Give Fiedler a Chance? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Fiedler a Chance?

Jester365 said:
I missed a game where any of those guys got 38% completions and a single digit QB rating of 8.0 :eek:

Show me a game Jay started in his career other than this one where his rating was an 8. :rolleyes2

Huard, Lucas, and Griese have games with QB ratings in the teens or twenties just like Jay does. The difference between Huard/Lucas and Griese/Fiedler is that the latter two have enough games under their belt that you might expect this while the other two really don't. The difference between Jay and Griese is that Brian has a lot more physical tools that he lets lay fallow and that Brian is a walking injury while Jay is close to that status but has managed to complete a season in his past.

jesusfreak26 said:
See I for one have said that I wanted the best man to start. I said I was totally behind Wanny's decision one way or the other. I do have to say that they have shown loyalty to Jay for the last 4 years. I am not gonna argue wether it was a bad decision to pull him or not. IMO it was the right thing to do. I did not see the game until tape delay but even the radio announcers were saying that you could just see it on Jay's face, he was clearly rattled. After watching the tape he was. They also said you could see it on the players face and you could. I believe that is why they pulled him and I think it was the right thing to do. I have supported Jay for 4 years and if he was the starting Qb right now I would continue to support him and I will continue to support him, even if he is holding a clipboard because he is still apart of this team.

However I do think it is time for a change. I love Jay's heart and his will to win but that clearly is not enough for this team to win. They need someone who can make the plays in the passing game and Jay can't and maybe A.J can't. A.J has shown me in his little time here that I think he can but I think we will see this week. I agree with people on here to though that I don't think we need to be playing musical QB's. Wanny needs to put the guy in there and let him be the guy.

While I still do not agree with the decision made to pull Jay, I agree with all other points. Nice post.

Jimmy James said:
No, what you said is that Jay couldn't possibly have won that Titans game. Would you like to change your story now?

Which games are you talking about that Huard "won for us" (which, btw, I thought QBs didn't win games for the mighty Dolphins and their D)? It certainly wasn't the Jets game in 2000 where they made us their b*****s after a very close 3 point loss with Jay at the helm. Lest you attribute that to being at home for Jay's game, Jay's game was the ROAD GAME.

As to creampuff teams, you mean like Dallas last year? What about Denver in 2002? :rolleyes2

Jay has been injured 3 times in 4 years. In one of those instances, he stayed in the damned game and won it for us. If that were any other ****ing quarterback in the league, the team's fans would give him respect for that. Why must so many of my fellow fans give him so much undeserved hell? :fire:

As to Griese, my point was that as good as Denver's line was, they weren't 5 Pro Bowlers. If he couldn't get it done there, he couldn't get it done anywhere. Don't give me this crap about opportunity, either. Brian started for more seasons that Jay did, and Brian has never completed a season like Jay has (once). Perhaps you should get your facts straight, my friend.

Damon went 5-1 as a starter for us Dans last year when he was out with the pinched nerve. He looked decent doing it as well. I do not believe he was our future either. But to say he was worse than Jay at that time, you had more to go on with Damon, he had a 5-1 record as a starter. Jay was better physically, Dave made the right choice with Jay then, IMO. I respect Jay, but jay will not be the furture of this team, we need to get better qb play than what we have gotten. Is AJ the one to do it? I hope but dont know for fact, but sitting on the bench wont tell either. Jay has big games and would most likely have more, the trouble is he will have just as many bad games. He cannot put those games together consistently. He doesnt have the arm.

inFINSible said:
If the players on this team don't see that DW has been loyal to Jay for the last 4 years, when the entire NFL said he was stupid for it, then there is no hope at all. We are dealing with a bunch or alzheimer ridden nancy-boys who get their feelings hurt way to easily and with whom even Lombardi couldn't coax a championship from.

This is stacking the deck. The entire NFL HAS NOT said that DW was stupid for sticking with Jay. There is no need to go fabricating facts to support your position.

DrAstroZoom said:
I think these guys need to know that in a season like this where every game is critical, you have to perform if you want to keep your job.

So, are you saying that you would be all for pulling AJ in the same situation?

Jimmy James said:
This is stacking the deck. The entire NFL HAS NOT said that DW was stupid for sticking with Jay. There is no need to go fabricating facts to support your position.
What percentage would you be happy with? Go ahead and pick a number, I will agree to anything above 80%.

