Huizenga has ruined this organization | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Huizenga has ruined this organization

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

The only year the Ravens missed the playoffs was 2002.

My Baltimore stat was incorrect ... they did indeed make the playoffs this year. Der! :goof:

However, all the other instances were valid:

Under Mike Holmgren, the Seahawks didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (2000: 6-10; 2001: 9-7; 2002: 7-9)

Under Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs for two straight seasons (2001: 6-10; 2002, a year in which they had five Pro-Bowlers: 8-8)

Under Bill Cowher, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (1998:7-9; 1999: 6-10; 2000: 9-7)

Let's go back a little further:

Under Jeff Fisher, the Oilers/Titans didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (1996, 1997, 1998: all 8-8 seasons)

Point being that good coaches have consecutive seasons without going to the playoffs. It's not a fireable offense.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

My Baltimore stat was incorrect ... they did indeed make the playoffs this year. Der! :goof:

However, all the other instances were valid:

Under Mike Holmgren, the Seahawks didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (2000: 6-10; 2001: 9-7; 2002: 7-9)

Under Dick Vermeil, the Chiefs didn't make the playoffs for two straight seasons (2001: 6-10; 2002, a year in which they had five Pro-Bowlers: 8-8)

Under Bill Cowher, the Steelers didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (1998:7-9; 1999: 6-10; 2000: 9-7)

Let's go back a little further:

Under Jeff Fisher, the Oilers/Titans didn't make the playoffs for three straight seasons (1996, 1997, 1998: all 8-8 seasons)

Point being that good coaches have consecutive seasons without going to the playoffs. It's not a fireable offense.

Holmgrem had to build the program in Seattle. Vermeil also is building KC. KC was awful a few years ago. Wanny came into a program that was already winning 9 games on average a year. So he really hasn't done much improving, if any at all. That is the whole point here. And Huizenga is struggling with some choices he is making.

KC was awful LAST year.

Holmgren has struggled more often than not in Seattle, and his team was eliminated in the first round this year.

And anyway, the point I was making was to refute the following statement you made: "We haven't made the playoffs the last 2 seasons... not many teams with good coaching have pulled off that feat."

Well, that's just not true, and in the instances I've quoted above, no major retooling was done as a knee-jerk reaction to two (or more) seasons of being shut out of the playoffs.

KC was awful LAST year.

Holmgren has struggled more often than not in Seattle, and his team was eliminated in the first round this year.

And anyway, the point I was making was to refute the following statement you made: "We haven't made the playoffs the last 2 seasons... not many teams with good coaching have pulled off that feat."

Well, that's just not true, and in the instances I've quoted above, no major retooling was done as a knee-jerk reaction to two (or more) seasons of being shut out of the playoffs.

It's true. How many of those coaches haven't made the playoffs 2 years in a row? Hardly any. KC and Seattle both made it this year. Cowher is the only one I can think of that has struggled lately, but they don't have near the defense Miami has and they don't have near the running game, and their QB (maddux) has been questionable. Most good coaches have not struggled to two straight none playoff seasons. I mean, Cincy even almost made the playoffs with a great coach. And look where Dallas came from with good coaching.

Originally posted by phinfan34

It's true. How many of those coaches haven't made the playoffs 2 years in a row?

All of them, in the years I pointed out!

Why weren't Holmgren and Vermeil fired after last year? Why does Cowher still have a job? By your rationale, they should ALL have been out of work by now.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
How exactly has Dave not done anything as the coach of the Dolphins when the defense has gone to another level under him? Miami has averaged 10 wins a season over the past four years and is tied for 3rd in the NFL in victories over that period of time. This is all with an offense that Dave the GM could never get up to snuff.

How many teams in the NFL fire coaches for winning 10 games a season?

I guess those of you who wanted him gone really were impressed with the Jim Mora's and Lovie Smith's of the league, two defensive coordinators who have never fielded a top 10 defense in any category.

Save the stats, but how did they go to another "level" without making the playoffs for 2 years?

Why weren't Holmgren and Vermeil fired after last year? Why does Cowher still have a job? By your rationale, they should ALL have been out of work by now.

Wanny has had 4 years. Compare any of them to Wanny's 4 years.... I'm sure they will have more than one playoff win.

You have to consider talent. The Dolphins of the past two years were way more talented than any of the teams you mentioned.

Is the talent gulf that wide?

Kansas City has just as much talent as we do, although it has been weighted on the offensive side of the ball.

Seattle isn't that far behind us, with one of the more talented quarterbacks and running backs, as well as a competent defense.

Likewise, you can't say Pittsburgh isn't at all talented.

Is the talent gulf that wide?

Kansas City has just as much talent as we do, although it has been weighted on the offensive side of the ball.

Seattle isn't that far behind us, with one of the more talented quarterbacks and running backs, as well as a competent defense.

Likewise, you can't say Pittsburgh isn't at all talented.

People see what they want to see around here and they can't help but to believe that the 'Fins are the most talented team in the league since most are simply that myopic. People (especially those around here) also need a scapegoat in order for them to feel better about the negative things that happen to them and the things/people they care about. Unfortunately, people (again, especially those around here) seem to have a hard time spreading blame around to more than one entity as they simply cannot grasp the fact that there exists a multitude of mitigating factors that contribute to any one negative circumstance.

In this case we're talking about a team game, with team problems, and team mistakes that lead to a total team failure to achieve their expressed goal of a Super Bowl victory. I'm not quite sure but, last I checked it wasn't Dave Wannstedt who allowed the Patsies to go long in OT to win that game; it wasn't Wanny who missed several FG's during the early part of the season; it wasn't Wanny who fumbled every time he was sacked. I could go on but why bother; making sound arguments around here is about as effective as pissing into the wind (unless of course you're trying to piss yourself, then both are very effective propositions.)

Originally posted by Cranx

... it wasn't Wanny who missed several FG's during the early part of the season ...

I know what you mean: when Vinatieri missed his second field goal under 40 yards during the Super Bowl, I thought to myself: "Wow, what a lousy coach Belichick is! I mean, he should know Vinatieri struggles indoors. Didn't he order him to practice enough?"

I know what you mean: when Vinatieri missed his second field goal under 40 yards during the Super Bowl, I thought to myself: "Wow, what a lousy coach Belichick is! I mean, he should know Vinatieri struggles indoors. Didn't he order him to practice enough?"

Yup, and when Brady threw that INT in the endzone I began wondering how in the heck they let such a loser coach a Super Bowl team; Belichick should have been there to guide that ball away from the defender. What a total loser that guy is huh?

Originally posted by KYPhinFan
I do find it a little funny that a lot of you calling for Wannstedt's head after yet another collapse are now defending him and saying that all of us who don't like or aren't sold on Wanny are idiots.

Wannstedt has coached this team to a very good record in his first 4 years. There's no denying that. He makes moves that are questionable at best, such as knowing that our offense needed a lot help last off season and upgrading the defense. Had we done something about our offense last off season, we may very well have been the Super Bowl champs, or we may have still been 10-6.

The argument here isn't for or against Wannstedt... it's for or against Huizenga. I think Huizenga's only questionable move as owner was bringing in Wannstedt to be the head coach. Other than that I think that he has done an exemplary job in leading the Phins franchise. And while I still doubt the depth of Wannstedt's coaching abilities, he is not the person out of there overthrowing balls, dropping balls, missing tackles, and giving up... if you want to know who's responsible for what you consider ruin in Miami, look no further than the roster.

I'll be dipped in ****! Someone finally answered the question. Our "ruination" of 11-5, 11-5, 9-7, and 10-6 can be laid squarely at the feet of our oft injured Ol and an inaccurarte JF.

This team could not over come both. 2002. the line produced.. which provided some compensation for Jays inaccuracy.

And don't forget Zacks, unwillingness to restructure hurt the team a lot. He didn't come around until it was to late get OL help.

Back
Top Bottom