Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Everything Will Be Bad Until O-line Is Fixed

So let Tunsil and James walk and spend high on the interior then?

Because you aren’t paying that kind of money on the offensive line and subsequently take a $27 million dollar cap hit for your QB.

It is not a sustainable model nor a realistic one.

And you certainly don’t force the issue in a draft that is set up to fix a defense almost immediately.

Tho it would be so Dolphins to do so.

With the rookie wage scale you can easily pay late 1st/early second round picks for 5 years and still pay Tunsil elite money. Not sure about James.

The larger point, though, is that quality run blocking does not translate to quality pass blocking. Denver run blocks very well, and they pass block very poorly. Garrett Bolles is the personification of this principle. He opens up a lot of holes in the running game, but he makes every pass rusher he faces look like an All Pro.

I didn't imply that run blocking equates to pass blocking. I merely pointed out that Miami's OL has been terrible and both and that puts the offense in an even worse position. Pass blocking is easier on third and 3 than it is on 3rd and 11. Also, when you have a defense that gets the ball back for your offense, you have a chance to run more plays and control the game.

The worst possible scenario for a QB is a team that cannot run block, pass block, or stop anyone else (especially when it matters).

And yet it was Tannehill that threw 3 TDs and led the come from behind drive when Miami needed it, to take the lead for good...
Not only Phillips’ dumb ass penalty he was assisted by a gift 25 yard PI and 20 yard run by Drake. He threw one pass into double coverage that resulted in a TD. Very nice pass indeed but overall his play wasn’t good.

As innacurate as Josh Allen is he is a guy that put the Bills offense on his back and damn near pulled out a victory yesterday. He made big plays when needed. Tannehill doesn’t do that. He needs a strong defense, solid OL, running game and good coaching to have any chance at long term success. He is the definition of mediocrity.

LOL.

I didn't imply that run blocking equates to pass blocking. I merely pointed out that Miami's OL has been terrible and both and that puts the offense in an even worse position. Pass blocking is easier on third and 3 than it is on 3rd and 11. Also, when you have a defense that gets the ball back for your offense, you have a chance to run more plays and control the game.

The worst possible scenario for a QB is a team that cannot run block, pass block, or stop anyone else (especially when it matters).

Miami is a bad situation for any QB - agreed. Unless you have a QB that can do things to overcome a bad situation, though, I see a reason to pay him the way Miami did, contributing to the bad situation.

With a huge assist to Jordan Phillips. Taking the ball out of his hands on 3rd and 1 to run a wildcat with s 3rd string rookie clearly indicates Gase has lost confidence in him.

The one thing Tanny did in this game was throw with confidence. Sure you get the deep ball INT, but then you also get the Parker TD and the Stills one. The guy doesn’t go down without a fight and I can see why many like him but we know the story and the high cap hit and requirement of needing so much right around him plus the injury history is not one to continue investing in.

Paycut is mandatory IMO for him to stick in 2019.

He threw one pass into double coverage that resulted in a TD.

We've reached a new level of ridiculousness. This is the new standard for using backhanded compliments to trash the QB. Game winning TD is now a reason to bad mouth the QB.

His passes now "result in TDs". LOL.

Miami is a bad situation for any QB - agreed. Unless you have a QB that can do things to overcome a bad situation, though, I see a reason to pay him the way Miami did, contributing to the bad situation.

The restructure was brutal and enabled more incompetence.

Just be bad and then draft well after the season. Don’t delay the inevitable by bringing in aging stop gaps with restructured money.

This is a horribly run franchise.

I love the rookie QB lust exaggeration, it's my favorite part of having a rookie QB. Allen did some nice things yesterday. He moves around awesome, that's really impressive. But he led his team to 17 points, turned the ball over twice and here's the kicker he did it against our defense, which 90% of the site thinks is terrible, and a lame duck DC. Is our defense good when it's convenient? He made Kiko, who everybody thinks is terrible, look like a fool. Is that supposed to be ultra impressive? I remember when Sam Darnold was the 2nd coming of Christ too, that was a fun WEEK.

Meanwhile our injured QB makes the most of very, very few opportunities, due to pitiful line play, and against a much better defense. Leads the offense to 21 points and 1 TO and he's a complete **** bag. This site is the best!!!

Josh Allen may be good someday but a game vs the 2018 Dolphins defense where his team scored 17 is not that impressive. I mean I get it, Clay let him down but how many threads do you think would be started about a Tannehill underthrow if the same thing happened to us? I bet half the main forum would be talking about the underthrow and excusing the drop.