Sorry to throw you off the point with my poor choice of words. I'll try and be more careful. :D

shouright said:
So if he was embarrassed by his choice, then that means he was thinking about himself instead of his players. That's the problem here. As soon as the players start thinking, "man, this guy doesn't care about US -- he's just trying to save his job," this team is going to deteriorate quick.

No, he was probably thinking, "man I made the wrong choice, I gave Fiedler a chance and he messed it up."

I am sorry, but this guy had a horrible first half. I do not think he deserved anything. Plus you are practically insulting all players as these guys with really weak egos that can be shattered at a drop of a hat. These are grown men. They all realize if they don't do their job, there is a chance that their job could be given to someone else.

Plus Fielder did have plenty of chances. He wasn't pulled after the first 3 and out. He wasn't pulled after the 2nd 3 and out. He wasn't pulled after the first interception. He wasn't on such a short leash that one mistake and then he sits. He made many mistakes. Mistakes that he shouldn't of made.

rickeyrunsover said:
Damon went 5-1 as a starter for us Dans last year when he was out with the pinched nerve. He looked decent doing it as well. I do not believe he was our future either. But to say he was worse than Jay at that time, you had more to go on with Damon, he had a 5-1 record as a starter. Jay was better physically, Dave made the right choice with Jay then, IMO. I respect Jay, but jay will not be the furture of this team, we need to get better qb play than what we have gotten. Is AJ the one to do it? I hope but dont know for fact, but sitting on the bench wont tell either. Jay has big games and would most likely have more, the trouble is he will have just as many bad games. He cannot put those games together consistently. He doesnt have the arm.

Thank you for writing this so I can make this absolutely clear here:

I am not suggesting that Jay needs to be playing. I am suggesting that this is a team on the brink of being lost by the coaches because the chips are really down. Dave needs to have a steady hand and commit to a QB. He has already shown a tendency for impatience in game 1, and that cannot continue. I support AJ getting the call this week, and I have supported him getting the call whenever the coaching staff thought he was ready for a good month now in every thread on the topic I have contributed to. I have also been on the record since Saturday or Sunday saying that AJ needs to get a real chance without a quick hook for poor performance. This is for his sake, but it is also for the sake of the rest of the offense that is in chaos now. Suggesting that if DW wanted to start Jay, Jay should have been the man for the whole game is totally consistant with that position, and that is what I am arguing here.

inFINSible said:
What percentage would you be happy with? Go ahead and pick a number, I will agree to anything above 80%.

Sorry to throw you off the point with my poor choice of words. I'll try and be more careful. :D

I'd like to see some justification that even half the league thinks this. I wasn't trying to get you on a technicality -- I was calling into question your statement on a much more serious level than that.

Jimmy James said:
I'd like to see some justification that even half the league thinks this. I wasn't trying to get you on a technicality -- I was calling into question your statement on a much more serious level than that.
Is the fact that Jay was possibly considered as a starting QB by possibly 1 team during his brief shopping-himself spree enough, or do I have to link to the inumerable articles from the last 3 years questioning Wannstedt's decision to not aggressivley seek an upgrade at the QB position?

Frankly, I can't believe that you're hanging your hat on such a weak point.

Jimmy James said:

It's going to be hard to catalogue a list of NFL observers, but I would have to agree that more than half of those I've heard or read thought Feeley should be or would be the starter from game one.

DrAstroZoom said:
It's going to be hard to catalogue a list of NFL observers, but I would have to agree that more than half of those I've heard or read thought Feeley should be or would be the starter from game one.

I think that is a much closer call. In fact, I think you may be right about that. It isn't how I read the comment made, though. I read it to suggest that the whole league felt it was stupid to stick with Jay as the QB during the past four years.

inFINSible said:
Is the fact that Jay was possibly considered as a starting QB by possibly 1 team during his brief shopping-himself spree enough, or do I have to link to the inumerable articles from the last 3 years questioning Wannstedt's decision to not aggressivley seek an upgrade at the QB position? Frankly, I can't believe that you're hanging your hat on such a weak point.

The good Dr.'s interpretation of what you said differs from mine. Reading your response, it seems like both of our interpretations differ from what you are talking about. I think it's probably best at this point to ask that you make a more specific claim before we all go off in different directions. Sound good?

Back
Top Bottom