Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choosing From Nelson, James, R. Smith

not sure if you were asking me about Hamilton or not but I will pass...looks like a poor mans cooper kupp

have to be a late rounder for me

gallup was the most interesting wr I saw at the senior bowl come the end of the game...the lsu kid has talent but I don't think he fits what Miami would look for...more ted ginn type ask... thing about gallup is though im not sure I see the option route 2 way go guy who is gonna always read coverage correctly....looks to me more like the slot that runs routes to deeper depths less option...I think that2 way go correct coverage read guy is more Christian kirk but I also think kirk is slow...slot version of larry fitzgerald without the high point leap ability coming out of pitt...like the size like the separation in and out of cuts and like the smarts when it comes to coverage reads but I think I may see a 6 on that timed speed and those slot guys who don't have top end speed usually last on the draft board...I'd expect to see him on there at 43

how much does that really fix our lack of explosive break away in the slot though should juice leave? not much I'd say...dj moore might be a better option...none of these guys are burners

I wouldn't take any wrs in the first in this class, I like Hamiltons feet better than Kupps coming out, Honestly I think DJ could make a case as the best wr in this draft, Kirk has some Golden Tate aspects to his game but ur right I don't think he's fast.

I wouldn't take any wrs in the first in this class, I like Hamiltons feet better than Kupps coming out, Honestly I think DJ could make a case as the best wr in this draft, Kirk has some Golden Tate aspects to his game but ur right I don't think he's fast.

i think kupp separated more at the senior bowl than Hamilton...Hamilton ran good routes but in the game dbs were in his hip all over the field...

I don't like this wr class...lacks speed which will help keep kids on the board but if im looking to upgrade a late 2nd round pick in juice as a slot I don't think I can do it with a pick that late or later...I think people forget what juices lsu tape looked like and his play speed wasn't as slow as some of these kids play speed is on tape...

I like dj moore I just think he's a little raw and another guy that doesn't have much long speed...quicker than fast and that's ok but I don't want to invest a top 50 pick for that...but the more I look at this class overall regardless of position the more I think kids are gonna be overdrafted for their skill set and tools cause the class lacks grade worthy players

I'm also real glad im not looking to replace dvp in this class

cause I sure don't see it

to me looking at this class and that 5th year option it's a no brainer...I'm buying time with that kid

i think kupp separated more at the senior bowl than Hamilton...Hamilton ran good routes but in the game dbs were in his hip all over the field...

I don't like this wr class...lacks speed which will help keep kids on the board but if im looking to upgrade a late 2nd round pick in juice as a slot I don't think I can do it with a pick that late or later...I think people forget what juices lsu tape looked like and his play speed wasn't as slow as some of these kids play speed is on tape...

I like dj moore I just think he's a little raw and another guy that doesn't have much long speed...quicker than fast and that's ok but I don't want to invest a top 50 pick for that...but the more I look at this class overall regardless of position the more I think kids are gonna be overdrafted for their skill set and tools cause the class lacks grade worthy players

I wouldn't mind a 3 or 4th on Hamilton if he test well his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls reminds me of Thielen, Maryland did use DJ in a gimmicky get the ball to ur playmaker type of way so yea he's gonna be a bit raw in the NFL.

I wouldn't mind a 3 or 4th on Hamilton if he test well his ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls reminds me of Thielen, Maryland did use DJ in a gimmicky get the ball to ur playmaker type of way so yea he's gonna be a bit raw in the NFL.

id be ok with Hamilton in the 4th but I don't think its gonna move the needle all that much

I'm also real glad im not looking to replace dvp in this class

cause I sure don't see it

to me looking at this class and that 5th year option it's a no brainer...I'm buying time with that kid

Treadwell 2015 class was even worse, even though there's no headliners there is a lot of depth with second tier talent in this class.

ive heard vander esch is gonna blow up the combine too...problem with Miami and that is I think it would be a block on raekwon long term at mike...I like that kid but I think he's one of those what do I have in 2 years lbs... I wanted to do better at 43 in this class for 2018 not sure I can

they said vander esch may run 4.60 carry 250 on a 6 foot 4 frame...I will be surprised if he's 250 240 I can see...a little wiry

he's another guy whose instincts at this stage are a little overrated but I'd bet on continued development there

he might be another strong nickel mike option like tremaine Edmunds...got the frame for it...I know the nfl loves that size...Edmunds poa though is ungodly for his age...that dude will be a brick wall when he's done filling out

Last edited:
I think I understand better as to how we might use our LB's if we draft Smith or Edmunds, thanks! What about James? You said we probably wouldn't want to use him as a straight up strong safety. Would he be on the field with either Jones or McDonald and we would just use him differently than those guys, or would he come in as a big nickel?

Note: This is where my football knowledge is starting show it's limits. LOL!
Your limits far exceed many here including myself

Okay, this clip makes be want Nelson. Jesus, how did he see that guy coming and man did he annihilate him? We've got guards that cannot see or touch the player directly in front of them at times.

Good grief!! He has better pocket awareness than many qbs!

Your limits far exceed many here including myself
I appreciate that, you're being nice, but I am mostly a ball watcher. Guys like Omar Kelly make fun of guys like me. I tried to read up on things, but it doesn't help that I am a hands on learner and never have played organized football. A lot of times, I have actually do things to really learn them ( I am not too bright). When the much more knowledgeable guys like Hoops, CK, Boomer, etc. get into the nitty gritty, I am totally lost. It's nice that they dumb it down so those of us around here like me can have actual discussions (if you can call it that). I appreciate the patience these guys show when it comes to guys like me!

I didn't take Hoops response to my question as an endorsement of Kiko, but rather the Dolphins will play him because he is making 10 mil this year. I too, am not a fan of Kiko's play last year, but Hoops was just giving me (us) an idea of what we could expect since Kiko is still on the team. Most of wish things were different, but I think we are stuck with the guy for another year. It wouldn't stop me from adding the best LB we could get though, even if he didn't play as much in the beginning.
My point is that we aren't stuck with him. We agree that he shouldn't be on the field. We are hamstrung by his contract but that it isn't a surprise - we are aware of the problem- now we have to deal with it. To simply say, "he is making 10 mil he has to play" is a recipe for disaster.
Maybe you save $$ from Pouncey or the RT..
OR you decide instead of franchising Laundry well we need to save $$ let's sign him and convert portion of salary to a roster bonus. There are ways to get around this as opposed to putting him in the field and watching him fail.

My point is that we aren't stuck with him. We agree that he shouldn't be on the field. We are hamstrung by his contract but that it isn't a surprise - we are aware of the problem- now we have to deal with it. To simply say, "he is making 10 mil he has to play" is a recipe for disaster.
Maybe you save $$ from Pouncey or the RT..
OR you decide instead of franchising Laundry well we need to save $$ let's sign him and convert portion of salary to a roster bonus. There are ways to get around this as opposed to putting him in the field and watching him fail.

I get it. But name me even one off the los lb that gets paid even $8 mil to ride pine?

It doesn’t happen. Considering that I think miamis best route is to add a piece with Kiko for 2018 and look into his potential replacement in 2019. Unless something as a 2 deep play draft pick most likely just plain old takes his job in season. Likely a 3rd or 4th round pick type. I can see Darius leonard being that potential guy.

Depending on how things go this season an off the los lb and a 43 de could be the primary needs come then. I know we will need at least one more de piece but we can’t force it and branches money puts him also in the rotation for 2018.

Is what it is...don’t have to like it don’t have to endorse it but probably gonna have to live with it. And try and find work arounds

Back
Top Bottom