How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild?

McKenzie's last draft in Oakland before Gruden took over, he selected a CB, Obi Melifonwu with a second round pick who was so bad they cut him a year later. Outside of his top 3 picks in 2014: Mack, Carr and Grady Jackson and Amari Cooper the next year, his drafts were amongst the very worst in the league, many of his high picks are out of the NFL just a few years after being drafted. One of my favorite McKenzie specials, Sio Moore, 3d rd LB that played on 5 teams in 4 years, there were so many awful draft picks Raiders fans took glee in mocking them.

Grier is simply saying that he isn't going to pick a player that the coach straight up doesn't like. But Grier is making the selection and having final say over who's name is on the card when Miami's turns it in out of all the prospects everybody likes. Which is why Miami misses when it comes to picking this player over that player at the moment of truth.

Until they get somebody in there can do it better than me, I question the direction the entire thing is headed. It's not even that hard to do.
Collaborating is nice but I would prefer he did it without everyone's approval. I trust Flores more than Gase or Philbin but Grier needs to make the call on his own. He should have a idea what they want before draft night. Also, if the draft bombs, there is no ambiguity on who F-ed up

I don’t know how anyone can say Grier has done a good job drafting. And free agency has been nothing short of horrific.

It’s like an extension of Tannenbaum

Seriously? Just look at his first and seconds the past 4 years, very impressive.

1. 2016, ends up being a top CB in the league, and 2020 first, a 2021 first, a 2021 second.
2. 2017, 2 busts essentially, no big deal, lets just borrow one of those first and seconds from 2016, and you still end up with a 2020 first and X for 2016 (not bad at all).
3. 2018, a 2020 first (will be a high pick) and the most physically gifted pass catching TE in the NFL. Everyone says Goedert is so much better despite being physically inferior, and the overrrated TE dropped a SUPER EASY TD pass last week which f***** the overrated Iggles lmao.
4. 2109, Wilkins (tbd), a talented young QB in Rosen and a 2020 second.

To recap, we acquired 3 firsts, 2 seconds, X, Harris, McMillan, Gesicki, Wilkins, and Rosen, when we started off with 4 firsts and 4 seconds with none of them being in the top 10.

Those are fantastic results, pretend X is a first and you essentially have a %100 hit rate on average over those past 4 years which is tremendous.

Then you're getting half of your seconds back, and only using 2 seconds on Harris, McMillian, Gesicki, Wilkins and Rosen, yea I can live with that.

Grier is doing a fantastic job and is the most valuable person in the entire organization.

Last edited:
Seriously? Just look at his first and seconds the past 4 years, very impressive.

1. 2016, ends up being a top CB in the league, and 2020 first, a 2021 first, a 2021 second.
2. 2017, 2 busts essentially, no big deal, lets just borrow one of those first and seconds from 2016, and yet you still end up with a 2020 first and X for 2016 (not bad).
3. 2018, a 2020 first (will be a high pick) and the most physically gifted pass catching TE in the NFL. Everyone says Goedert is so much better despite being physically inferior, and the overrrated TE dropped a SUPER EASY TD pass last week which f***** the overrated Iggles lmao.

To recap, we acquired 3 firsts, 2 seconds, X, Harris, McMillan, Gesicki, Wilkins, and Rosen, when we started off with 4 firsts and 4 seconds with none of them being in the top 10.

Those are fantastic results, pretend X is a first and you have a %100 hit rate on average over those past 4 years which is tremendous.

Then you're getting half of your seconds back, and only using 2 seconds on Harris, McMillian, Gesicki, Wilkins and Rosen, yea I can live with that.

Grier is doing a fantastic job and is the most valuable person in the entire organization.

LMFAO are you seriously trying to insinuate that Harris, McMillan, and Gesicki are some kind of net positives? Harris is a bust, McMillan is jag, and Gesicki hasn't even scored an TD yet going on his 2nd year.

I mean maybe it's too early to close the book on all of them but they certainly aren't anything to boast about.

2. 2017, 2 busts essentially, no big deal, lets just borrow one of those first and seconds from 2016, and you still end up with a 2020 first and X for 2016 (not bad at all).

Those are fantastic results, pretend X is a first and you have a %100 hit rate on average over those past 4 years which is tremendous.

Gesicki was rated the 66th best TE last year out of 70 graded by PFF. Goedert and Mark Andrews were drafted behind him! Harris had a PFF grade of 54 last year, which is horrendous. Cam Wake's worst year as a pro he graded out at 81! Wilkins has shown nothing yet, 3 games in he flashes none of the traits of an elite player or even an average player, after the 3 weeks PFF has him graded as the 94th best DT of 116 graded.