I have not suggested forcing anything at QB . . . .but if anybody in this draft makes you say “damn that kid is a stud” . . . .you need to be prepared to make that move.

The number one issue on this team is the QB. And that comes from more than just his play . . . .that comes from reliability . . . .that comes from a demanding cap hit for a guy who we know needs much more than what is around him to have success.

It is absolutely the top priority.

Thanks......I would agree that if you find a "stud" you like....even in the 2nd thru 7th rounds....you go for it. If that happens, then great! If not, you still don't force it. Not saying you said that, but I have seen it enough being said to have to make the point.

So if you are concerned about RT's availability and financial impact, that is a bit different for me than his actual performance on the field, which dictates that I keep him until I have someone better in place. However if you don't think he is going to be healthy or if you can't renegotiate the cap hit, then you have to make a business decision. That happens all the time in the NFL and shouldn't surprise anyone.

For me, barring a "stud" materializing, I would prefer to fix the many other holes we have on this team in 2019 and then move up as far as necessary in 2020 to get exactly who we want to be our future QB.

Meanwhile Billy Turner is starting for the Broncos and Mike Pouncey is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Think many of you guys are overestimating the “lack of talent”. Again that doesn’t mean Larsen doesn’t suck . . .but it is more than a talent issue. Good teams have offensive lines littered with low round picks and UDFAs and they perform at high levels.
Its just the newest excuse for 7 years of failed QB play. Of course the O line will look terrible with a statue standing in the pocket. If the primary isn't there he malfunctions and freezes..Its a gitch they are trying to fix in the manual for robothill. But, as of now its default back to O line. I mean how bad must Buffalo's O line be if the QB had to scramble and leave the pocket for 135 yards? Isnt he supposed to stand there?
Tunsil is very good, the rest of the guys are JAGs and larsen is terrible. But, as you mentioned with Pouncey and Turner our guys get severely downgraded bc we have a QB that is one of the worst I have ever seen at improvising or avoiding rush. Eli Manning bad.

The one thing Tanny did in this game was throw with confidence. Sure you get the deep ball INT, but then you also get the Parker TD and the Stills one. The guy doesn’t go down without a fight

I agree with this. For years, people complained that he didn't have a gun slinger mentality. Yesterday he made plays and people complain.......

Throw to guys who are wide open - anyone can do that.
Throw to guys who are covered - stupid decision, he got lucky.
Don't throw to guys who are covered - no guts, doesn't have "it".

and I can see why many like him but we know the story and the high cap hit and requirement of needing so much right around him plus the injury history is not one to continue investing in.

He doesn't need "so much" right around him. He needs something better than trash.

Here is the source of the disagreement. IMO, when things have been at their best around Tannehill, they have only been decent. There has never been a time where the supporting cast was very good and performing at their best for any lengthy period of time. He has never played is a situation like Prescott in 2016, or Goff the last two seasons, or Keenum last season, or Wentz last season.

Not mandatory, but I'd sure like to see it.

The restructure was brutal and enabled more incompetence.

Just be bad and then draft well after the season. Don’t delay the inevitable by bringing in aging stop gaps with restructured money.

This is a horribly run franchise.

Yeah, this is the problem with the current structure. Owners don't know what they're doing (across the league), so they'll hang on to coaches and GM's who flounder in mediocrity, failing to understand that this is the worst scenario. So, you have coaches and GM's who will sacrifice opportunities to meaningfully improve the team.

The one thing Tanny did in this game was throw with confidence. Sure you get the deep ball INT, but then you also get the Parker TD and the Stills one. The guy doesn’t go down without a fight and I can see why many like him but we know the story and the high cap hit and requirement of needing so much right around him plus the injury history is not one to continue investing in.

The salary cap is the most overrated thing in the world. It's easily manipulated, the 3 YPC guys literally laugh at the cap police. While I agree Tanny should agree to take a pay cut we can free up plenty of money to fix the team in 2019 without touching him. It just depends where you spend it, we suck at that part.

With a huge assist to Jordan Phillips. Taking the ball out of his hands on 3rd and 1 to run a wildcat with s 3rd string rookie clearly indicates Gase has lost confidence in him.

Gase is probably trying to setup Tammy as a scapegoat. I would rather see Gase leave first. And then us draft a QB in 2020

Back
Top Bottom