Dolphins sign Baker to extension | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Baker to extension

Lighten up cupcake. It was just a joke.
Hard to take it that way, given the vast majority of your posts are negative, irrespective of the subject.

Perhaps you should "lighten up".

All of us, that aren't chronic homers, have negative takes, but I don't recall one positive post.

No need to reply, you be you. Just pointing out the irony in you telling someone to "lighten up".

They had to reward a player or two for buying in and playing well. The players like to see that their franchise takes care of their own. I am happy they resigned him. Got to keep some players that you drafted. Every player is over paid after rookie deal.

Something else to remember the new Sunday Ticket deal hasn't even been done yet.
Appearently the NFL is not looking to renew with Sunday Ticket. It's my understanding the league is looking at Amazon as a potential partner to stream the games, via Amazon Prime. There are several articles out there on the net, you can read up on, the NFL's interest in an, Amazon deal. The implication is its potentially a huge deal for the NFL. Directv has lost its luster and it looks like the NFL has taken notice.

Last edited:
I like Baker, but there is no question that $13M per year is a steep price for an ILB. He is still on his rookie contract in 2021, but ~$13M would place him as the 5th or 6th highest paid ILB (or non-pass rusher OLB) in the NFL. To me, this move shows that the team expects big things from him in 2021. It is possible he brings his game to the next level (would like to see him stuff the run more consistently) and $13M is a deal in 2022. As other posters have pointed out, the salary cap is set to jump a lot in the next few seasons, so this move could also be seen as preemptive money management.

I like Baker, but there is no question that $13M per year is a steep price for an ILB. He is still on his rookie contract in 2021, but ~$13M would place him as the 5th or 6th highest paid ILB (or non-pass rusher OLB) in the NFL. To me, this move shows that the team expects big things from him in 2021. It is possible he brings his game to the next level (would like to see him stuff the run more consistently) and $13M is a deal in 2022. As other posters have pointed out, the salary cap is set to jump a lot in the next few seasons, so this move could also be seen as preemptive money management.
Barring an injury we got a deal vs what he’d likely get on the open market at his current trajectory. It’s a smart move and he’s an impact-ish player.

He’s still young, and I don’t think he’s reached his ceiling yet. As a comparison, he’s younger than Joe Burrow and our own Robert Hunt. Encouraging that he speaks so much about loving the culture of the team at the moment.
Great points.

From what I've seen, it's closer to 10mil than 13mil per, and its somewhere around 25 mil gauranteed.

IMO, you cant really judge a contract by "surface" publicity release numbers. The devil (and reality) is in the details.

Back
Top Bottom