like these two guys have ever played with pro bowler caliber guys, even if you go back to Marty's days in Chicago. Yes, the line is looking scary, but thats why we dont play the games tomorrow. I expect a complete overhaul in April's draft. We have a proven system and a HC that will put everything he has into this offense. All this team needed last season was a QB to get the balls to our playmakers consistently. Add Ricky back into the mix, giving us one of the top running games in the NFL, and this team has the potential to surprise some people and make some noise in the AFC.

What does it mean for Daunte? Im not sure at this point. What I do know, is that QB school began this week. Im interested in hearing Cam's comments, which I assume will happen beginning with next week's minicamps. However, Daunte should be participating, according to Coach's comments earlier in March, so I think this will be a make or break two weeks for Pep. Cam will finally be able to get his hands dirty, work with him, assess not only his physical strengths but his ability to read defenses, coverages and adjust to what he has in front of him. Then, and only then, will we have a better idea of what this team has in Daunte Culpepper. Thats when I expect a decision to be made on Green. Regardless, a QB in the draft is a must, and I think Randy and company see it that way as well... which is quite refreshing.

Good points. For once we have a head coach who is a QB guru working alongside another QB guru in Terry Shea, and then you add Mueller's scouting of QBs, if they didn't want anything to do with Carr, and think we're that much better for it.

Back
Top Bottom