Rosen has already been rendered superfluous by those who favor this tank for the purposes of grabbing Tua, so if that was Grier's plan he wasted a second-round pick on the guy.

Those are fantastic results, pretend X is a first and you essentially have a %100 hit rate on average over those past 4 years which is tremendous.

And yet we have the least talented team in the nfl by a large margin

I mean we've never had this much draft capital before so that's definitely new but it always come down to the same thing.......the reason we've been irrelevant for 20 years is because we have drafted poorly. We couldn't build an oline worth a damn and we had an exceptionally few amount of elite players, not to mention bad coaches....that's pretty much it. And it comes down to the same thing this year.....we draft poorly we will continue to stink....if we somehow become adept at drafting our fortunes will change
D
Unprecedented draft haul? The best rapid fire reconstruction in NFL history? I thought leaded gasoline was banned years ago? The freaking Jets had 6 first-round picks in 3-years 2000-02. The Browns had 13 first-round picks and 16 second round picks between 2012-18, Grier's draft haul isn't even the best haul this decade, by a country mile.

I will concede Grier's prowess in the field of roster demolition, it is certainly unprecedented, since no one until him has been stupid enough to try it. Bravo.

But for the life of me I can't understand why I keep seeing Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie named as if they're held in high esteem as executives. I think Grier's apologists realize it's impossible to massage his record of ineptitude, so it's better to assure the fans he's got more competent advisors guiding him. He doesn't.

McKenzie's record in Oakland is quite infamous for the almost comical ineptitude of his drafts. I actually listed his picks in another thread to prove how bad he was to people who thought he was good because he selected Khalil Mack and Cooper with top 4 draft picks.

Marvin Allen's experience has only exceeded that of a scout once in his career. The 4 years he worked as director of college scouting for the Chiefs, a position of some importance, unless we're talking about Chris Grier who held the position here for 10 years, but is apparently blameless for the decades of poor drafting in Miami.

Allen of course worked under Andy Reid, John Dorsey and Chris Ballard, whose front office accolades are many, so while I credit Allen for at least learning in a successful front office, he's not a proven commodity, you speak his name like he's been an Ozzie Newsome protege for decades like Joe Douglas, Milt Hendrickson or Eric DeCosta. Groomed to run a front office for years. Allen got the job because he was worked with Grier when they were area scouts for the Pats in the 90s. The Dolphins f/o isn't playing 5-dimension chess here and Grier hasn't surrounded himself with Bobby Fischers.
You're obviously not a Dolphins fan. What team do you like? You are here trolling for the Jets?

Whiners, complainers and those that don't support our team, coach and management are being purged, also in this COMPLETE rebuild. A lot of you sound like you want Us to fail. Go cheer for the Pats. You obviously can't handle this rebuild.

D
You're obviously not a Dolphins fan. What team do you like? You are here trolling for the Jets?

My family had Dolphins' season tickets from 1979 to 1999 how bout yours? Don't question my fandom because I call a spade a spade. I see the same names on here year after year giving an amen to whatever this organization does and it hasn't done anything since the mid-80s.

How do you know they were HIS drafts before 2018?

Grier in his first year as the full time GM( Anyone with glasses can see he wasn't that with Tannebauhm here) and his brilliant off-season and comps , imo, has earn the right to run the draft in 2020.

Being comfortable has nothing to do with it. He's earn the right and all you can do is hope his picks are the right picks for this team. If they aren't then in 2021 draft Ross will have the opportunity to entrust that process to someone else.

Simple really..

The hope here is that we get a big boost from Marvin Allen with the draft and hopefully Reggie McKenzie with free agency. Also, hopefully the coaching staff has a much better feel for the players who can be effective.

One scary area continues to be the offensive line and TE. There's no evidence that folks in the building have any idea how to identify those positions unless it's high in the draft. The hope here is that Allen can do it because the Grier, Engroff et al guys have bombed on this. The data is clear in that respect. Dave Degugs may not help much with identifying o-linemen. He's often quickly fired. He may grate on people, but if he were really good, he could keep a job. People will tolerate alot if you're really good. If you're not great and a pain, buh-bye. Degugs is decidedly in that category.

Grier in his first year as the full time GM( Anyone with glasses can see he wasn't that with Tannebauhm here) and his brilliant off-season and comps , imo, has earn the right to run the draft in 2020.

Being comfortable has nothing to do with it. He's earn the right and all you can do is hope his picks are the right picks for this team. If they aren't then in 2021 draft Ross will have the opportunity to entrust that process to someone else.

Simple really..

He’s been gm since 2016 with self admittedly final say in all draft picks and all he has to show for it is one of the worst teams the nfl has ever seen. You’re trying way too hard to avoid acknowledging what’s right in front of your nose. Way too hard.

lmao naw this gotta be Grier's brother or something...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom