Give Fiedler a Chance? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Give Fiedler a Chance?

I would argue that it would have been more destructive to leave Fiedler in for a series in the second half, then yank him. That would throw all your players out of rhythm. If you're going to make a change, why NOTY do it at halftime so everyone can be on the same page coming out of the tunnel?

DrAstroZoom said:
I would argue that it would have been more destructive to leave Fiedler in for a series in the second half, then yank him. That would throw all your players out of rhythm. If you're going to make a change, why NOTY do it at halftime so everyone can be on the same page coming out of the tunnel?
But that's a "one game only" perspective rather than a long-term one. Long-term, these guys wanna know that their coach has some loyalty to them. If we were down 21-0 it would've been different.

shouright said:
The problem is how it was done. DW talks like he's not rattled and then makes decisions like he IS. It's no wonder the players tune him out and "think he's a joke" (Ricky). He talks like Pollyanna and makes decisions like a nervous wreck.

I don't think he was rattled before the game. He got rattled during the game.
I think he had no choice but to pull him. He gave him another shot before the half and he threw another pick but it was out of bounds. He also threw another pass that was high and Rolle dropped it or it would have been another pick. He had seen enough and I think it was the right call. Its kind of like a trainer in a fight. If his fighter is getting constantly tore up would it be better to throw in the towel or let the other guy kill him. Yes it may hurt the fighters feelings but after watching the tape I'm sure he would thank his trainer but he wouldn't come out and tell his fans that.

shouright said:
The problem is how it was done. DW talks like he's not rattled and then makes decisions like he IS. It's no wonder the players tune him out and "think he's a joke" (Ricky). He talks like Pollyanna and makes decisions like a nervous wreck.
Can you name another decision that he's made like he's a nervous wreck?

IMO, JF was given ample notice that he was on a short leash. If the 4 years of coddling didn't help, then the threat of losing his job didn't bring any improvement, it's time to make the switch to the guy who was neck and neck with Jay in the first place.

shouright said:
But that's a "one game only" perspective rather than a long-term one. Long-term, these guys wanna know that their coach has some loyalty to them. If we were down 21-0 it would've been different.
If the players on this team don't see that DW has been loyal to Jay for the last 4 years, when the entire NFL said he was stupid for it, then there is no hope at all. We are dealing with a bunch or alzheimer ridden nancy-boys who get their feelings hurt way to easily and with whom even Lombardi couldn't coax a championship from.

inFINSible said:
Can you name another decision that he's made like he's a nervous wreck?

IMO, JF was given ample notice that he was on a short leash. If the 4 years of coddling didn't help then the threat of losing his job didn't bring any improvement, it's time to make the switch to the guy who was neck and neck with Jay in the first place.
Signing Cris Carter when we're 5-1 and coming off the big win at Denver. He should've let the backups show their stuff instead of pulling a guy out of retirement. Drafting Eddie Moore and Wade Smith WAY too early instead of relaxing and being patient.

And you can still have Jay on a short leash by letting him regroup mentally at halftime and giving him ONE series to redeem himself.

shouright said:
It's not that he did it, it's HOW he did it. He didn't give Fiedler a chance to redeem himself first. Some people ARE damned if they do and damned if they don't because they don't know how to do many things right. DW is one of them.
So the fact after 2 picks and a fumble in a span of 4 plays, DW let JF go back out for another series does not count as giving him another chance?

By the way. In that series JF missed on two more passes.

shouright said:

I think these guys need to know that in a season like this where every game is critical, you have to perform if you want to keep your job.

shouright said:
Signing Cris Carter when we're 5-1 and coming off the big win at Denver. He should've let the backups show their stuff instead of pulling a guy out of retirement. Drafting Eddie Moore and Wade Smith WAY too early instead of relaxing and being patient.

And you can still have Jay on a short leash by letting him regroup mentally at halftime and giving him ONE series to redeem himself.
:rolleyes:So we don't get off track here, can you name an ON THE FIELD move??

After nearly turning the ball over 5 times in the half, you want to give Jay a chance to put us down 14-0 to start the third??

shouright said:
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion. Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE AJ Feeley. But I do think Fiedler should've been given one series in the 2nd half last weekend to regroup and atone for his mistakes. If he blunders on that drive, yank him immediately, but at least give him the chance to make up for his mistakes.

We were only down 7-0 -- it wasn't time to hit the panic button. Part of my thinking is that Fiedler has brought us back in games in which OTHER people's mistakes put us behind -- he should at least be given the chance to make up for his OWN mistakes.

The reason I feel strongly about this is because of the message it sends the team in general. I don't want guys playing on eggshells thinking they'll be yanked after one HALF of mistakes when their coach pushes the panic button.

We need these guys playing aggressively, not on eggshells. And we need them to know they'll be given a chance to right their wrongs. Feeley is the better QB, no doubt, but this is a team, not just a QB.

Both his picks were back breakers! Feeley made a poor decision because he was trying to make something out of nothing, which is equally bad because you have to protect the ball. Fiedler on the other hand has worn out his chances. Mind you this isn't his first year and he still can't move this offense!!!

I didn't read through this whole thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone's comments.

Coming out of preseason I thought two things were obvious:

AJ was the future;

JF was making fewer mistakes.

I completely agreed that JF should get the start b/c this team couldn't afford the mistakes while waiting for the o-line to gel. However, in the Tenn. game JF was making mistakes, the kind of mistakes I was worried AJ would make. At that point there was no advantage to having JF in the game.

When AJ played he avoided the mistakes. His int. may or may not have been his fault. I attribute it more to two players with different expectations. (In contrast, both of JF ints were his fault, bad reads, passes)

The message I think was sent was that the future is now, AJ is ready.

shouright said:
Signing Cris Carter when we're 5-1 and coming off the big win at Denver. He should've let the backups show their stuff instead of pulling a guy out of retirement.
Obviously you memory is off. Miami did not sign Carter until Oct. 21st. after Game 7. So DW gave the back ups a chance to shine in Game 7.

James McKnight did not play in Game 8 and Miami needed another WR and its not like CC had been retired for years ala Deion. He had just retired.

shouright said:
Drafting Eddie Moore and Wade Smith WAY too early instead of relaxing and being patient.
Smith was drafted in the 3rd round. It was not a bad pick.

shouright said:
Then why not another after that? At some point a decision has to be made.

Had JF not thrown 2 picks and fumbled he would have started the 2nd half.

It was the turnovers that did him in. That is what JF is in there for. Simply to not make mistake, but if he is going to make rookie mistake then might as well put a young QB in that has more talent.

Jay looked rattles, i think it was a good move. we traded away a 2nd rd. pick for a 3rd stringer. he needs to earn his keep, get some real reps and hopefullly.........

go play for jimmy johnson or bill parcells. ONE mistake gets you taken out of a game. one fumble, one F-up. Feidler was having a bad day and it would have continued into the second half. AJ proved it was a good move with his performance. If Feidler played for any other coach he would have been benched even earlier.

I can't believe there are still fin fans among us that support Fiedler. He is the worst! It's actually an embarassment that he began the season as our starting QB.

Back
Top Bottom