First Round Combo | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Round Combo

They’ll trade down with Cincy and get a couple more picks. Bengals will sell their soul for Sewell. Miami will take Chase and possibly an edge/Najee with 1B. This is the weapons draft so they KNOW what Tua can do. No wasted time.

I'm having a hard time drafting a WR with the 3rd overall pick.

There have only been 5 WRs taken top 3 in the last 21 years:
Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Braylon Edwards, Calvin Johnson.

You’re having a hard time moving on to present day. You’re stuck in the past.

Fwiw, if you’re going to cite history as reason not to do something or why something can’t or won’t happen then Devonta Smith shouldn’t have just won the Heisman trophy. Especially considering that no other receiver had won the award in nearly 30 years.

But guess what? Devonta Smith just won the Heisman trophy. Rendering historical trends moot. Each day is a new day. Anything can happen. And just did.

As stated in an earlier post, receivers are more important and impactful today than they’ve ever been. If you look around the league and identify the very best teams, pretty much all of them have at least 1 elite level receiver (including TE’s) in addition to their good or elite level QB.

KC has Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.
BUF has Stefon Diggs.
SEA has DK Metcalf.
GB has Devante Adams.
NO has Michael Thomas.
TB has Mike Evans.
TEN has AJ Brown.

Very few playoff caliber teams don’t have a play making receiver like those listed above. And many of them have a very good #2 guy to go with their alpha.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what draft position a player of that caliber can be found. MIA just has to get one. And there are no better odds than selecting the highest rated players in a given draft.

Devonta Smith has already proved he’s different than most. There’s no reason to believe that can’t continue in the NFL.

Yes you build it inside out. But every year? Year after year? This is the Grier trend. He’s never done building inside because outside guys can just be filled in.
But that’s the mindset of 1990 New York Giants. It’s not today’s NFL that is geared to score and set up to allow more scoring. I’m tired of year after year of offensive suckage in first half of season and first half of games only to find offense in second halves of both. We absolutely must get weapons. Smith will be top 5 on every draft board so going w him at 3 is not a reach.
Football teams will always be built on the lines of scrimmage. It’s going to be that way until the end of time. Like I said I agree with u it seems every year or every other year we’re going OL but in this unique situation you don’t pass on what is considered to be the best OT to come out in many years for a WR at #3. It’s just to risky bc WRs drafted that high are either going to be an all pro or a bust. Theirs no middle ground in that. Meanwhile if we take Sewell at least if he busts you’re not going to lose your job bc everybody else will still say it was the right pick at the time.

They’ll trade down with Cincy and get a couple more picks. Bengals will sell their soul for Sewell. Miami will take Chase and possibly an edge/Najee with 1B. This is the weapons draft so they KNOW what Tua can do. No wasted time.

Since many on this board seem to be stuck in the past, they’ll tell you there’s no way this can happen. Because, historically, CIN hasn’t traded top draft picks. And that may indeed hold true.

But you just never know. Trends are trends until they aren’t anymore.

You’re having a hard time moving on to present day. You’re stuck in the past.

Fwiw, if you’re going to cite history as reason not to do something or why something can’t or won’t happen then Devonta Smith shouldn’t have just won the Heisman trophy. Especially considering that no other receiver had won the award in nearly 30 years.

But guess what? Devonta Smith just won the Heisman trophy. Rendering historical trends moot. Each day is a new day. Anything can happen. And just did.

As stated in an earlier post, receivers are more important and impactful today than they’ve ever been. If you look around the league and identify the very best teams, pretty much all of them have at least 1 elite level receiver (including TE’s) in addition to their good or elite level QB.

KC has Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.
BUF has Stefon Diggs.
SEA has DK Metcalf.
GB has Devante Adams.
NO has Michael Thomas.
TB has Mike Evans.
TEN has AJ Brown.

Very few playoff caliber teams don’t have a play making receiver like those listed above. And many of them have a very good #2 guy to go with their alpha.

In the end, it doesn’t matter what draft position a player of that caliber can be found. MIA just has to get one. And there are no better odds than selecting the highest rated players in a given draft.

Devonta Smith has already proved he’s different than most. There’s no reason to believe that can’t continue in the NFL.
Smith winning the heisman has absolutely zero to do with how he will turn out in the NFL. The percentages say a WR drafted in the late 1st or 2nd will turn out to be a better player than the WR drafted in the top 6/7. If you take Smith or any WR at 3 and he doesn’t perform at an all pro level somebody is going to lose their job for that mistake. At least if you trade down to 7/8/9 and you take a WR if he busts you can say well at least we got a haul of picks with it.

Theirs 3 trade partners if we want to go down. Detroit at 7 Carolina at 8 and Denver at 9. All 3 of those teams could potentially go QB. My preference would be Detroit bc it’s a far enough drop for us to ask for their 2022 #1 which is damn near guaranteed to be top 10 and maybe even top 5. But any 3 of those spots have to be willing to give me their 2022 #1 or I’m hanging up the phone. Whether it’s 7 8 or 9 we’re still high enough to get one of the 3 premium WRs.
If there was ever going to be a year for a trade up for a Qb it was Miami and SD and they just waited out Wash and Detroit and I already forget the other team and it was crickets - this year Cinci Detroit Denver and Carolina have too many holes to be handing out 1s

Particularly with Den and Lock and Car with Teddy

Houston giving up its 3rd OA is a lesson to all GMs not to give away firsts

If there was ever going to be a year for a trade up for a Qb it was Miami and SD and they just waited out Wash and Detroit and I already forget the other team and it was crickets - this year Cinci Detroit Denver and Carolina have too many holes to be handing out 1s

Particularly with Den and Lock and Car with Teddy

Houston giving up its 3rd OA is a lesson to all GMs not to give away firsts
If you don’t ask for it then you definitely won’t get it. The worst they can say is no in which case we get the best OT prospect in years. We win either way. You never know until after pro days and combine and all that stuff maybe one of those 3 I mentioned absolutely fall in love with Fields Wilson Lance or even Trask or Jones. Maybe we catch a desperate GM looking to make a splash. Maybe we catch a GM that’s just in love with 1 of them. Maybe Miami’s smokescreens their ass off and has a gullible believer. All it takes is 1 GM to be in love.

Smith winning the heisman has absolutely zero to do with how he will turn out in the NFL.

Exactly. As do the “percentages“ or previous draft history. However a select few aren’t understanding this very simple concept.

Smith winning the Heisman was just an example of how the past has nothing to do with what can happen now. That’s the beauty of randomness.

3rd - Sewell
18th - Waddle
2A - Harris
2B - LB or pass rush here.
3rd round -7th BPA

Address front 7 and interior offensive line in free agency.

The only pick u probably hit on is 3rd pick.. anything after that.. who know who dolphins going pick.. draft is just fun for espn draft team..when they over hype players. Than talk trash about them in 2yr..

why does everyone love harris he's not even the top 2 RB in the draft. Have you guys seen Trey Sermon? the man reminds me of a young Marshawn lynch, he runs angry

Exactly. As do the “percentages“ or previous draft history. However a select few aren’t understanding this very simple concept.

Smith winning the Heisman was just an example of how the past has nothing to do with what can happen now. That’s the beauty of randomness.
The “percentages” also say a WR drafted late 1st or in the 2nd will turn out to be better than the 1st WR selected. I’m with you that we need weapons I think everybody would agree with that. But you don’t just start drafting just because you need that position. You HAVE to get value for where you pick the player. I understand what you’re saying and what you believe and I respect your opinion but in my opinion it’s just to risky to select a WR at #3. Especially when their are 3 premium WRs in this draft. Chase Smith and Waddle are considered the cream of the crop. Chances are 1 is a bust 1 will be above average/good and the other will be an all pro. We just have to pick the right one which is easier said than done.

One of the things that I find odd about the Cincinnati debate is the assumption that Cincy, who absolutely never trades up, will suddenly trade up for one specific lineman when there are a few others who are serviceable. I think this is even stranger because of the fact that Cincy has so many holes to fill. If anything, Cincy's best bet is the same as most teams with a lot of holes... trade down and pick up more weapons.
If, say... San Francisco wanted a QB, they might come to Cincy and offer their 12 and sweeteners... then Cincy could draft Darrisaw or Slater AND another lineman with the free pick-- thus giving Burrow more protection.

We could do this too... and it is exactly what so many posters want us to do, but they expect Cincy (a weak team) to put all their eggs in one basket, while the stronger Dolphin team loads up on players. This line of 'logic' is mystifying in its thoughtlessness.

why does everyone love harris he's not even the top 2 RB in the draft. Have you guys seen Trey Sermon? the man reminds me of a young Marshawn lynch, he runs angry
Travis Etienne and Najee Harris are the clear top 2 tailbacks in this draft. Now that doesn’t mean their going to turn out to be the 2 best players in the NFL but as it stands they are the top 2 and it’s not really close. Trey Sermon has undoubtedly played very well during the Big 10 championship game and the sugar bowl against my Tigers but he’s also running behind a massive OL and Ohio St played with a chip on their shoulder last Friday. Big props to them but I think he’s a clear 2/3 steps behind Etienne/Harris and even a couple of other guys like JeVonte Williams and Kenneth Gainwell. I’ll be interested to see how he looks against Alabama in the title game next week. Definitely a chance for him to raise his stock.

Back
Top Bottom