hypothetical number 1 pick | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hypothetical number 1 pick

I'm aware of all this. I was trying to point out that superior talent sometimes has to wait its turn. It doesn't mean (Woodley or Fitz) were better players just because they started the season.
Ahhh, so like if 2nd year QB Josh Rosen waits 4-6 games before replacing veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick, he'll still have plenty of games to prove himself the way the rookie Marino did. That makes sense. But if we have the worst record in the NFL, there's almost no chance he has proven himself unless we have by far the worst defense in the NFL this year.

I'm going to be surprised if the Dolphins do not draft a QB in round 1 of the 2020 NFL draft. Just my opinion.

Herbert is still more athlete than qb I think which is the one thing that makes me the most nervous.

Be more elite tool competition for rosen than outright winner imo

Not sure how many of you are old enough to remember Jeff George. He was gifted too but never was the QB some people thought he would be. It takes more than just physical tools to be a great QB. Things can always change but at this point Tua seems to be the guy you'd take #1. We do have a whole season of college ahead so we'll see how it goes. A lot can change.

It’s a different game than it was when Jeff George came out.

Safest bet with Herbert would be pistol and zone read. Limit the qb side of things and elevate the athlete side.

If that makes sense. And hope that the qb side catches up with the athlete in the pros.

There are safer plays no doubt.

It’s somewhat similar to a road we’ve already been down minus the progression read aspect of things

How can you have a lack of production when you are playing against the sec every week?
Hoops that's sec goggles. Alabama never plays a tuff sched. Please don't argue until they stop playing teams like citadel and wcu the 2nd to last game of every season.

Not really. Back then the formula was clear, college QB's weren't ready for the NFL and they were supposed to sit for 3 years. Both the #1 overall pick, John Elway, and the late first round pick, Dan Marino played as rookies. Elway was thrown in from the beginning, and he crashed and burned. Horrible fiasco of a rookie year, and even his coach, Dan Reeves, admitted it was a mistake to throw him in so early. Dan Marino came in as a rookie after a few games and took over and dominated. It was about as quick of a transition as any QB was capable of doing back then. At no point was Marino beaten out by David Woodley. Marino was obviously better from day 1, but the kid's head was spinning for a few games as he tried to adjust to the huge step up in complexity of the NFL QB position.

Today the college game is far more sophisticated. QB's and WR's no longer need 3 years to adjust--they're ready right away in many instances. The fact Marino didn't start in game 1 of his rookie season isn't really the same thing as being beaten out. In fact, David Woodley was so depressed by how great Marino was, Woodley never really developed after that. Once his legs ceased to give him a big advantage, he faded away. Dan Marino had the great tools coupled with superior eyesight, superior release, superior reading of defenses, excellent escapability, phenomenal leadership and a burning will to win. Players who played with and against him were in awe, even moreso than the fans who watched him.
You just made someone look silly .

Marino never got beat out by Woodley. What are you on
Shula never planned on starting Marino so there was never a real competition between the two of them because Marino would of won it hands down.

Hoops that's sec goggles. Alabama never plays a tuff sched. Please don't argue until they stop playing teams like citadel and wcu the 2nd to last game of every season.

I’m not watching those games Scotty. No one should be lol

I’m not watching those games of any qb

You just made someone look silly .
Sorry, that was not my intent. Just pointing out that times have changed. I apologize to that other poster if it came across as trying to make anyone look silly.

I don’t agree with things have gotten more difficult for the qb. I think they’ve gotten more simple with all the college concepts in the nfl these days.

Easier to hide weakness if you have strengths around the qb.

Back
Top Bottom