Dolphin "Classic" Games Part 11 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin "Classic" Games Part 11

didn't we have this discussion last year? i thought we explored all the options (including newsgroups), but the torrent just worked out the best. my problem with newsgroups is cost and exposure... not to mention broken files.

the torrent's only real downfall is time. last year when we had this discussion we had a seeding problem because too many people were jumping off. Now we have solved that, so i don't think its a problem really.

are you guys having problems with it?

CrunchTime said:
You sure finished fast Booftard,Thats some setup you have.What is it ?

Hmm. Here in central Florida they recently upped some of the numbers for their cable-modem service. I can upload tops around 45 kb/s now if I'm not doing anything else. Otherwise the comp isn't too shabby with an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ with a gig of ram, 250 gig HD, and ATI x800 Pro video card looking beautiful on a 20.1" Dell 2001FP flatscreen LCD.

Fins, buddy. Fins.

-Boof

texasPHINSfan said:
didn't we have this discussion last year? i thought we explored all the options (including newsgroups), but the torrent just worked out the best. my problem with newsgroups is cost and exposure... not to mention broken files.

the torrent's only real downfall is time. last year when we had this discussion we had a seeding problem because too many people were jumping off. Now we have solved that, so i don't think its a problem really.

are you guys having problems with it?

We did have this discussion before but there are a lot of newbees.We decided the torrents were the best way to get the files to everyone and not just the ones who a had access to newsgroups.The biggest problem we had with the torrents was the frequent site down time.This site has been stable although I would still prefer a private tracker (Hint!Hint!)

We also did have a problem with bad leechers at first and we almost shut the whole thing down.But now people understand that the BW comes from our combined BW and are helping out.

Well, I didn't mean to start a fuss over BitTorrent vs Usenet. All I said was that when the season rolls around and if I am able to cap some games, I would prefer to upload to a newsgroup seeing as how I have to share my iMac with 3 other people in my place and it would free up the bandwidth when one of them wants to use it. I'm sure other people besides me will cap games and upload them to a torrent site for people who don't have access to newsgroups.

So relax. :cooldude:

Medieval954 said:
Well, I didn't mean to start a fuss over BitTorrent vs Usenet. All I said was that when the season rolls around and if I am able to cap some games, I would prefer to upload to a newsgroup seeing as how I have to share my iMac with 3 other people in my place and it would free up the bandwidth when one of them wants to use it. I'm sure other people besides me will cap games and upload them to a torrent site for people who don't have access to newsgroups.

So relax. :cooldude:

We were thinking of doing two torrents during the season.A small encoded version for quick watching another higher quality encoded version for collection purposes.

I understand your situation.We are all going the same way .Its just a matter of delivery.

CrunchTime said:
We were thinking of doing two torrents during the season.A small encoded version for quick watching another higher quality encoded version for collection purposes.

That's a really good idea. There's more than enough people here now who know how to cap games where there can be two different quality versions of the same game.

While I'd like to do the newsgroups as its normally not limited to the number of people downloading. The drawbacks of it are much worse then the torrent system in place. Like Crunch said, it will draw more attention then we'd want, no control, ISP problems such as download limits and speeds, as well as other things.

If those hurdles could be over come I'd go for it. But my newsgroups are limited to 1 GB per month and the speed isn't that outstanding either. I don't think there's any fuss over the two. Just expressions of opinions. Hey as long as we keep waking up in the morning, everything else is gravy.

CrunchTime said:
Did anyone have trouble with the Audio on the 73 Steelers game ?

Worked fine for me, my receiver picked it up as DD.

While I can do either newsgroups or bittorrent, the pace we are moving at now does exceed my ability to watch the games so I'm just fine with it.

sn9ke.eyes said:
Worked fine for me, my receiver picked it up as DD.

While I can do either newsgroups or bittorrent, the pace we are moving at now does exceed my ability to watch the games so I'm just fine with it.

Thanks for the info.I was bragging that my Standalone DVD player could play just about anything but I found a chink in its armor.Great video compatability but not so hot on the audio compatibility.

BTW for those who are thinking of buying a capture card you should check on its audio capabilities.Some will not cap stereo or SAP or second audio channels..

IceStorm said:
While I'd like to do the newsgroups as its normally not limited to the number of people downloading. The drawbacks of it are much worse then the torrent system in place. Like Crunch said, it will draw more attention then we'd want, no control, ISP problems such as download limits and speeds, as well as other things.

If those hurdles could be over come I'd go for it. But my newsgroups are limited to 1 GB per month and the speed isn't that outstanding either. I don't think there's any fuss over the two. Just expressions of opinions. Hey as long as we keep waking up in the morning, everything else is gravy.

I understand not everyone has access to the newsgroups, which is why I said that we can do both a torrent file (what Crunch does) and a newsgroup posting (what I can do). Crunch has the torrent distribution method down perfectly now after months of tweaking and I bow to him for growing it into the monster that it is . :hail: It will always be the dominant form of grabbing a copy of a game here since it's free and people are used to it already.

However, it's possible to provide a different alternative for distribution for people who want it and have access to it, albeit it will be a niche thing. So I'm gonna try that because of my situation. It might not even work since I've never uploaded anything bigger than a music file to a newsgroup, so this might be all for not anyway :lol: I'll have to test it out.

I think ever since the site we're using stabalized the Torrent system has been fine. I I'm all for exploring other ways... E-mule works well for other things and maybe easier to use.

I only have DSL w/ 256 up to play with though.

sn9ke.eyes said:
the pace we are moving at now does exceed my ability to watch the games so I'm just fine with it.
:cooldude:

me too, which is why everything is gravy for me as well.

Back
Top Bottom