Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player? | Page 24 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Have the Dolphin once again traded back and missed getting a special player?

And yet Kyle Pitts has 4 whole games where he broke 100 yards in his entire collegiate career.

Does that scream consistency to you? Was he just being covered by unicorn defenders in college, I guess?

You seriously need to do a little more research before positing. Kyle played 3 games in his true freshman season as an 18 year old (probably to protect his red shirt). Started to break into the team in 2019 and UF lost Franks to injury, Trask took over and was mediocre at best as Mullen needed time to work his magic on him. 2020 comes along and Mullen has gotten Trask to a servicable level and also had a chance to understand what he has in Pitts. So in 7.5 games (he left the Georgia game before half time because a chicken **** dawg targeted him, he went for 770 yards and 12 TDs. I will take this kind of consistency any day of the week:

1617986442137.png

You seriously need to do a little more research before positing. Kyle played 3 games in his true freshman season as an 18 year old (probably to protect his red shirt). Started to break into the team in 2019 and UF lost Franks to injury, Trask took over and was mediocre at best as Mullen needed time to work his magic on him. 2020 comes along and Mullen has gotten Trask to a servicable level and also had a chance to understand what he has in Pitts. So in 7.5 games (he left the Georgia game before half time because a chicken **** dawg targeted him, he went for 770 yards and 12 TDs. I will take this kind of consistency any day of the week:

View attachment 73694
I think the biggest mistake you're making is assuming that I'm just looking at box scores instead of watching just about every game he played on Saturdays with my gigantic Gator homer friend.

You also decided to just throw out his entire 2019 season because, oh look, another Gator fan blaming Trask. Convenient.

I suppose Trask being unable to use the absolutely uncoverable, athletic phenom really will force Mac Jones up to #3 because he actually knew how to use Devonta Smith.

If he was so athletic that he was uncoverable, then what kind of excuses are you going to make for his lack of real production in college? Nobody has ever given me a legitimate answer other than blaming Trask for not throwing to him enough.
Lack of production in college? As a freshman he played 3 games. As a sophomore he had 649 yards and 5 Tds. Not great but decent year for a sophomore. Last year with only 8 game he had 770 yards 12 TD and averaged 17.9 yards per play. Can you tell me that is not a good year? If you add another 5 games for a normal season those numbers would be almost doubled.

I guess he can't be great in the NFL because he he did not have a great season as a freshman and a sophomore in college.

Take off the hate glasses!!!!

Lack of production in college? As a freshman he played 3 games. As a sophomore he had 649 yards and 5 Tds. Not great but decent year for a sophomore. Last year with only 8 game he had 770 yards 12 TD and averaged 17.9 yards per play. Can you tell me that is not a good year? If you add another 5 games for a normal season those numbers would be almost doubled.

I guess he can't be great in the NFL because he he did not have a great season as a freshman and a sophomore in college.

Take off the hate glasses!!!!
If that is good production, what is Devonta Smith's production considered?

I'll bet it's your natural instinct to assume that Smith's production would go down in the NFL and Pitts's would go up due to whatever make believe reasons people can come up with.

Is that good production for Pitts? Sure.

Is it a level that is synonymous to "uncoverable, athletic freak who demands a unicorn defender to be able to stop him"? You tell me.

I'll add this...

Pitts is two years younger than Smith, as well.

As dominant as he was in only 8 games, can you imagine what he'd do at 22 years old and in a full season.

I'll add this...

Pitts is two years younger than Smith, as well.

As dominant as he was in only 8 games, can you imagine what he'd do at 22 years old and in a full season.
Short and sweet. Very well said.

I think that one of the classic mistakes made in evaluations is in overvaluing polish.

Older players have had longer to develop, both physically and mentally. If I've got two players ranked in the same tier, I am going to take the younger player, just like I am going to take the faster/bigger player.

The younger player has a greater chance of seeing large improvements in his game.

I think the biggest mistake you're making is assuming that I'm just looking at box scores instead of watching just about every game he played on Saturdays with my gigantic Gator homer friend.

You also decided to just throw out his entire 2019 season because, oh look, another Gator fan blaming Trask. Convenient.

I suppose Trask being unable to use the absolutely uncoverable, athletic phenom really will force Mac Jones up to #3 because he actually knew how to use Devonta Smith.

He was basically a freshman in 2019 who had a QB change, and guess what he did ok in 2019 anyway. But with College kids especially you are looking for growth year on year and their latest work should carry the most weight. Kyle Pitt's latest work is outstanding, if you think otherwise, you are a lunatic !

