Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins meeting with Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen

I did not know that off-hand, but once you said that, I immediately looked up to see where Geno Smith went to college. Mainly because I remember him putting up eye-popping stats in college....to no surprise, I had found he was also in the Big 12 Conference.

Smith's senior year was West Virginia's first in the Big 12, I believe prior to that they were in the Big East.

Well if you’d remember Brady was a damn good college qb, was a winner and clutch and that’s what he is today.

No one in this years class is a winner. All are way to turnover prone. Just meh. Especially when all we heard last year was Watson was a “system” qb who can’t read defense and turnover prone...

Aaron Rodgers? How many teams including us
Passed on him. Fact is you just don’t know. We do know what we have in Tannehill

Denver is looking for veteran qb. To go back to Superbowl. Nyg will give Manning one more yr win Superbowl before drafting one. That will leaves jets and browns to select qb. If they want one. Dolphins will not draft qb either. They do not have ball to do it in Rd 1or 2.. but they will draft a QB in Rd 6or 7. This guy will be out NFL in 2yr.

His resemblance to manziel is troubling.

I understand that is NOT just a physical resemblance either. Off-field issues???

These 1:1 prospect meetings are typically held to get a deep read on a player that we might face twice a year. It’s good for us to have this deep analyzation so we know more about his strengths and weaknesses. Trying to get a leg up!

Good.

Not gonna have to worry about it he’s going WELL in front of us
If one of big 3, Rosen, Darnold & Allen, are there at 4 and Cleveland wants your 11, 41 and next year RD1. Assume you can get a 2nd for RT17, are you making a move?

If one of big 3, Rosen, Darnold & Allen, are there at 4 and Cleveland wants your 11, 41 and next year RD1. Assume you can get a 2nd for RT17, are you making a move?

Would you trade 2 1sts and Tannehill for Joe Flacco? Bradford? RGIII? Bortles? Mariota? etc etc etc

Here is an interesting list, the 10 most accomplished QBs drafted in the first round from 2007 to 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-best-picks-andrew-luck-cam-newton/100273972/

Admittedly, it is just an opinion piece and it was after just rookie years by Wentz and Goff, but when you count the number of QBs that have been taken in the first round in that decade, it gives real evidence to the likelihood that a QB drafted in the first round this year will ever be a better player than Tannehill. For the record, there were 26.

Here is the complete list. How many of these QBs would you trade 2 1sts and Tannehill for:

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn

Would you trade 2 1sts and Tannehill for Joe Flacco? Bradford? RGIII? Bortles? Mariota? etc etc etc

Here is an interesting list, the 10 most accomplished QBs drafted in the first round from 2007 to 2016.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-best-picks-andrew-luck-cam-newton/100273972/

Admittedly, it is just an opinion piece and it was after just rookie years by Wentz and Goff, but when you count the number of QBs that have been taken in the first round in that decade, it gives real evidence to the likelihood that a QB drafted in the first round this year will ever be a better player than Tannehill. For the record, there were 26.

Here is the complete list. How many of these QBs would you trade 2 1sts and Tannehill for:

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Blake Bortles
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater
EJ Manuel
Andrew Luck
Robert Griffin III
Ryan Tannehill
Brandon Weeden
Cam Newton
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert
Christian Ponder
Sam Bradford
Tim Tebow
Matthew Stafford
Mark Sanchez
Josh Freeman
Matt Ryan
Joe Flacco
JaMarcus Russell
Brady Quinn
For Wentz or healthy LUCK. 100000%

My top 5 for pick 11 right now would consist of some combo of:

Derwin james
Josh Allen (probably gonna go top 3 once all the qb posturing is done. Ceiling is rediculous teams are already getting in line)
Marcus Davenport (projecting almost 6 foot 6 and 265 lb de. Big upside)
Mark Andrews (flex fix. Supreme route runner short area quicks and foot work. Scheme fit)
Tremaine Edmunds ( 2 down strong nickel mike 2 deep base mike)

Last edited:
First thing to consider here is that other teams have drafted quarterbacks in the first round quarterbacks despite having a franchise quarterback (Chargers drafted Rivers and already had Breed, Packers drafted Rodgers and already had Favre) or decent starting quarterback (Chiefs drafted Mahomes and already had Smith). Some of those teams wanted to groom their successor, while others simply wanted an upgrade.

So what our front office need to ask themselves is do they believe Tannehill can be the guy for the next 5 to 10 years? If not, look for a successor in the draft to either start day one and trade Tannehill, or draft someone to develop behind Tannehill for the next 1 to 3 seasons.

In regards to Allen. If there's belief he can be a top ten quarterback in terms of production (eg Cam Newton is consistently a top ten quarterback in total production even when his rating or passing yards are not in the top tier), and Tannehill is only a middle of the pack quarterback, then it would make sense to draft and develop Allen into Tannehill's successor.

I like Tannehill. I bought his jersey when he was a rookie (old logo) and when the new jerseys came out I bought another Tannehill. So I want him to succeed and be the guy, but to date he's been a middle of the pack guy and we either have to build an elite defense and running game to support him, or we need to upgrade him while making the necessary improvements both sides of the ball. So as much as I'd like to think he's the guy for the next 5 to 10 years, personally I think it would be wise for us to draft competition or possibly a successor if they are deemed to have a higher ceiling.

Yea I don't expect him to be there at 11 . . . But I am certainly not ruling it out and if we are being honest there is no other position that merits the 11 pick more than QB for this team. Fills your backup spot, insures Tannehill and has the most return value in a trade. You have a "QB guru" for a head coach . . . You absolutely do your due dilligence on all the quarterbacks and if there is a guy you like at 11, you shouldn't even hesitate.

That said, I am expecting someone to trade up ahead of us (maybe Buffalo, maybe Arizona) and gamble on that ball of talent that is Josh Allen.

Yea I don't expect him to be there at 11 . . . But I am certainly not ruling it out and if we are being honest there is no other position that merits the 11 pick more than QB for this team. Fills your backup spot, insures Tannehill and has the most return value in a trade. You have a "QB guru" for a head coach . . . You absolutely do your due dilligence on all the quarterbacks and if there is a guy you like at 11, you shouldn't even hesitate.

That said, I am expecting someone to trade up ahead of us (maybe Buffalo, maybe Arizona) and gamble on that ball of talent that is Josh Allen.

I hope it’s Buffalo, then we’d know they’d be bad for another few years.

I like Josh Allen, but outside of measurables he doesn’t have anything to back himself on. Played against lower level competition and whenever he played against good comp he **** himself.

He’s this years Paxton Lynch, but at least Lynch played dominate against his comp.

My top 5 for pick 11 right now would consist of some combo of:

Derwin james
Josh Allen (probably gonna go top 3 once all the qb posturing is done. Ceiling is rediculous teams are already getting in line)
Marcus Davenport (projecting almost 6 foot 6 and 265 lb de. Big upside)
Mark Andrews (flex fix. Supreme route runner short area quicks and foot work. Scheme fit)
Tremaine Edmunds ( 2 down strong nickel mike 2 deep base mike)

Yea James at 11 is top dog for me as well, think he'll be gone.

Andrews at 11? I would throw rocks at the TV. He doesn't have the athletic ability to be selected that high. That would be a bigger need reach fill than Juwan James was in my opinion.

Edmunds is intriguing. Still think if a OL falls and glove fits at LG, Miami may end up taking the guy if other skill players are gone.

The JJ cb from Iowa is a guy to watch for me as well. Kid is a baller and Tannenbaum loves his corners and we need some depth there.

First thing to consider here is that other teams have drafted quarterbacks in the first round quarterbacks despite having a franchise quarterback (Chargers drafted Rivers and already had Breed, Packers drafted Rodgers and already had Favre) or decent starting quarterback (Chiefs drafted Mahomes and already had Smith). Some of those teams wanted to groom their successor, while others simply wanted an upgrade.

Those are all situations that don't resemble the 2018 Dolphins. Brees was BENCHED for Doug Flutie for part of the 2003 season. That is why the Chargers drafted a QB in 2004. Favre and Smith had just finished their 14th and 11th years, respectively. Got any more examples?

Back
Top Bottom