hypothetical number 1 pick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hypothetical number 1 pick

If Rosen somehow turns out to be the guy, Jerry Jeudy is the pick. If Rosen isn’t the guy, it’s Tua (whom I don’t like the best out of the draft, Alabama QBs always scare me because of the lack of production against top Ds.)

How can you have a lack of production when you are playing against the sec every week?

Tua or Herbert book it.

Tua if he comes out Herbert if he doesn’t.

I don't think he(Rosen) was beaten out, the coaches are just doing due diligence on Fitzpatrick.

If Miami takes Justin Herbert I will quit being a fan of this team. He's that average that it will break me.

Herbert’s just unreal physically gifted. Like unreal.

He’s more gifted than josh Allen. Better athlete too.

Gonna murder the postseason eval process with his physical tools.

It’s the kind of thing teams sprint cards up for

If not us cincinatti. Cause we will both be in the same all in qb bucket.

You take the best QB available for your system and coaching staff. End of story.

There will be elite QB's coming out in 2020. Take the best one you can get.

The Dolphins went very far in the playoffs with David Woodley and Don Strock at QB in the 1982 season. So far that they drafted very late in round 1, and even after 5 QB's had been taken, Don Shula had been pounding the table all day for his guy, and as QB after QB flew off the draft board Shula was steadfast and unrelenting in his pursuit of the QB he saw as great. The guy he saw as the best QB in the draft. The guy he wanted all along. And while a swirl of rumors and negativity and attitude questions and focus and other junk rose against him, Don Shula told all the naysayers to go to hell, and kept pounding the table for his guy. Don Shula got his guy, and ESPN and Sports Illustrated and all the talking heads of the time said it was a bad choice and there was no QB guru to help this kid … blah …. blah … blah. But Don Shula knew he had a great one. So, despite doing quite well the year before, Don Shula forced the Miami Dolphins to select Dan Marino.

I'd say it worked out pretty well, even if we didn't win any Super Bowls with him.

When you get a chance to upgrade the QB position to an elite player, you take it. If we get that number one overall pick, it's going to be a QB, guaranteed. We wouldn't have it if Rosen had proven worth building around. If he can't beat out Fitzmagic, he didn't prove it.

If Miami takes Justin Herbert I will quit being a fan of this team. He's that average that it will break me.
I have that fear too. I know they covet his tools, and while he's #3 on my preferred list (1. Fromm, 2. Tua, 3. Herbert), nobody screams bust more than Herbert. Definitely the biggest risk/reward prospect in the 2020 draft.

I honestly have no clue what Grier is doing. Give up a 2nd for Rosen, then get rid of your premier LT? Then stockpile picks, then start Fitzpatrick.

Rosen is not a rookie, and he started as a rookie. Now he is a backup? That will shake his confidence.

If he can start on Arizona's OL, he can start on ours.
I don't think Rosen's confidence is shaken. I think he understands what the plan is for him.

I don't think he(Rosen) was beaten out, the coaches are just doing due diligence on Fitzpatrick.
I agree that Rosen wasn't beaten out, but what kind of due diligence are they doing on Fitzpatrick, and why?

I think Rosen won the competition despite not being fully in control of the offense (mentally) yet, and they are bringing him along slowly (the correct move) so he will have the best chance to succeed once he's in there (while sacrificing Fitz in the process while we figure out the OLine).

I honestly have no clue what Grier is doing. Give up a 2nd for Rosen, then get rid of your premier LT? Then stockpile picks, then start Fitzpatrick.

Rosen is not a rookie, and he started as a rookie. Now he is a backup? That will shake his confidence.

If he can start on Arizona's OL, he can start on ours.

He's said he hasn't mastered the offense yet. He understands why he isn't starting. Not a blow to his confidence. Sometimes the better, younger player sits behind the wily vet.

Especially when the wily vet is going to get scrambled while we figure out the OLine.

Marino got beat out by David Woodley (rest in peace) who wasn't as good as Fitz. It isn't purely about talent and potential.
Not really. Back then the formula was clear, college QB's weren't ready for the NFL and they were supposed to sit for 3 years. Both the #1 overall pick, John Elway, and the late first round pick, Dan Marino played as rookies. Elway was thrown in from the beginning, and he crashed and burned. Horrible fiasco of a rookie year, and even his coach, Dan Reeves, admitted it was a mistake to throw him in so early. Dan Marino came in as a rookie after a few games and took over and dominated. It was about as quick of a transition as any QB was capable of doing back then. At no point was Marino beaten out by David Woodley. Marino was obviously better from day 1, but the kid's head was spinning for a few games as he tried to adjust to the huge step up in complexity of the NFL QB position.

Today the college game is far more sophisticated. QB's and WR's no longer need 3 years to adjust--they're ready right away in many instances. The fact Marino didn't start in game 1 of his rookie season isn't really the same thing as being beaten out. In fact, David Woodley was so depressed by how great Marino was, Woodley never really developed after that. Once his legs ceased to give him a big advantage, he faded away. Dan Marino had the great tools coupled with superior eyesight, superior release, superior reading of defenses, excellent escapability, phenomenal leadership and a burning will to win. Players who played with and against him were in awe, even moreso than the fans who watched him.

Not really. Back then the formula was clear, college QB's weren't ready for the NFL and they were supposed to sit for 3 years. Both the #1 overall pick, John Elway, and the late first round pick, Dan Marino played as rookies. Elway was thrown in from the beginning, and he crashed and burned. Horrible fiasco of a rookie year, and even his coach, Dan Reeves, admitted it was a mistake to throw him in so early. Dan Marino came in as a rookie after a few games and took over and dominated. It was about as quick of a transition as any QB was capable of doing back then. At no point was Marino beaten out by David Woodley. Marino was obviously better from day 1, but the kid's head was spinning for a few games as he tried to adjust to the huge step up in complexity of the NFL QB position.

Today the college game is far more sophisticated. QB's and WR's no longer need 3 years to adjust--they're ready right away in many instances. The fact Marino didn't start in game 1 of his rookie season isn't really the same thing as being beaten out. In fact, David Woodley was so depressed by how great Marino was, Woodley never really developed after that. Once his legs ceased to give him a big advantage, he faded away. Dan Marino had the great tools coupled with superior eyesight, superior release, superior reading of defenses, excellent escapability, phenomenal leadership and a burning will to win. Players who played with and against him were in awe, even moreso than the fans who watched him.
I'm aware of all this. I was trying to point out that superior talent sometimes has to wait its turn. It doesn't mean (Woodley or Fitz) were better players just because they started the season.

If you are in position to draft a prospect like tua, you don’t trade the pick lol. Also, it is no secret that Ross loves Tua.
True, but Grier has googly eyes for Herbert.

Back
Top Bottom