Don't be Surprised . . . | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't be Surprised . . .

How about you dispute any of the points I made with facts to support Chris Grier being a good GM? You won't... because you can't.

The only good thing this guy has ever done was get decent trade value when he traded away all of our remaining star players.

And what did those players do to win consistently in Miami? Nothing is the answer. This gut job is nothing like anything that's ever happened in Miami history, not even 2008 was this drastic.

I think dolphins front office like big QBs. They also like a qb who have played lot football game in college like 3 or 4 yr starter. That all I can assume other than that. Tua injury is what going scare most team away. Picking Tua could be great move or being fired as Gm. It could really set this franchise back if he dont pan out. Big decisions in Miami.. we will need qb adventurely...OL need be fix asap. Defense is fixable.

Looks promising? Nah. If they over achieve maybe it will be a mediocre draft class. This draft class had no impact on the team and our record shows that as well.

We need to stop being ok with mediocre drafts. I know for a fact you all will be content with whoever Chris Grier drafts because you guys support him but I won't be. I want great drafts... Hell, at this point I would take an above average draft class. Up to this point Chris Grier's last 3 drafts have led us to this record and the worst season in recent history.

My posts annoy you because you are a complacent Homer and I am the antithesis of that. I criticize what is wrong and give credit where it is due. I call it like I see it. You on the other hand see everything with Aqua and Orange glasses on. Blind Faith is for the religious.

Everyone wants a great draft. Almost no team gets one . . . at least not consistently. There have been a number of good studies presented here showing how difficult an "average" draft is to attain. Top 10 picks are mostly duds when judged by expectations. A study of R1 picks over times shows an embarrassing number don't even start after 4 years. And Gesicki and others provide proof judging a draft class by game 12 is beyond premature.
Take the 2018 draft. Miami's top 4 picks - Minkah, Gesicki, Baker, Smythe - are starting or getting significant snaps (MF moving to Pitt doesn't change draft success). That's uncommon in the NFL. And Sanders in R7. Laird, Ledbetter, and Needham were UDFAs. I consider that a good draft. Good enough it should satisfy your hope for average.

I can only wish. I would eat that crow with some hot sauce. I can see your 2020 excuse too..."well the draft is a crapshoot and you can only expect to get 1 or 2 starters out of the bunch... maybe... if that at all."

All the guys you mentioned him drafting have gotten us to this point where we are considered one of the worst teams in the league. You are proving my point for me... Unless you think the people you just mentioned (Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Grant, McMillan, Godchaux, Fitz, Gesicki, Baker, Sanders) were the best players that could have been had at their positions.

Tunsil is his best pick... And guess what... It was all luck because of the gas mask issue.

Howard is the only good pick he has ever made that wasn't luck.

Here's me disputing your "point", though it really should be labeled as feelings because all you've said is "Grier sucks" one hundred times, but I digress.

Adam Gase was leading this ****ing squad of players I just listed and each and every one of them has either played on par or IMPROVED under a new coaching staff. Gase is working with a team FULL of talent in NY and look where he's got them? One win ahead of "the worst team in the league". If you can't see that these are GOOD players, 2 of which are GREAT, then you're absolutely as dense as you sound. Love the box score people thinking they know their head from their ass.

I’m just as amazed as anyone else when they announce the patriots defensive starters every game and how much they are able to shut down the opposition.

But one thing they are to a man is extremely assignment sound. Be it gap, be it leverage, be it coverage call or even the way they attack shoulders on the los to free guys up to the qb or ball carrier etc.

Remember when on the Patsies as a player you get away with a hell of a lot more than if on another team
This is fact
Can we limit the goat stuff too, some of us want to enjoy our lunch ;) as there are plenty of arguments against it even with all of his numbers

Everyone wants a great draft. Almost no team gets one . . . at least not consistently. There have been a number of good studies presented here showing how difficult an "average" draft is to attain. Top 10 picks are mostly duds when judged by expectations. A study of R1 picks over times shows an embarrassing number don't even start after 4 years. And Gesicki and others provide proof judging a draft class by game 12 is beyond premature.
Take the 2018 draft. Miami's top 4 picks - Minkah, Gesicki, Baker, Smythe - are starting or getting significant snaps (MF moving to Pitt doesn't change draft success). That's uncommon in the NFL. And Sanders in R7. Laird, Ledbetter, and Needham were UDFAs. I consider that a good draft. Good enough it should satisfy your hope for average.
What if you don't want to be satisfied? What if you just want to stand on your soapbox and play contrarian?

Last edited:
I feel like it is the opposite as most, I think they will take talent over fit. I think this staff has confidence in building talent and putting guys in a position to succeed. Now does that mean with will get a guy who is a complete schematic mismatch, no, but i dont think they cripple themselves by saying oh he isnt versatile enough for me.

Besides I think a major point that people miss is that GMs draft to what the team is and the coaches desire. GMs and coaches have to work together and with what the team was with Philbin and Gase the GM picked guys to fit what they desired to do or how they wanted a team constructed. I have no idea what Philbin wanted but whatever it was was wrong and Gase wanted small speedy guys to get huge chuck plays off screens so he wanted smaller athletic linemen to move out and block in space and small speedy wide outs who can break tackle and run for yards. And since Gase had DICK to do with the defense and any defensive player they brought in they had to hope he would be developed into the system.

I feel like for the first time since I can remember that this staff will sit down with Grier as the draft process gets in full run after the season and break down players to make a pref list. Talent will rule our picks, you can book that.

Finheaven: Where Chris Grier is the executive of the year... Every year... for the rest of his life.

This is what happens when your ceiling is 8 and 8. I might be a contrarian but at least I am not complacent with mediocrity. You guys deserve Chris Grier as the GM of your team. I bet you guys used to love Adamn Gase and Ryan Tannehill and are avid Josh Rosen supporters.

Just because a kid in College fit into his teams system does not mean other players from different teams wouldn't fit.
You look for talented, athletic,smart and good kids that love the game.these are the kids you build a franchise around.

I’m just as amazed as anyone else when they announce the patriots defensive starters every game and how much they are able to shut down the opposition.

But one thing they are to a man is extremely assignment sound. Be it gap, be it leverage, be it coverage call or even the way they attack shoulders on the los to free guys up to the qb or ball carrier etc.

They do have their fair share of first rounders on that defense....pretty much all their top players were highly touted coming out of school. Hightower, Shelton, McCourty, Gilmore all in the first and Collins, Chung, and Van Noy in the second. No question that they get quality play out of some journeymen types but the core is built around some serious talent.

To me its that fact that they can conjure up a serviceable offensive line most every season that never ceases to amaze.

Looks promising? Nah. If they over achieve maybe it will be a mediocre draft class. This draft class had no impact on the team and our record shows that as well.

We need to stop being ok with mediocre drafts. I know for a fact you all will be content with whoever Chris Grier drafts because you guys support him but I won't be. I want great drafts... Hell, at this point I would take an above average draft class. Up to this point Chris Grier's last 3 drafts have led us to this record and the worst season in recent history.

My posts annoy you because you are a complacent Homer and I am the antithesis of that. I criticize what is wrong and give credit where it is due. I call it like I see it. You on the other hand see everything with Aqua and Orange glasses on. Blind Faith is for the religious.
In addition Josh Rosen has to be counted as part of that draft. If you look at FAs plus the draft Grier has done a fine job. This draft upcoming will be his biggest test. I think that Flores is here now so we're much smarter.

If Dieter steps up and Rosen becomes our long term QB, he had an OUTSTANDING draft... and this is possible.

If they don't... then we got a good DT and some late rounders.

Back
Top Bottom