Dolphins officially announcing staff hires | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins officially announcing staff hires

Still confused about the exodus of coaches. All of them had solid reputations, coming over from New England. I don't understand what really happened between Flores and these guys; to warrant firings and even worse coaches leaving for other jobs percieved to be better than in Miami. Not a good look for a HC, to have this much change over, after just one season. The Replacements don't exactly make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not expecting much from an over the hill gang of coaches. That last year in New York with the Jets was absolutely an abysmal offensive showing. Come On Maaaaan!!! You can do better than this, couldn't you? Miami has a decent core of skill position players amongst its WR's and TE's to work with. But are these Retirees going to be able to make things work. I'm not sure I can see anything too positive.

Hopefully not stubbornness as it seemed with Minkah and Drake

That’s a lot of turnover going into Year 2. Expect some growing pains as old players and new players adjust to the new schemes and coaches.

Well...we're probably gonna have about 30+ new players so don't think growing pains will be an issue this year.

I'm on a wait and see what happens mode with all the coaching changes. I liked Oshea and thought he would have been even better in 2020 with more talent but it is what it is. Same with the others. Coaching is important of course but I think getting the right players is what I want to see this off season.

Senior bowl practices start today at 1pm on NFLN for those who like to watch btw.
They will show the practices today, tomorrow and Thursday. The one on ones are great to watch. With so many picks you know some of those players practicing today will be drafted by us. Who and how many we don't know of course but it's good to see them going at it.

I am now re-setting the coaching organizational chart I make and some of the things occurring in coaching assignments are indicating a significant change coming in our coaching structure. It's too early to say what the end results will be, but here is what I've observed:

We have unfilled coaching openings at the Safeties the Corner Backs, but now have an assistant Defensive Backs coach. Does this mean we will be getting a Defensive Backs coach and exactly which defensive backs will he coach?
Will we be getting other coaches for the Safeties and the Corner Backs?

We have two vacated Quality Control positions. Will we see two more QC guys, or will we rely on the Football Administration for that function?

It has been claimed that Jim Caldwell is not coming back, but it is not clear if this is a rumor or a fact.

We have a new Defensive Coordinator via promotion and new Offensive Coordinator via an outside hiring. This indicated to me the offense and the defense are likely to be different. How much different is anybody's guess, but it is clear to me that significant change may be coming. I've already mentioned that the defensive coaching structure itself is already changing with the addition of an assistant Defensive Backs Coach, which indicates we are likely to get a Defensive Backs coach.

My last surprise is that the Dolphins have removed the secondary levels of front office management, such as Football Administration and Player Personnel from their website. Since I can no longer confirm who there is interacting with the coaches, I'll be leaving them off the ORG. chart. There were four coaching assistants last year assigned to that department; two Strength and Conditioning and two just listed as coaching assistants. Will those positions be re-established directly in the coaching tree? We will see soon enough.

I wait until I see the coaches being mentioned as joining the team shown under the coaches with their pictures, or at least there name and a place holder for their picture, or I don't put them in the ORG. chart.

I'm curious to see how many coaches we end up with and how they get tied into whatever new coaching structure we will have.

Nice Highlight reel- Fitz hasn't aged a damn day! Hurry up September!

{ If my calculations are correct- When this baby hits 88 miles per hour- your gonna see some serious sh it! )

Seems Flores stresses teaching and accountability. Flores is the CEO (FINALLY); his hands arent in one pie too much but his focus and expertise is definitely more on defense where he and Boyer probably jive which is why he might have allowed Graham to walk. He needs someone to run the offense and can do it in a manner he sees fit with the personnel they have and have the ability to run multiple schemes. This is his New England side imo, he wants to be able to scheme and run offenses to attack weaknesses. Running one particular style while you can build continuity and rapport may be able to get tagged by the right D Coordinator. Being able to be power running for two weeks then spread with either 01 or 00 personnel for a few weeks makes the Dolphins hard to scheme against.

Gailey brings that ability and experience, plus has developed guys in his system; both QBs and skill players. I like most would have preferred a "sexy" hire but that hasn't worked well in the past so maybe taking this whole approach of coaching the guys up, pressing them for excellence, the TNT wall, accountability from 1-53 on the roster where no one guy is bigger than the whole is the change the organization needed.

And for the love of God you can like a Browns hire but when was the last time that organization made the right call or had success. Can we stop with the "we should have hired...." talk. Some hires dont move the needle but the people in those positions have the faith of our HC which for me is good enough. Still think a few of the hires are really good; and brought in young hungry guys who love coaching.

Last edited:
Totally agree, I have a feeling that we will never know what transpired between Flores and the coaches but in my eyes this offseason has started out on a bad foot. Cadwell wants to coach now that he is healthy again....but not with the Phins, why? Hiring a high school coach to jump straight to the NFL? why? no better candidates out there? Loosing more than 40% o a coaching staff that did an incredible job considering the players they had to work with. Why? Way too many questions and not enough answers.
Exactly how I feel.

I really hope not. But at this point, nothing would surprise me anymore... BTW that anwser would've been very different just last year. At the time I thought going against the grain and buidling a dominant running game might be something to consider going foward for a a variety of reason some of them being how cheap good RBs are, the size of defenders seemingly decreasing as the years go by to field faster defenders and how that would in theory give fits to opponents who are building their defense to stop the passing game. It would also allow you to field not great QBs because they would be hidden by your running game.

J-off flat out told me, nah... uh-uh, those days are gone.

So I set out to prove him wrong, lets just say I failed miserably.

Is it possible? sure... Sustainable? not really...

See the Titans they have a powerful run game and I expect them to compete again next for the AFC Championship. They had to many obstacles to overcome this year to win that game. I expect them to get better in the passing game as their best receiver was a rookie and their defense needs to be better but I can see that team making the changes necessary to get over the hump. Lastly could the Phins coaching moves be giving a clue as to how they will draft? Don't be surprised if QB is a late day 1 pick or maybe day 2, I'm thinking building the lines are going to be the priority. The model they are following or at least incorporating is the Cowboys model. I don't think Dakota would have been nearly as good as he's been without that O-line. #M2C

See the Titans they have a powerful run game and I expect them to compete again next for the AFC Championship. They had to many obstacles to overcome this year to win that game. I expect them to get better in the passing game as their best receiver was a rookie and their defense needs to be better but I can see that team making the changes necessary to get over the hump. Lastly could the Phins coaching moves be giving a clue as to how they will draft? Don't be surprised if QB is a late day 1 pick or maybe day 2, I'm thinking building the lines are going to be the priority. The model they are following or at least incorporating is the Cowboys model. I don't think Dakota would have been nearly as good as he's been without that O-line. #M2C

Personally wouldn't be too quick to jump on the Titans going back to the AFC Championship game next year. They have a lot of FA questions including key pieces of that power running game and not a ton of cap space. RT will cost them 25 million to keep taking their cap down from $57 million to around 30 QUICK. If they dont keep him then what do they do? Bring in a rookie with a late 1st rounder, with no vet to groom them how successful can that be? Sign another FA? Bridgewater will still cost someone $20 million to be a starter. So it doesnt improve the cap space issue. Plus they have this kind of depth possibly leaving....

2 OLB - including their starter
3 CBs - including a stater and a nickel guy
Starting SS
All Pro RB
Starting WR
Starting RT
Swing/backup T
Swing/backup G

Possibly loosing that kind of depth and talent and only having 3 picks in the first 3 rounds then not having another pick until the late 5th. Not easy to replace those guys with basically no resources.

And there is no way QB isnt 1A IMO, with every action taken and all the capital built up and the position the staff has been put in both with hires and contacts already signed (Fitz/Parker etc) time to get and groom the QB of the future. There is no way that the Fins will be in a place to trade up for the elite guys next year if they got 5 wins with a rag tag group this year.

And cannot see a reasonable world where the Lions take Tua, they fired a coach who won 36 games in 4 years. For a guy who has won 9 games in 2 years. How can that staff convince the owner to take a guy sit him for a year suck again then cut or trade Stafford and his $15+ million in dead cap the following season. I mean that would almost mean Patricia has something on the Ford family.

Last edited:
Personally wouldn't be too quick to jump on the Titans going back to the AFC Championship game next year. They have a lot of FA questions including key pieces of that power running game and not a ton of cap space. RT will cost them 25 million to keep taking their cap down from $57 million to around 30 QUICK. If they dont keep him then what do they do? Bring in a rookie with a late 1st rounder, with no vet to groom them how successful can that be? Sign another FA? Bridgewater will still cost someone $20 million to be a starter. So it doesnt improve the cap space issue. Plus they have this kind of depth possibly leaving....

2 OLB - including their starter
3 CBs - including a stater and a nickel guy
Starting SS
All Pro RB
Starting WR
Starting RT
Swing/backup T
Swing/backup G

Possibly loosing that kind of depth and talent and only have 3 picks in the first 3 rounds then not having another pick until the late 5th. Not easy to replace those guys with basically no resources.

And there is no way QB isnt 1A IMO, with every action taken and all the capital built up and the position the staff has been put in both with hires and contacts already signed (Fitz/Parker etc) time to get and groom the QB of the future. There is no way that the Fins will be in a place to trade up for the elite guys next year if they got 5 wins with a rag tag group this year.

And cannot see a reasonable world where the Lions take Tua, they fired a coach who won 36 games in 4 years. For a guy who has won 9 games in 2 years. How can that staff convince the owner to take a guy sit him for a year suck again then cut or trade Stafford and his $15+ million in dead cap the following season. I mean that would almost mean Patricia has something on the Ford family.

I agree the time to get a QB is now, but I think you and others are not considering the large potential of this team to backslide in terms of record.

they did a commendable job squeezing 5 wins out of this group, but 2 came against other awful teams, and 2 came against decent teams that were struggling for whatever reason (including one with a backup QB) who were taking the Dolphins lightly because of their record and perception.

I don’t think that will be the case next year. And it seems like a much tougher schedule overall, and it will have a bunch of new players and coaches adjusting to each other. And could see Fitzpatrick regress due to age or get injured for significant time.

Most likely they will still be drafting in Top 5 in 2021 and they might even end up with a worse record than last year.

I hope you’re right but giving the keys to a 38-year-old quarterback who has never sniffed the playoffs doesn’t sound like a smart plan
Did you read the article? Nowhere did he say that Fitz was "THE QB".

By looking at Gailey's offensive splits from his stint in NY, I'm worried that Gailey is still in trying to get in 3rd and manageable mode by running heavily on 1st and 2nd down. Im going to sound arrogant here but that ship has sailed awhile ago. While I like the idea that he's a sound teacher and this cant be dismissed, I think being a teacher and actually calling a good game are 2 very different skillsets. I would be much more comfortable if they also hired someone specialized in this and just gave that guy the playcaller role. I realize I sound like an idiot saying this as no one ever did this, but I really feel like calling plays and teaching players how to execute plays are 2 totally different things and require different skills.... Just my opinion.
Tell that to the 49'ers...

Back
Top Bottom