If Josh Rosen were in the 2020 Draft...... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Josh Rosen were in the 2020 Draft......

PFF big board 6th overall rosen
ESPN had him at 7 overall
Mike Mayok at 21st overall
JOSH ROSEN, UCLA – QUARTERBACK
Last year’s top-graded quarterback on intermediate (10-19-yard) throws, Rosen has the zip and touch to make tight-window throws. His aggressiveness allows him to create big-play opportunities all over the field, but it also gets him into trouble with a high percentage of turnover-worthy plays. Rosen graded between 84.0 and 86.3 in all three years of his career at UCLA, all solid grades, though not the dominant performances you’d like to see for a quarterback in the mix to be the first overall pick
Alabama and LSU are ALL Star teams compared to UCLA. That's not apples to apples.

Grades are determined by the level of competition you played against also not just stats so it's the best comparison you can get. SEC is without doubt the hardest place to play.

I dont think Darnold is that good either. I think jets are willing work w Darnold.. darnold look like bust.. I may be wrong. He is going be avg to below avg..

I think Darnold will be fine. He was very sick last year (mononucleosis) and missed a big chunk of the season. The Jets had the best record in the division for the last half of the season.

I really wanted Darnold in 2018.

Last edited:
It’s difficult to ask people to simply look past the guys first two seasons. I don’t think he would be drafted at all but I don’t think much of Rosen .

The Job wasn't for Rosen to win, they had a plan with Fitz from the beginning of the season, why do you think Gailey is coming in to coach Fitz?, You Roll with your young gun slinger good or bad and let him develop, Rosen is no dummy maybe he don't answer media questions well but this kid is pretty good given the right situation, build your house around him and give him things he can do or build a team where he is effective, Blocking, would be a great start and how about a running game, see these things are out of a QB job description to many off schedule plays happened last season, just ask Fitz, who do you know in the league that can play QB on their back, go look at the reason why the TEAM was so poor and you should come out with no OL continuity,(they changed people every week) Running game suffered(they changed OL ever week) QB sacks ( did I mentioned that they changed the OL every week?)

QB has a responsibility but only when he has a fighting chance to play a position that requires him to be standing up most of the time.

IMO anyone who denies the significant talent Rosen demonstrated on certain throws
last season is either plain ignorant or purely agenda driven. Same goes for anyone who
denies the absolute $hitstorm he was subjected to behind on OL (front end of the season)
that was titanically horrific!

Beyond that -- if you think a super hero like Tua (given his lack of height and obvious fragility)
would have excelled in the exact same scenario your delusional IMO.

That said, it does NOT mean Rosen is definitely going to solve our QB problem -- just the fact
the kid needs to have a "CHANCE" to execute plays as opposed to being dazed and confused
by a torrent of chaos.

I'm like 1000% sure if we draft Tua the kid would receive every conceivable excuse card
known to man if ???? he was subjected to anything remotely like Rosen was last year.

Bottom line, Rosen is definitively in the mix until Flores moves him out or some super hero
takes command...

Last edited:
Ryan Tannehill, who is your perenial average QB had the same kind of offense in his second season as a Pro... An OL that included Tyson Clabo, Jon Martin and a washed up Mckinnie. Fins were 26th in rushing yards and 29th in rushing attempts and allowed 58 sacks...

Well average still managed to throw for 24 TDs and 17 INTs and posted a bad 81 rating... Kind of what you usually expect from average/bad guys like Fitzpatrick, but that was his second season, with Zach Taylor as his QB coach, Mike Sherman as OC and Joe Philbin as his HC... **** coaching staff...

Josh Rosen isnt even on the same planet as Tannehill in similar situations. 12 TDs, 19 INTs for a bottom of the barrel 63 rating.

Saying Josh Rosen is very likely to be a bust doesnt make you a hater, it just means you dont believe in blind hope.

Rosan has yet to prove anything in his 1st two years. He is a talented thrower, prototypical size. Coming out of this draft Rosen and Hebert would be neck and neck discussion.

This will be Josh Rosen's 3rd Offensive System in 3 years as a pro. Hard to have any success with that amount of change. Then you add in the horrendous Offensive Line play in both Arizona and Miami and you get a dazed and confused QB. A player who has talent to work with but no supporting cast in terms of players around him and constant change in the system, results in a bad mix and bad QB play.

Ryan Tannehill, who is your perenial average QB had the same kind of offense in his second season as a Pro... An OL that included Tyson Clabo, Jon Martin and a washed up Mckinnie. Fins were 26th in rushing yards and 29th in rushing attempts and allowed 58 sacks...

Well average still managed to throw for 24 TDs and 17 INTs and posted a bad 81 rating... Kind of what you usually expect from average/bad guys like Fitzpatrick, but that was his second season, with Zach Taylor as his QB coach, Mike Sherman as OC and Joe Philbin as his HC... **** coaching staff...

Josh Rosen isnt even on the same planet as Tannehill in similar situations. 12 TDs, 19 INTs for a bottom of the barrel 63 rating.

Saying Josh Rosen is very likely to be a bust doesnt make you a hater, it just means you dont believe in blind hope.

Yes, Fitzpatrick looked much better with the same O-Line. But the team as a whole was improved by that point as well (playing better). Also, Fitzpatrick's experience was a big reason for the difference. Ultimately, I think Rosen will be a bust in the NFL (I hate to use the word "bust" for anybody that makes it to the peak of his/her profession, but that is the word we have). But I don't think it's fair to label him as such just yet.

I also think Tannehill would have been a much better than average NFL career if he had been able to stay healthy (and had better coaching).

Build the OL and skill group. Remove excuses for failure. Continue drafting QB's until you know you've hit. Everything else should be a secondary focus.

I agree with a having a plan and sticking to it -- as you noted start with the OL
add some terrorists and find a way to have a consistent viable ground game!
The odds of landing the next Mahomes or Marino etc. are fools gold -- build
the team and keep addressing the QB position with quality kids to develop
until you hit the right combination.

Beyond that -- don't discount the development curve of the QB position...
Seems to me having a high quality situation to land in, with really good
coaching, a strong supporting cast, and a complementary "team" go a
long wat to producing good results at the QB slot.

Back
Top Bottom