Head Coach Tracker | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Head Coach Tracker

UPDATED as of Jan 9th 11:00 AM

So let's keep count. We _think_ it is:

Team......……… Coach
Green Bay........ Matt LaFleur (Confirmed)
Tampa Bay....... Bruce Arians (Confirmed, with Todd Bowles rumored DC)
Arizona......……. Kliff Kingsbury (Confirmed)
Cleveland......… Kevin Stefanski (Confirmed)
Denver....……… Vic Fangio (Confirmed)
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

Zero NFC vacancies and three AFC vacancies

Team......……… Coach
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

I read Bowles is considering the DC job in Chicago.

I

Team......……… Coach
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

I can see the narrative being no one wants to go to Miami if Cincinnati and the jets hire coaches before Miami

I

I can see the narrative being no one wants to go to Miami if Cincinnati and the jets hire coaches before Miami

Who cares. I'm confident Coach Richard would have the last laugh...

giphy.gif

Team......……… Coach
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

Looks like its Freddie Kitchens for the Browns.

Team......……… Coach
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

I actually believed that some of these teams would be targeting our candidates

[NO POLITICS OUTSIDE THE POFO]

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually believed that some of these teams would be targeting our candidates

We have actually gone looking in a very unconventional place for this specific hiring cycle. Right now, there is a strong belief in the NFL that the guys to target for these jobs are offensive playcallers. They are considered to be the absolute, must-get coaching hires.

The reasoning is that because these guys are in such high demand, it sort of creates a vortex of demand in which teams are actively looking to promote offensive playcallers to the head coaching position before they are ready simply because they don't want to lose these guys when they are ready. The Rams said as much with the McVay hire, and that has set off McVay Fever in the NFL.

Matt LaFleur - serious concerns about whether or not he is ready to lead a pro football team, but he's an up and coming, young offensive coordinator who looks the part, so he got the job. I've actually heard that there are c

Bruce Arians - veteran coach, very good coach, but also an offensive playcaller.

Kliff Kingsbury - got fired from Texas Tech, his alma mater, with a losing record (and don't feed me the BS that it's impossible to win at Tech... Mike Leach went 84-43 and finished in the top 25 in 5 of his last 6 seasons there) and immediately got a job as an NFL head coach. Offensive playcaller.

Freddie Kitchens - rose out of nowhere to become the new Browns head coach because they love the way he calls the game for Baker Mayfield, and they are all in on Baker Mayfield (as they should be).

Vic Fangio - This is an interesting situation because Denver has an offensive playcaller who specifically does not want to be a head coach again. So they're freaking set and went out and grabbed a defensive playcaller. In my opinion, this was a very smart hire by John Elway.

Cincinnati - brought in Zac Taylor for an interview. Zac Taylor is completely unqualified to be an NFL head coach, but he's worked with Sean McVay and he has playcalling experience. don't know if he's getting serious consideration for the job, but that's an eye opener.

New York - Mike McCarthy (offensive playcaller), Adam Gase (offensive playcaller) are currently the front runners for the job.

Miami - We are looking at defensive coaches. Eric Bienemy got an interview but apparently interest there is not serious (and I don't think Ross would sign off after looking at his background).

So no, Miami absolutely is not targeting the same candidates as other NFL teams. Every other team is turning over stones looking for the next great offensive playcalling head coach, and Miami is looking at young defensive coaches.

UPDATED as of Jan 9th 2:30 PM

Team......……… Coach
Cleveland......… Freddie Kitchens (Confirmed, although word was that Kevin Stefanski was confirmed earlier today, so watch this space)
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

Reactions: A1.
UPDATED as of Jan 9th 2:30 PM

Team......……… Coach
Cleveland......… Freddie Kitchens (Confirmed, although word was that Kevin Stefanski was confirmed earlier today, so watch this space)
Cincinnati:
New York:
Miami:

Not sure where the stefanski hold up is... I've seen kitchens everywhere

I'm on record as not really liking the potential candidates out there today. I said that before we fired Gase, and I stick to it today. Of the guys with jobs and whom we've hired, I don't really care for many of them honestly. My top two picks were Bruce Arians who took the Tampa Bay job, and Vic Fangio who took the Denver Broncos job.

We didn't interview some other really good DC's like Eberflus with the Colts, who has really maximized that team's talent; and Wink Martindale with the Ravens, who has taken a talented Ravens defense and really had them playing at the top of their game. I would prefer a bright young OC, and yes, I am looking for the next Sean McVay. But, good defensive coaches can sometimes produce good offenses too, and offenses tend to be the dominant teams these days. My best example is Bill Belichick, and the candidate who most resembled him among these candidates was Vic Fangio. Sure, there are others with booming commanding voices and take charge attitudes who may do a great job. There are some that are great teachers, which we need. But just because someone is old and less charming, doesn't mean they can't be good too. IMHO, we lost out by not interviewing Vic Fangio, even if he never would have considered us, because his take on our roster is a valuable piece of information.

Fail for Fromm in full force.

Back
Top Bottom