If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter? | Page 37 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter?

If Tannehill is out for season, who should be starter?

• Matt Moore

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Jay Cutler

Votes: 41 14.7%
  • Colin Kaepernick

Votes: 83 29.9%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Nick Foles

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tony Romo

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Mark Sanchez

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Trade for a Young Backup QB

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brock Osweiller

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Sigh, that's the problem with career averages- while technically correct, they do not tell the whole story.

Case in point, last season Tannehill went 7-1, Kaepernick 1-10; beyond that, even skewing up his win percentage with a powerhouse team, career wise Tannehill despite the OL struggles, pedestrian running attack, undependable defense is 37-40 (.481) vs Kaepernick at 28-30(.483)

Still, beyond QBR from a career standpoint Kaep has completed 59.6% of his passes, Tannehill 62.7%; Kaep does have a better TD to Int ratio (2.4 to 1.6) so there is that.

Puttng all this into further perspective: SF's OL ratings during Kaepernick's heydays: 2012:#1; 2013: #2 2014:#9 vs. Miami 2012/23, 2013/29, 2014/32. If you don't think that porous OLs have a bearing on "career" stats, there's a shiny bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it.

However, in a "What have you done for me lately?" league, at no time has Tannehill previously come close to replicating the Gase system... especially over the last 8 games when it kicked in. But then again, ditto Kaepernick ever coming close to replicating the success he had in Harbaugh's system. So there ain't no current comparison despite career QBRs.

When it comes to Tannehill vs Kaepernick, career stats fall short of telling an authentic representative story as Tannehill is better judged in terms of the changes from BG(before Gase) vs WG(with Gase). And the same argument can be made for Kaepernick.

Long way of saying, opinions are what makes the world go round, but in the here and now neither Kaepernick, Cutler .. nor Moore are worthy of comparison!

A lot of pick and choose here from you.

It's not QBR (which is secretive and subjective data from ESPN) that j-off-her-doll posted, it's the passer rating which is a solid formula and public information.

Miami's offensive line issues are well documented here, but you're also failing to include the offensive line issues for 49ers and Kaep the past two years also.

From Oct. 26, 2015
Holes in 49ers' Offensive Line Can't Be Overcome: It's a broken record, week after week: Kaepernick and running game don't stand a chance behind shaky blockers up front

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Holes-in-49ers-Offensive-Line-Cant-be-Overcome-337130361.html

Tannehill had his best year year as QB under Gase, just like Kaep had his best year under Harbaugh. We can all generally agree that Gase is a great offensive mind and there's a very solid chance that Kaep could have one of his better years playing under him as well.

Last edited:

It's not QBR (which is secretive and subjective data from ESPN) that j-off-her-doll posted, it's the passer rating which is a solid formula and public information.

Miami's offensive line issues are well documented here, but you're also failing to include the offensive line issues for 49ers and Kaep the past two years also.

From Oct. 26, 2015

Tannehill had his best year year as QB under Gase, just like Kaep had his best year under Harbaugh. We can all generally agree that Gase is a great offensive mind and there's a very solid chance that Kaep could have one of his better years playing under him as well.

As did Cutler. Gase is simply going with familiarity here. We may hate him but he's obviously fond of sour of shape, smoking Cutler. We don't have to agree but it's his choice and he's in the know more than we are.

As did Cutler. Gase is simply going with familiarity here. We may hate him but he's obviously fond of sour of shape, smoking Cutler. We don't have to agree but it's his choice and he's in the know more than we are.

I don't believe the myth that just because someone is employed by an NFL (or college) organization that they automatically know more and/or know better. There plenty of past examples from our own franchise that prove that.

I don't believe the myth that just because someone is employed by an NFL (or college) organization that they automatically know more and/or know better. There plenty of past examples from our own franchise that prove that.

I agree case by case. Gase is one that does.

And it's not just a few people, the whole league that's passing on crapdik as a starter. Without the political side he's a mere after thought, prob on the jets or browns fighting for a second string job.

Last edited by a moderator:

We'll see. The concept that we built our defense on "built to play with a lead" is about to take a beating. Our defensive scheme and personnel are designed to rush the QB and disrupt the passing game. If we can't manage 20+ pts a game offensively and stay ahead on the scoreboard by a decent margin, we're in for a real **** show having to watch our defense succumb to the opposition's run game and their overall control of TOP.

Question if Coach Gase had success with Jay, and is a QB coach, who has the most upside for Coach Gase to show his most success with once again, Jay or Colin?

That's true.. but then again Tannehill beat out Moore but Kaep couldn't beat out Wayne ****ing Gabbert for the starting job, so that regardless of OL performance, that's not unimportant in comparing the two.
No, I understand that, and despite Tannehill's abysmal 1st year conventional QBR in the 70s and limited college QB experience vs Kaepernick's 4 years of starting at UNV-Reno, the end result is a nominal 2.4 points difference overall: vis a vis: Kaepernik:88.9 vs Tannehill: 86.5.. so given the relative preparation, I'm not even buying into Kaepernick having a QBR edge overall.
Oh and from my last post, did I mention that only one of those 2 had the benefit of handing off to Frank Gore??
That's a point well taken. However, since Gabbert beat out Kaep, maybe the same argument can be made for him also... if AZ would let him go.

True, but Adam Gase has demonstrated over time that he does know more about QB'ing than most anyone, especially when it comes to first hand knowledge. It's no coincidence that Cutler had one of his best years under Gase, that Osweiller did well under his tutelage, that Tebow even prospered, relative to his many limitations under Gase. Hell, although Gase was smart enough to let Manning do his thing and admits to learning from the field general, it's hard to miss the respect Peyton has for Gase, even visiting training camp and speaking to the team. So bottom line: if Gase wants Kaep, so be it; but the same can be said for Cutler.. or even as a curve ball Osweiler, cuz there's no one here posting that comes close to his credentials to even argue the selection.

My takeaway on this whole ugly ordeal is that we had prime rib and regardless, of whomever ends up under center, it's the equivalent of horse meat!

That's a point well taken. However, since Gabbert beat out Kaep, maybe the same argument can be made for him also... if AZ would let him go.

You can hang your hat on the competence of Tomsula and his decision making if you like, I, on the other hand, will have no such part of it.

My opinion:

Cutler virtually ensures 8-8.

Kaepernick is a wild card, you could go anywhere from 5-10 wins.

If you don't sign anybody and roll with Moore-Doughty-Fales 2-9 wins.

I'm basing these projections partially on the fact that neither Moore or Cutler are likely to make it through the season, but in the case of Cutler we still have Moore behind him. In the case of Moore he might not even make it through the preseason so we still could sign/trade for somebody else at that point.

So how do u think we do w a healthy cutler for an entire season?

You can hang your hat on the competence of Tomsula and his decision making if you like, I, on the other hand, will have no such part of it.
Agree but if you don't yield to Gase's documented QB expertise and resulting decision-making, you would be doing the equivalent.

Bottom line: whomever Gase earmarks, there should be no credible dissent because none around here understands a pragmatic fraction of what he does!

Sigh, that's the problem with career averages- while technically correct, they do not tell the whole story.

Case in point, last season Tannehill went 7-1, Kaepernick 1-10; beyond that, even skewing up his win percentage with a powerhouse team, career wise Tannehill despite the OL struggles, pedestrian running attack, undependable defense is 37-40 (.481) vs Kaepernick at 28-30(.483)

Still, beyond QBR from a career standpoint Kaep has completed 59.6% of his passes, Tannehill 62.7%; Kaep does have a better TD to Int ratio (2.4 to 1.6) so there is that.

Puttng all this into further perspective: SF's OL ratings during Kaepernick's heydays: 2012:#1; 2013: #2 2014:#9 vs. Miami 2012/23, 2013/29, 2014/32. If you don't think that porous OLs have a bearing on "career" stats, there's a shiny bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it.

However, in a "What have you done for me lately?" league, at no time has Tannehill previously come close to replicating the Gase system... especially over the last 8 games when it kicked in. But then again, ditto Kaepernick ever coming close to replicating the success he had in Harbaugh's system. So there ain't no current comparison despite career QBRs.

When it comes to Tannehill vs Kaepernick, career stats fall short of telling an authentic representative story as Tannehill is better judged in terms of the changes from BG(before Gase) vs WG(with Gase). And the same argument can be made for Kaepernick.

Long way of saying, opinions are what makes the world go round, but in the here and now neither Kaepernick, Cutler .. nor Moore are worthy of comparison!

It's just a list of players with better and worse passer ratings than Kaepernick - not a ranking of QB's. But, it should help people understand that those who view Kaepernick as a backup only don't know what they're talking about. He's one of the 20, or so, best QB's in the league. And, his 2016 passer rating, with a team much worse than any that Tannehill has led, is better than his career passer rating, so he's doing fine lately.

His game is awkward, but more than a johnny-come-lately business, the NFL should be a bottom-line business, and when the rubber meets the road, Kaepernick protects the ball, and he makes plays.

Would I prefer Tannehill to Kaepernick in Miami, and in most offenses? Yes. Is there a huge chasm that makes comparing the two ridiculous? No.

Agree but if you don't yield to Gase's documented QB expertise and resulting decision-making, you would be doing the equivalent.

Bottom line: whomever Gase earmarks, there should be no credible dissent because none around here understands a pragmatic fraction of what he does!

Eh . . .

Back
Top Bottom