Fitzpatrick shocked at benching | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick shocked at benching

I think Fitz would have been better off not doing that interview yesterday. He made it more awkward than it needed to be. He could have kept his feelings to himself, coaches, teammates, and his family without saying it in public.

Certainly some drama queen in what all he said. I just think that’s what you say if you’re not ready to quit playing yet. It was a sales pitch to other teams. That’s it.

Fitz has been in the business a long time. He hasn’t played for half the league because he doesn’t know how to sell himself.

How is stating the obvious degrading? Let me ask you, and be honest, have you ever been fired or lost a good paying job that you liked? You don't have to post your answer but think back, did you act like that to the public? Yeah ya might have cried to your wife or best friend but I really doubt you acted like Fitz, I mean be honest he was all but asking if he could call his Grandmother like another player we had.

I mean talk about "white privilege", the dude makes what 8 million a year, and oh by the way no he didn't get fired, he is still getting paid. He got demoted, and I know that doesn't feel good but what he did was make it harder to move forward for everyone involved, when he didn't have to. If he took two seconds to realize there are millions of people who have actually LOST their job during this pandemic and are waiting 6 plus hrs in food lines just to survive he might think twice before making such an insensitive statement.

Look I like Fitz but he knew this was coming, had been told to expect it, knew it wouldn't feel good when it happened, but every player at every level has went through the same thing. Even the high school player who loves the game with all his soul but doesn't have the talent to go to the next level felt the same thing. Fitz had two ways to play this, and like it or not he chose the wrong way. Tua has enough on his plate that he shouldn't have to worry about what Fitz is dealing with. Believe me the day will come in what will seem like a blink of the eye when Tua will be exactly where Fitz is, and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that he handles it better.

Had a boss once who ran a full service gas station. For over a year he had the clocks set back. He expected you to be in early and leave late to the tune of an hour per day. So he left the point of sale manual one day and I had educated myself, he was truly an unscrupulous business man to say the least.

Fast forward a month and I had already told him I was heading off to college at the end of the month. He sat across the road and waited til I tuned off the lights, came hauling ass in, opens the door and says "closing early again I see and points to his watch". It reads 9:30pm. I said "nope not by my clock" and I hit the button on the computer 10:01pm (keep in mind cell phones and other random clocks didn't exist yet where everyone was in sync). See I had set the clock on the Point of Sale to the proper time because I memorized the 150 page manual lol.

He looks at me and says "I think this should be your last night" to which my answer was "My thoughts exactly, I have beer to drink. Here you lock up!". I toss him my keys and walk out. All his business folded about a year and half later, the con was up lol.

My point here, go to work or walk out and go drink your beer.

Had a boss once who ran a full service gas station. For over a year he had the clocks set back. He expected you to be in early and leave late to the tune of an hour per day. So he left the point of sale manual one day and I had educated myself, he was truly an unscrupulous business man to say the least.

Fast forward a month and I had already told him I was heading off to college at the end of the month. He sat across the road and waited til I tuned off the lights, came hauling *** in, opens the door and says "closing early again I see and points to his watch". It reads 9:30pm. I said "nope not by my clock" and I hit the button on the computer 10:01pm (keep in mind cell phones and other random clocks didn't exist yet where everyone was in sync). See I had set the clock on the Point of Sale to the proper time because I memorized the 150 page manual lol.

He looks at me and says "I think this should be your last night" to which my answer was "My thoughts exactly, I have beer to drink. Here you lock up!". I toss him my keys and walk out. All his business folded about a year and half later, the con was up lol.

My point here, go to work or walk out and go drink your beer.
Sounds like a good movie script...

Anyway, the point is Fitz knew he would get replaced eventually, but he was still caught off-guard when it happened after a 24-0 win -on the heels of a huge win against the 49ers, no less-, and with the team trending up. It's almost unheard of in the history of the league. Not that the benching was wrong, but that's why he wasn't ready for the news. Take it as you will.

What I don't understand is people are approaching this like you are either for Tua and against Fitz, or for Fitz and against Tua. That doesn't have to be the case at all. You can be 100% on board with the switch and still feel empathy for a fellow human being who just got some pretty bad news.

You can also admit that for the majority of the past 18 months Fitz has been a lone bright spot in an otherwise starless sky. Even if its winning a height contest among fellow midgets, I appreciate that Fitz came to play every damn week. The same drive that had him take a beating and still get up is going to lead to an emotional gut punch when he finds its all over.

He should have, and I'm sure he did, mentally prepared himself the day Tua was drafted knowing that his demotion could come at any given week. He's a Harvard grad, he's smart enough to figure out all the trigger points, and going into a bye was the most likely time for the event to occur. He lost his starting spot, not his 8 million.

Anyway, the point is Fitz knew he would get replaced eventually, but he was still caught off-guard when it happened after a 24-0 win -on the heels of a huge win against the 49ers, no less-, and with the team trending up. It's almost unheard of in the history of the league. Not that the benching was wrong, but that's why he wasn't ready for the news. Take it as you will.
But it's not like Fitz played that good in the Jets game. He struggled quite a bit as a matter of fact.

thats fine and you can understand that some people dont feel bad for him given the situation he's in. I feel worse for the rookie whos busted his *** all preseason, worked as hard as he could and than gets cut on the final day and he's gotta look for job somewhere else thats probably not football related

again, its not an either/or proposition. I feel bad for the rookie too. The fact that a hypothetical rookie may be in a worse situation doesn't take anything away from the situation Fitz is currently in.

He'll be okay. He will survive. Everybody experiences set-backs in life. Supporting one in their setback doesn't mean you are taking sides.

again, its not an either/or proposition. I feel bad for the rookie too. The fact that a hypothetical rookie may be in a worse situation doesn't take anything away from the situation Fitz is currently in.

He'll be okay. He will survive. Everybody experiences set-backs in life. Supporting one in their setback doesn't mean you are taking sides.
im not saying its an either or situation. Im not sure how you would go about it but if you want to support him feel free. There are people who dont feel sorry for the situation he's in and thats ok too. Or are you saying everyone should feel really bad about fitz?

Certainly some drama queen in what all he said. I just think that’s what you say if you’re not ready to quit playing yet. It was a sales pitch to other teams. That’s it.

Fitz has been in the business a long time. He hasn’t played for half the league because he doesn’t know how to sell himself.

You may have addressed this in another thread and i didn't catch it.
As someone that has followed Tua longer than most on this thread what are you expecting from him?

Difficulty adjusting to the game?
Lots of mistakes?
Clean game?
Suprising success?

Back
Top Bottom