Football is not life | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football is not life

Or so my fiancé says. She has her friend flying in Thursday and she makes all these grand plans for us to go out and do things Sunday without mentioning anything to me. Did she bother to let me know these plans prior Does she know that she is asking me to possibly miss the first start of what may be the future of our franchise ? I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't got out and hang with the guys. I watch football. What is up with these women ?

I say this all in jest, but what the hell ? FYI, she rearranged the schedule but is not totally happy. I will regret this later.
Waaaaaaaaaaaait a minute. "Football is not life?!?!!?!?!??!?" ...... that sounds like another one of these ridiculous preaching sessions by the woman in your life to brainwash you into believing that sex is more important than football. HEY!!!! .... CAKE .... and EAT IT TOO. First we watch football, THEN we have sex. Give your friend a $20 bill and let her take the tourist bus to the monuments. Tell her we'll catch up with her on Monday ... as long as the Dolphins aren't playing on Monday Night.

Tell her that its kinda your job socially as EVERYONE in America will watch if they can...

Lol, my daughter has 2 kids and I told her one time when I picked them up on a Saturday during football season "I am dropping them off at 12 tomorrow whether you are home or not." What do you mean she asked, and I said... "Football starts at 1, I will be there at 12. If you are home I will gladly bring them in, give you a hug and tell you bye. If you are not home they will be waiting on the porch when you get there." She was home when I got there the next day...
You sir, are a inspiration to us all.

Set the ground rules now......football season is only about 20 weeks long, so that leaves about 32 weeks availability.

Last edited:
Been married 20 years, took a little while but my wife understands how much watching the game means. Asks most weeks what time they’re on. It also helps my oldest son is into the games also now.
Wasn’t always that way though. My family planned a surprise 1 year anniversary party for us in September 2001. My wife was pissed I spent 3/4 of the party watching the Phins vs Raiders. It was the first game after 9/11 when Fieldler dove in for the win. See I remember that more than the party ;)
As most have said, she will probably be a little mad, but I am sure she understands it’s Tua’s debut and if not, there will be other women :chuckle:

That game was epic. I knew Fiedler lacked the NFL arm but he was as good as it gets at the other aspects of the game. I still have his jersey hanging in my personal HOF. (The only jersey I ever bought and threw away was Culpepper).

I'll never forget that sports illustrated shot of him with his arm raised.

No TV at the hospital ?
She was in labor during the game and my job was to be with her and be her coach. There was no TV in the delivery room and I really felt being with her while she delivered our daughter was far more important than trying to find a TV to watch the game. The Dolphins ended up losing to the Chargers that day but I won by having our daughter.

I've been married 19 years now, have 2 older teenage kids, and my wife knew that I was a football guy well before we tied the knot.

That being said, I've always found a way to compromise when it comes to things like this.

You do what's right for you and your relationship as that's priority #1.

I'd just stress that its only 3 hrs out of the day, not the whole day or anything.

That's if you want to see the whole thing (which you probably do ...but again compromise) maybe just watch the second half or the first half...

Again, you do what's right for you and your relationship as LIFE is what matters in the long run. Football and the Dolphins will be here, its not like the last game ever or anything.

(I don't know what COVID restrictions there are where you are at but maybe go to a restaurant and use that time to eat...they eat and you can watch the game...and eat too)

Stand your ground. This only happens once man. Football may not be life but Tua is

She's already made changes to the plans..... she " seemed " to be OK with it. I'll deal with the consequences later. Although, these stories and the plethora of advice is good and bad is hilarious.

That’s good news.

What would you miss to watch Marino’s first game live? The answer should be the same for this Sunday at 1pm.

This thread kinda reminded of one of the best movie scenes of all time. Good Will Hunting - Yaz’s game six homer.

Or so my fiancé says. She has her friend flying in Thursday and she makes all these grand plans for us to go out and do things Sunday without mentioning anything to me. Did she bother to let me know these plans prior Does she know that she is asking me to possibly miss the first start of what may be the future of our franchise ? I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't got out and hang with the guys. I watch football. What is up with these women ?

I say this all in jest, but what the hell ? FYI, she rearranged the schedule but is not totally happy. I will regret this later.
I do drink, I do do drugs, I do hang out with my friends and I watch football. The difference between having a fiancé, and a wife of 30 years. Lol.

Sunday is Tua’s day. If she doesn’t get that then there’s plenty of other fiancés out there bro. You only get one chance to see the man who will be known as the greatest qb of all time play his first game once in your life man. You know what needs to be done.

I hear ya man. My wife and I are taking a weekend trip to Gettysburgh. I said we needed to get up early Sunday to be back for 1:00 because of Tua and the game. She wants to have a relaxing morning back with some shopping. I just can't have that. No sure how this is going to go. lol
that is my ultimate nightmare scenario

You better decide when and where to put your foot down.

This is one of those time. Tell her to have fun.

17 years and my wife may not love it but she deals with it. I seldom have plans on Sunday’s and honestly when I do the guys watch football anyway and it a lot of fun other than the fact that the fins may not be on TV. I have the ticket so worse case i watch the game on my phone. My wife hates direct TV too but I just keep telling her they are losing the ticket soon.

Is this a couple coming or just the wife’s friend? I’m surprised she just doesn’t want to hang out with the friend and let you alone for the weekend ?. Pretty sure that’s what mine would have done 17 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom