Good to see the Jets screw up, again!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Good to see the Jets screw up, again!!

In the NY market, especially with that fanbase, you need a QB with veins of ice. A guy who doesn't react to bad press and doesn't let people get under their skin. That's why guys like Eli, Simms and even Pennington have been successful there, while guys like Sanchez have flopped.

I don't know about you, but Geno's attitude reminds me much more of Sanchez than it does Eli.

What are you basing this determination of his attitude on?

Are you serious? Boy, all you Jets fans are alike. This is self-explanatory.

If you had an actual answer I don't see why that's a dumb question. I'm genuinely curious, because every single interview I've seen from this guy demonstrates his intelligence and humility.

Imagine you're a college player slated to be the #1 QB in the draft. Everything you've worked for has come down to this. A huge part of your financial and pro future comes down to a couple of hours of prime-time scrutiny, where all you can do is sit there and wait. Every camera in the room is fixed on you. all your friends and family are watching and waiting for your name to be called. You can't play football, make any last minute plays to change anything. Just sit there. Everyone has told you that you will be picked today without a doubt. And then it happens, you slip to 2nd round. I think he's allowed a little emotional response don't you? It's not like this is the game, the football field where he has any control over anything, so it actually contrasts significantly to everything he will face going forward.

So I ask again: do you guys actually have any legitimate examples of his "bad attitude" other than this one incident? A time, which for many pro football players might be the toughest thing to deal with because you absolutely no control over it. Any real reasons? Anybody? Or are you just going to say "seriously?" Because you don't have an intelligent response..

Thank you... I was 10 and been a fan since the first game.

Nyjunc only uses stats that fit his arguenment.

So for you rare, old-as-hell guys who can actually use a computer, I guess that applies huh? I'm not sure how anyone can make that argument. Anyone with ant sense realizes that the 1970's is wholly irrelevant to the discussion on today's NFL, and specifically, these two teams.

If you had an actual answer I don't see why that's a dumb question. I'm genuinely curious, because every single interview I've seen from this guy demonstrates his intelligence and humility.

Imagine you're a college player slated to be the #1 QB in the draft. Everything you've worked for has come down to this. A huge part of your financial and pro future comes down to a couple of hours of prime-time scrutiny, where all you can do is sit there and wait. You can't play football, make any last minute plays to change anything. Just sit there. Everyone has told you that you will be picked today without a doubt. And then it happens, you slip to 2nd round. I think he's allowed a little emotional response don't you? It's not like this is the game, the football field where he has any control over anything, so it actually contrasts significantly to everything he will face going forward.

So I ask again: do you guys actually have any legitimate examples of his "bad attitude" other than this one incident? A time, which for many pro football players might be the toughest thing to deal with because you absolutely no control over it. Any real reasons? Anybody? Or are you just going to say "seriously?" Because you don't have an intelligent response..

This one incident is actually a number of different incidents. About 3. I do not have to list them out as you already know exactly what they are. They are well documented and have been discussed ad nauseum.

How are all of you so sure about what Geno Smith's future in the NFL holds? I'm an actual die-hard Jets fan, I've watched countless interviews with Geno, and he seems to me to be a fairly intelligent, articulate, and nice young man with a good head on his shoulders. He actually has a lot of knowledge and respect for the history of the NFL, and seems pretty level-headed. The guy might come off as a little un-enthusiastic about things, but I think he's just a calm guy who's focused on the future and realizes he hasn't accomplished much yet. I don't know what more you could ask for from a QB prospect.

So he showed a little anger and disappointment on draft day? So what, we've all seem it, even from the great Aaron Rodgers. It's only human, and his reaction perfectly natural. The fact is, he stayed and stuck it out. It's over and done with, and now he's going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder, which I think is great. I think Jets haters and people in general are way too over reactive about minor things and don't see the big picture. You guys are way to focused on what the media's perception of things is, and of course that's always negative towards this team. Form your own opinions, that's all I can say. I have, and I have absolutely no problem with Geno...yet

Clearly

Smith went last, thanking everyone and declaring that entire group – his agents included – were a "family" that would stay together his entire career, if not the rest of his life, the sources said. Smith, who at one point was expecting to be the No. 1 overall pick and at least a top 10 selection, has big plans for his career. Smith, according to the sources, hopes to emulate players such as Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, putting himself cut above the rest of the quarterback fray.
The problem is that NFL types see a guy who, right now, doesn't understand how to get there.

"His biggest problem is that he doesn't know what he doesn't know," said a league executive, who spent extensive time assessing Smith before the draft. "I'm not sure he knows how to take instruction because he pretty much wouldn't listen or talk to our coaches … he's talented. He can sling it, he can fit it into tight spots, he can do a lot of things and I think he wants to be good. But you can't tell him anything right now. He's tuned out because he thinks he's got it all down."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

In addition to his "im taking my ball and going home" routine at the draft, How about how he let his team basically fall apart midseason? He really didn't seem like he had the moxie to will his team to victory like a guy like Tebow did in college. And even the almighty Tebow was chewed up and spit out by the NYJ machine.

I just don't see a scenario where this will end well for Geno in NY. He has too high opinion of himself, and that will come crashing down to earth with explosive results if he struggles early on.

There are also countless reports that Geno did not perform well in meeting with teams. Some reports said that he didn't seem interested and was fiddling with his phone while other players were trying to learn from the coaches in the meetings. Not a good sign.

Since 1998:

div titles:
NYJ 2
Mia 2

playoff apps:
NYJ 7
Mia 5

playoff wins:
NYJ 7
Mia 3

title game apps:
NYJ 3
Mia 0

head to head:
NYJ 20
Mia 10

reg season record:
NYJ 125-115
Mia 118-122

playoff record:
NYJ 7-7
Mia 3-5

avg playoff score:
NYJ 21 Opp 22
Mia 11 Opp 28

All true. Yet you bums' trophy case is as empty as the Dolphins is since 1969-1973. Congrats on being a superb franchise like the Dolphins have been.

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

So for you rare, old-as-hell guys who can actually use a computer, I guess that applies huh? I'm not sure how anyone can make that argument. Anyone with ant sense realizes that the 1970's is wholly irrelevant to the discussion on today's NFL, and specifically, these two teams.

I'm with you on that. I wasn't alive in the 70s and even if I was, hanging on to what happened 40 years ago isn't something I'd partake in.

This one incident is actually a number of different incidents. About 3. I do not have to list them out as they are well documented and have been discussed ad nauseum.

Are you referring to his intention to leave NY, the reversal of that decision, and then his decision to fire his agents? Man, that took forever to recount.

First off, it is arrogant to assume you know better than a man in his position, or to pretend to know why he fired his agents. He is completely within his right to do any of those things. Fact is, he stayed in NY for the second round, even though he didn't have to. Who knows the thought process behind any of these decision. At least I'm not ignorant enough to assume I know better of would've acted differently if I was in his position.

The bottom line is that this incident, if you want to call it that, is over with. And sorry, but as I said before, I'm not arrogant or ignorant enough to pretend that I know the truth behind any of it because ESPN told me so. And if you do, I feel sorry for you for living in such media-driven ignorance.

My impressive of the kid, after reading far more about him than any Dolphins fan, and watching many more interviews than any of you as we'll, is that he is a very intelligent, articulate, humble, and determined young man who is all about football, all the time. He's focused on the task at hand, which is learning the offense and executing it well and competing on the field. He's not a "look at me" type guy, he's quiet and soft-spoken, and respectful.

So if that's what a guy with an attitude problem is like, what does a guy like Cam Newton qualify as? Sorry buddy, but u think you got this one wrong, and you should probably delve a little deeper before you believe every single thing you read..

Come back and read this thread in 3 years. I would bet a pretty penny that EJ Manuel will have a more successful career than Geno.

LOL, did you really just reference a Yahoo! Sports article while trying to support your opinion on a player who hasn't even played a game yet? Well played, sir..

And why isn't Yahoo Sports a good source? I don't like Jason Cole all that much either, but he does have sources. He didn't just make up those quotes, those came from someone in the NFL

I can`t help but think that the Jets have drafted themselves a problem. This guy would appear to be stinking up the league with his attitude! Looks like the Jets may stink up the AFC East for a little while longer :lol: http://tracking.si.com/2013/05/01/geno-smith-post-draft-criticism/

lol thats pretty funny.

How exactly did the Jets screw up? They drafted a projected top 10 pick at number 39. You do understand that right? If he's a bust he's a bust. The Jets took him in the 2nd round, they can live with it if he doesn't work out. They got great value for the pick and that really can't be disputed.

In addition to his "im taking my ball and going home" routine at the draft, How about how he let his team basically fall apart midseason? He really didn't seem like he had the moxie to will his team to victory like a guy like Tebow did in college. And even the almighty Tebow was chewed up and spit out by the NYJ machine.

I just don't see a scenario where this will end well for Geno in NY. He has too high opinion of himself, and that will come crashing down to earth with explosive results if he struggles early on.

There are also countless reports that Geno did not perform well in meeting with teams. Some reports said that he didn't seem interested and was fiddling with his phone while other players were trying to learn from the coaches in the meetings. Not a good sign.

It would be weird if during the Pre-draft process one of these drafts, unsubstantiated rumors about a player didn't surface. It always happens, and most of the time has no bearing on that players career in the NFL. Nowadays the media is there to make news, not report it.

Im just saying, it's ridiculous to say how anybody screwed up the draft by taking a player who has yet to participate in an NFL practice, let alone a game. I understand all you Jets haters want to pile on, at this point, but you really have no idea if he's going to succeed or not.

And why isn't Yahoo Sports a good source? I don't like Jason Cole all that much either, but he does have sources. He didn't just make up those quotes, those came from someone in the NFL

I don't have much respect for Yahoo, and I'm not sure who does. But in reference to the actual article, the draft is about potential. Not sure about you, but when I was 21-22 years old, I was slightly immature too. You always hope players learn and mature, and I'm sure Geno is no different.

The only thing I can actually respond and react to is the interviews that I personally saw with the kid, for example the Gruden interview. And from what I can tell, the kid seems like a good one. As far as these anonymous "league executives"? Who cares, they could be anyone..

Back
Top Bottom