hypothetical number 1 pick | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hypothetical number 1 pick

Rosen out performed Fitzpatrick on the field during preseason. It gave us a glimpse of what he can do. He looks improved from his days in Arizona. While I don't know how this is going to end up, Rosen has shown a lot of talent in his limited time in Miami. If he continues to improve a case could be made to trade off the #1 overall pick in 2020, if Miami has it. The one factor in all of this is Tua and his decision to come out. If he Doesn't Declare and remains in School, I say the odds are Miami trades out of the #1 spot. If he declares, well I think we all know what happens next. It won't matter what Rosen has done to that point. They just may trade Rosen instead.

This is my homer brain in overdrive. I'm praying, praying that rosen shows enough this season that we don't have to draft a qb next year. And we get the number 1 pick. We could then sell it to any qb starved team that would give us a massive haul. We could have more high picks in the next 3 years than any team in history of draft.
The front office has almost given Rosen no chance to succeed this year. Unless a running game emerges, it's hard to see any quarterback having much success behind this offensive line. But, I agree with you that would be a great scenario. My gut is that Tua is the target and Miami is doing everything in its power to position the team to get him.

I'm just curious. I think Rosen class will go down as one of top for qbs. Not top but up there. So grier taking a 2nd round flier to take a stab at a potential qb seemed obvious to me. But for those really down on Rosen and pass on that trade. What would you have wanted on offense?
I would have wanted that pick to go towards a lineman, preferably offensive line. I don't like Rosen so to me it was basically us setting fire to our pick for no real reason. Yeah, we could get lucky and last year could be a fluke, but he holds on to the ball too long and never even won in college. Those two things have continued for him.

Or they’re sitting him to develop him before putting him out there. With such emphasis this offseason on stockpiling future picks, I can’t imagine them wasting a 2nd rounder on a QB they didn’t have plans for
Who's to say they needed long term plans? They took a stab at seeing if Rosen was better than he showed last season in Arizona and they might have come to at least the beginning of the conclusion that he might not be.

Even if you sit him to develop him, you still aren't going to know whether he's the guy at the end of the season and you're still going to take Tua #1 overall if you have it just because of that unknown. Best case scenario Tua is legit and Rosen eventually turns out to be really good and you trade Rosen for more than you gave up. Worst case scenario is that he probably ends up being our backup, but the question is if he's fine with that. A 2nd round pick for a good, long term backup is still worth it.

If he can start on Arizona's OL, he can start on ours.

…. and then what? What is your vision with Rosen because it looks like the staff is coaching him to better understand defenses while tweaking his game … why toss him out there and squander a 2nd round pick when you can groom him to be ready when the team is better suited to help him?

It's funny to me.... some posters scream TANK for TUA!!!! ... then get pissed when Fitz is the starter? .... seems like "talking out of both sides of your mouth"

I wonder why "fans" can't take the season for what it's worth to them and WAIT to see how the college players do for the season … I mean does Tua actually have a good record against REAL competition? … I've seen his stats posted in that regard … not that impressive ...

I would rather have a QB that knows the game and plays his a$$ off to help his team win (winning is key) than a guy that plays behind the best recruits in the country with key players at RB and WR …
The game gets faster at the NFL level and teams aren't exactly stacked

Does Tua put the team on his back and WIN?
Can he read defenses?
How athletic is he?
What does he do when things break down?
Are fans just enamored with him because Alabama always wins?

What QB "intangibles" does Tua have that says he is the best choice? I don't follow college ball close enough to know this so can someone enlighten me? I want a genuine play maker not a robo-QB
Maybe @ckparrothead , @hoops , @j-off-her-doll can shed some light for me
Of course anyone can reply with knowledge rather than emotion

If Rosen somehow turns out to be the guy, Jerry Jeudy is the pick. If Rosen isn’t the guy, it’s Tua (whom I don’t like the best out of the draft, Alabama QBs always scare me because of the lack of production against top Ds.)

Last edited:
I would have wanted that pick to go towards a lineman, preferably offensive line. I don't like Rosen so to me it was basically us setting fire to our pick for no real reason. Yeah, we could get lucky and last year could be a fluke, but he holds on to the ball too long and never even won in college. Those two things have continued for him.
But who under center if not him. I wasn't a fan of the fitz signing even before Rosen was a thought. Before his trade I was all on board for all trench selections in the draft. I've also always supported keep taking qbs until you hit. I can't fault grier for trying on Rosen. Especially during a rebuild year. No qb competition leads to years of Tanneyhill.

To answer OP, my guess would be if the Fins have first overall pick they trade down and pick up another second and/or third. Then expect a draft of a lot of defensive type players in the mold of Wilkins and Minkah (smart, versatile, athletic). Come second and third round stock up on fat boys to block.

Throw in a few FA WR signings and then we see what Rosen can do with a really good D and more stable O.

If that doesn't work out 2021 comes and they pick a QB 1st round. They'll be plenty of supporting talent at that point.

Well then we're on borrowed time cause we have sucked for way more than 10
not so fast. the dolphins were mediocre at best. brownshitty sucking is having top 5 draft pick every single year for 10 years. that shitty.

If the Dolphins get #1 overall and the Cardinals are as bad as expected and they don't fire Keim, you have to give him a call immediately and see if he's willing to trade his 2020 draft + 2021 first for #1.

But who under center if not him. I wasn't a fan of the fitz signing even before Rosen was a thought. Before his trade I was all on board for all trench selections in the draft. I've also always supported keep taking qbs until you hit. I can't fault grier for trying on Rosen. Especially during a rebuild year. No qb competition leads to years of Tanneyhill.
Knowing Tua was a probable option in 2020 I would have legitimately started someone like Rudock. Granted you can't sell the fans that he's an option so I don't know what I would have done as to not create a riot... maybe trade for a Rosen, but I would have sacrificed 2019 regardless just because my plan was to start over and amass young talent and then pick up the potential transcendent QB the following season.

TBH, even the Dolphins don't know at this time who they would take if we had the top pick. A lot can change in a college season when players go up and down the boards all the time. Then you got the NFL and things can change for them too. Then you'd get many offers for that pick. They could get an offer they can't refused. When Drew Bledsoe came out Parcells and the pats had the top pick. The rams offered him their whole draft for that top pick but Parcells said no. Not sure anyone would say no these days to an offer like that.

Back
Top Bottom