He was basically a freshman in 2019 who had a QB change, and guess what he did ok in 2019 anyway. But with College kids especially you are looking for growth year on year and their latest work should carry the most weight. Kyle Pitt's latest work is outstanding, if you think otherwise, you are a lunatic !
I agree with you and I'd be fine taking Pitts at 6. I just would rather end up with one of Smith/Chase instead and I don't like the avalanche of superlatives coming Pitts's way when he hasn't played a game recently to have deserved the increased hype. It all just seems so fake to me in the same way the Sewell hype earlier in the offseason irked me.

He's good, but we'll live if he's not there at 6.

If that is good production, what is Devonta Smith's production considered?

I'll bet it's your natural instinct to assume that Smith's production would go down in the NFL and Pitts's would go up due to whatever make believe reasons people can come up with.

Is that good production for Pitts? Sure.

Is it a level that is synonymous to "uncoverable, athletic freak who demands a unicorn defender to be able to stop him"? You tell me.
Devonta Smiths production was great. Better than great. My only hang up with Smith is like everyone else's, his size.

I do not believe that Smith's production will go down while he is playing. I believe that he can be just as good in the NFL. I do believe that his production will go down when he is hurt on the sideline because his body may not be able to handle the NFL. I do believe that Pitts will be great in the NFL and in Miami. He will make a very different match up for linebackers with himself and Mike Gesicki on the field at the same time with Fuller stretching the field. We play 12 personel alot with 2 TE's and 1 RB.

Devonta Smiths production was great. Better than great. My only hang up with Smith is like everyone else's, his size.

I do not believe that Smith's production will go down while he is playing. I believe that he can be just as good in the NFL. I do believe that his production will go down when he is hurt on the sideline because his body may not be able to handle the NFL. I do believe that Pitts will be great in the NFL and in Miami. He will make a very different match up for linebackers with himself and Mike Gesicki on the field at the same time with Fuller stretching the field. We play 12 personel alot with 2 TE's and 1 RB.
I just disagree on the injury front. Bigger players don't have stronger ACLs. If anything they're more stressed by carrying around the increased mass while handling all the momentum shifts.

If big equaled healthy, no offensive lineman would ever get hurt.

I agree with you and I'd be fine taking Pitts at 6. I just would rather end up with one of Smith/Chase instead and I don't like the avalanche of superlatives coming Pitts's way when he hasn't played a game recently to have deserved the increased hype. It all just seems so fake to me in the same way the Sewell hype earlier in the offseason irked me.

He's good, but we'll live if he's not there at 6.

Oh the hype is absolutely out of control I agree, and I too am ok with Chase or Smith, my preference though is Pitts because he is so unique and you can get a more traditional WR in the later rounds that may prove a bargain, like Dyami Brown or D'wayne Eskridge, finding another Kyle Pitts in this or any future draft will be next to impossible.

Oh the hype is absolutely out of control I agree, and I too am ok with Chase or Smith, my preference though is Pitts because he is so unique and you can get a more traditional WR in the later rounds that may prove a bargain, like Dyami Brown or D'wayne Eskridge, finding another Kyle Pitts in this or any future draft will be next to impossible.
I agree that I am also ok with Chase and I prefer Waddle or Smith bit my preference is Pitts because of the mismatch it will bring. I feel that our offense will be harder to defend with adding Pitts. Maybe I'm wrong but that is how I feel.

I think that one of the classic mistakes made in evaluations is in overvaluing polish.

Older players have had longer to develop, both physically and mentally. If I've got two players ranked in the same tier, I am going to take the younger player, just like I am going to take the faster/bigger player.

The younger player has a greater chance of seeing large improvements in his game.
Out of interest, what if the older player is faster and stronger? Who do you take then?

Out of interest, what if the older player is faster and stronger? Who do you take then?
Then I'd probably go with the older player, but it would depend on the position. I wouldn't do it at Running Back because their careers are so short to begin with.

And as always... how much faster? How much stronger? How much older?

A few months one way or the other? Meaningless... as to a few pounds or a couple of tenths of seconds on a 40 run in shorts.

In general... I think the guys who get overly caught up in work out times and measurements... are pinheads. Yes, they matter, but not as much as some of the draftnics make them out to be. Some of the best players in NFL history didn't test well. Testing... size... both are just part of the equation.

When I say that I'm leaning against a prospect because of... X or Y... It's just a lean, the only real reasons that I reject a player are for a bad injury history... or serious violence/drug issues.

Back
Top Bottom