Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Fins outsmart themselves with draft trades?

I see it more as an investment, where the payoff could be much greater than its current value.
Keep in mind that every single draft pick is a gamble. You don't know what you can get. Any particular pick can be a jackpot. So you *could* strike it rich.

The only reason I can think to kick assets down the road is if you don't feel like your team is ready now and there is a future window somewhere else. Otherwise, you build for a team now.

In any case, walk into a bank and make them the "future assets are worth the same as current" argument and see if they'll give you a 0% loan.

Yeah, if Grier is comfortable moving back to 6, it's pretty clear he has those 3 or 4 guys rated pretty evenly and would be happy with any of them. If he had one of them slotted clearly above the others, I think he would have been more conservative, and maybe tried to move back just one or two spots.

What if in two years the niners have a Texan type season? Would the value be discounted?

I mean I just dont believe in devaluing a first round pick.
you may not agree with it but that's the REALITY.

Here's a simple one to contemplate.

I'll take your R1 in '21 and give you an R1 in '23!

Great deal, right???

Or... even more... I'll trade you an R1 in '21 for an R1 in '25!

Or... I'll trade you for an R2 in '21 and give you an R2 in '22!

Etc. etc.

TIME VALUE!

It's pretty universal!

I don’t think the Dolphins are as enthralled with Pitts as many on here are. If they had him as their top pick and they wanted to be sure he was available when they have their first pick, they would not have traded down to begin with.

I think they have 3 or 4 players they would be happy to draft at 6 and while Pitts might be one of those players. I don’t think they will be upset if Pitts is drafted before they select because they obviously will be thrilled to get any of the players they have targeted at 6.
I agree. I was saying some people don’t like the trade because they only want pitts. But obviously Miami isn’t thinking that wAy

Keep in mind that every single draft pick is a gamble. You don't know what you can get. Any particular pick can be a jackpot. So you *could* strike it rich.

The only reason I can think to kick assets down the road is if you don't feel like your team is ready now and there is a future window somewhere else. Otherwise, you build for a team now.

In any case, walk into a bank and make them the "future assets are worth the same as current" argument and see if they'll give you a 0% loan.

Exactly my point. Trading down gives you more chances to hit on players and it can pay off with a major jump in value if the other team takes a dive. It's the smart play. If you have that pattern in effect, like we do now, you have extra picks every year, so it's not kicking things down the road because you already have the picks from the year before.

And again, we're not talking about cash here.

pretty sure of the 4 WR/TE they know Pitts and Chase have the best chance of going before pick 6.
They also have them ranked long before today. Pro days confirm teams thoughts, not change them.

So, they may have Pitts and Chase ranked 1, 2 Smith 3 and Waddle 4, but they would rather have a future
1 and 3 and Smith, then stay at 3 and take Pitts or Chase, but if one gets to 6, even better.

You need to take a look at history of some these trades.
Do you have ANY IDEA what some of the previous comps have been for teams trading 15 - 22 spots down?
History is NOT a viable trade commodity. Never has been.

Picks are VALUED relative to position (in a sequence) + time value.

The "future" is discounted --------------- FYI that's why folks pay interest!

NO FOOL is going to lend you $100K today and only expect $100k in 10 years.

You're going to pay "interest" to compensate for the time value.

Like I said. It's extremely simple.

I would rather we stayed at 12 and traded our 2022 first for a good, young player. I wish we had leveraged for a 4th this year. The 4th round is looking good this year and I have a feeling there will be a few 4th steals left on the board.

well they've atleast got 1 person fooled

What's unimaginable to me is how freaking OBVIOUS the reality is.

It was an awful trade (net net) in value terms.

Now if you want to 'speculate" it works out like a fairy-tale in '23 then indulge.

But serious business transactions are NOT based on that kind of nonsense.

You'll never make the living you desire by criticizing Grier. Get ahold of yourself and get back to criticizing me.
You of all folks know how I've defended the dude.

But I'm not an effing fool who's going to blindly support all his moves without analysis.

The way he handled that lucky GOLDEN NUGGET @3 is very disappointing.

True Story!

BNF

you may not agree with it but that's the REALITY.

Here's a simple one to contemplate.

I'll take your R1 in '21 and give you an R1 in '23!

Great deal, right???

Or... even more... I'll trade you an R1 in '21 for an R1 in '25!

Or... I'll trade you for an R2 in '21 and give you an R2 in '22!

Etc. etc.

TIME VALUE!

It's pretty universal!
Sorry BF I don’t get the exercise..

Back
Top Bottom