Dolphins salivating at the speed Jaylen Waddle, Will Fuller will bring. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins salivating at the speed Jaylen Waddle, Will Fuller will bring.

I don't see RPO in that light at all.

RPO is about box counts, and forcing defenders to commit. I'm not sure what an individual's ability to take over a game has to do with it. RPO is about hat on hat blocking/covering, and getting a numerical advantge. You aren't, necessarily, looking for a "home run". You are looking to move the chains consistently.

If that is not your preferred cup of tea, that's fine, but Gaskin (for example) is just fine for that role, IMO.

There are also ways to easily implement in game counter adjustments from RPO, depending on how the defense chooses to respond. It's a chess match that favors a read and react QB skillset, which is exactly what Tua is purported to be. It also gets our RBs away from between the tackles running.

There are many variations on RPO concepts, and many quality vids out there. This is a very good one, that deals with real world examples, both in the collegiate and NFL levels. It has been posted before, but I would encourage anyone interested in the Xs and Os of RPO to give it a watch.

I'm so tired of explaining RPO...aren't you getting there too?
I don't understand why so many don't understand this concept. Especially the, "I dont want Tua running" crowd lol.

I'm salivating at the thought of my next steak dinner!!! Could it be, Miami has a prime rib roasting on the field in 2021? Waddle and Fuller, feast or famine?

Even though I doubt it happens, just think if Miami does opt to keep Grant around for another year. You could have some sets where you have Parker, Fuller, Waddle and Grant on the field at the same time. While there's reason toquestion using Grant as a main, top 3 wr, in limited use and in gadget type situations he might have a role. Just think of the stress on a defense trying to deal with Fuller, Waddle and Grant on the field together. That would have to be one of the fast three wr sets Miami has had in a while.
If that's the way you prefer to go, I would suggest that Wilson is a far more polished reciever and route technician. The difference in speed, if any, is negligible.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many don't understand this concept. Especially the, "I dont want Tua running" crowd lol.
Lol. I'm certainly not an "expert", but many do have the wrong impression. Some of it comes from the confusion between the terms "RPO" and "read option".

I don't mind explaining to those willing to have an open mind. TBH, I didn't originally think much of RPO either until I educated myself on a deeper philosophical level.

Just to add on what I said before, if everyone is on the same "page". RPO also presents an excellent audible opportunity, as most alignments can be used with a minor shift or motion.

Just to add on what I said before, if everyone is on the same "page". RPO also presents an excellent audible opportunity, as most alignments can be used with a minor shift or motion.
That's why I added motion on every play in my other post :)

Not my preference, but I don't know that we can rule out Miami keeping Grant as the 6th wr and returner.

Right now my preference at wr is Parker, Williams Fuller, Waddle, Bowden and Foster. That's assuming Foster can show the level of play he did earlier in his Bills career.

They have so many options to attack opposing teams' defenses it really shouldn't be legal. They can put Waddle and Fuller on the perimeter and have them run come-backs, deep posts, or 9 routes. Gesicki and Parker at the same time could run the middle seams providing a size mismatch in that area. You can put Waddle in motion and have the other three clear space vertically while Waddle looks for the space on the run underneath. That doesn't even take into consideration Long or one of the RBs holding back to chip and release into the flat as another option. The Matrix is limitless!

Poor Tua, decisions, decisions, decisions. - LOL

Gee, this is terrible news - LOL

I don't see RPO in that light at all.

RPO is about box counts, and forcing defenders to commit. I'm not sure what an individual's ability to take over a game has to do with it. RPO is about hat on hat blocking/covering, and getting a numerical advantage. You aren't, necessarily, looking for a "home run". You are looking to move the chains consistently.

If that is not your preferred cup of tea, that's fine, but Gaskin (for example) is just fine for that role, IMO.

There are also ways to easily implement in game counter adjustments from RPO, depending on how the defense chooses to respond. It's a chess match that favors a read and react QB skillset, which is exactly what Tua is purported to be. It also gets our RBs away from between the tackles running.

There are many variations on RPO concepts, and many quality vids out there. This is a very good one, that deals with real world examples, both in the collegiate and NFL levels. It has been posted before, but I would encourage anyone interested in the Xs and Os of RPO to give it a watch.

Cool and great video. I've never heard Sark speak.

It's also great to see Tua is the QB on alot of those throws.

September seems so very far away.
Can't wait to watch this team take the field.

Enjoy the ride and the entire process. From the time the new coach was bought in and all the beating we took our 1st few games. The entire process all of it and to where we are now.

If you do, then it makes winning the BIG one that much sweeter.

Last edited:
I like RPO situationally, and as a package within the overall design, but not so much as the overriding philosophy.
I thought that too at first, but watching Tua in college execute it play after play even though the defense knew it was coming was cool to watch. Not sure if he can replicate it like that, but he’s got the weapons to try now

I thought that too at first, but watching Tua in college execute it play after play even though the defense knew it was coming was cool to watch. Not sure if he can replicate it like that, but he’s got the weapons to try now
I think you have to consider the much wider advantage in overall talent he had around him at Bama.

That is not the case in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom