Clay has returned to Miami after 3 days in Buffalo & Dolphins have not pulled tender | Page 31 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clay has returned to Miami after 3 days in Buffalo & Dolphins have not pulled tender

Listened to NFL Radio while on a drive this afternoon and they were interviewing someone from the Bills organization. They touched on the Clay situation and what he Bills guy said made a lot of sense for the Dolphins. He expressed some frustration with the transition tag hovering over Clay in that they could do all the negotiating and in the end the Dolphins just swoop in and match the deal. The whole breakdown of talks with Miami could just be a sign in them allowing the market to decide his value. Especially if he himself is overvaluing himself in discussions with the team. Also could be why Bills are holding back and might be in a wait mode, alongside any other suitors for Clay. He very well could be in limbo until after the draft if the tag continues to hover over his head.

Vic Carucci ‏@viccarucci 11s11 seconds ago
Source puts #Bills' chances of landing Charles Clay at "90 percent."

A source close to the situation insisted Monday that, despite the inactivity since Clay's visit to Western New York last week, the Bills' interest in him has not wavered, and they are going to follow through with plans to sign him to an offer sheet.

The source put the Bills' chance of landing Clay at "90 percent."

New Bills coach Rex Ryan has been the driving force in the Bills' pursuit of Clay, the source said. Ryan knows the challenges Clay presented when he was coach of the New York Jets during the multiple times they faced him from 2011 to 2014. Clay has 17 career receptions against the Jets for 169 yards and two touchdowns.

What's the holdup in the Bills making the offer?

The same as it has been since Clay first became a Bills target last week. The Bills apparently are still studying their own cap numbers and those of the Dolphins to put them in the best possible position of making an offer Miami wouldn't match.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/03/16/source-bills-have-90-percent-chance-of-signing-clay/

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 10m10 minutes ago
Bills have "90 percent" chance of signing Charles Clay per @viccarucci

kinda hoping he goes now. More pressure on the FO to add an offensive playmaker in round 1. Like I said in several threads, we aren't going to fill all our holes in one offseason. Grab the best offensive playmaker we can get in round 1 and grab a guard and go defense the rest of the way

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 10m10 minutes ago
Bills have "90 percent" chance of signing Charles Clay per @viccarucci

kinda hoping he goes, now. More pressure on the FO to add an offensive playmaker in round 1. Like I said in several threads, we aren't going to fill all our holes in one offseason. Grab the best offensive playmaker we can get in round 1 and go defense the rest (and a guard at some point)

Love that avatar

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 13m13 minutes ago
The holdup on Clay per @viccarucci is Bills trying to figure out cap so they can make an offer #Dolphins won't match

how LONG DOES THIS TAKE???

Is it even possible for them to pull that off? We have a fair amount of cap.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 13m13 minutes ago
The holdup on Clay per @viccarucci is Bills trying to figure out cap so they can make an offer #Dolphins won't match

how LONG DOES THIS TAKE???

This is a nuance.
It isn't an offer the fins cant match since at this point that is impossible.

It is an offer the fins wont match
I think a team would generally struggle with that. They could legitemately be having a debate about that. I totally believe it.

Andrew Abramson@AbramsonPBP 9m9 minutes ago
#Dolphins have the money to sign Clay but they also have a lot of areas of need like WR, CB, S, MLB

these issues are not all going to be fixed in one offseason. Is there a single beat writer that realizes this?

Blowmar Kelly@BlomarKelly 10m10 minutes ago
The Bills have $14M in cap space. The Dolphins have $21M. Not sure there's an offer Miami can't match. WANT TO is a different subject.

This is a nuance.
It isn't an offer the fins cant match since at this point that is impossible.

It is an offer the fins wont match
I think a team would generally struggle with that. They could legitemately be having a debate about that. I totally believe it.

definitely. If they were in the matching game, they woulda ponied up the 8 mill for the tag and called it a day. I wish they did, but the fact that they didn't shows the FO isn't foaming at the mouth over Clay.

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly 4m4 minutes ago
The Bills have $14M in cap space. The Dolphins have $21M. Not sure there's an offer Miami can't match. WANT TO is a different subject.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 3m3 minutes ago
#Dolphins have the money to sign Clay but they also have a lot of areas of need like WR, CB, S, MLB

I'm over Clay. This has gone on too long, and like someone said if Clay goes maybe our target at #14 shifts to the offensive playmaker.

My ideal situation would still be to trade with KC or Philly. grab a pick or two and draft Kendricks though.

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 3m3 minutes ago
add guard to that list.

But how do you add a starting: veteran WR, rookie WR, CB, S, MLB, and G in the second tier of FA and and in one draft?

grab best playmaker available in draft (hopefully WR or Gurley if they are that infatuated), try to grab a LB and a S (or a CB) and hope for the best out of some late round picks.

I wouldn't give up on trying to bring Evan Mathis in, maybe draft day? or a 2016 pick ?

Back
Top Bottom