If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter? | Page 36 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

If Tannehill is out for the season, who do you want as starter?

If Tannehill is out for season, who should be starter?

• Matt Moore

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Jay Cutler

Votes: 41 14.7%
  • Colin Kaepernick

Votes: 83 29.9%
  • Peyton Manning

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Nick Foles

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Tony Romo

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Mark Sanchez

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Trade for a Young Backup QB

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Brock Osweiller

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
Kaepernick had the fifth best accuracy on throws behind the line of scrimmage, fifth best in the 1-5 yard range, 13th in the 6-10 range, 21st in the 11-15 range, 17th in the 16-20 range and 25th on deep passes. Kaepernick was more accurate in four of the six yard ranges and, crucially, ranked in the top five on both short yard ranges.

. . .

Kaepernick lost one once every 8.49 attempts. Nobody in the league lost completions on accurate passes because of receiver error as often as the San Francisco 49ers quarterback did.

. . .

He has shown development, growing from a quarterback with a narrow skill set who was reliant on his scheme into someone with a wider skill set who has now shown functional ability in multiple schemes. The criticisms of Kaepernick are outdated.

In 2016, Kaepernick showed off an ability to make subtle movements in the pocket while keeping his eyes up to diagnose coverages downfield. He showed off poise and precision with his movement in the pocket, he got off his first reads in a timely manner and kept his eyes up at all times. He developed an ability to throw from the left flat, something he never had as a rookie, and made better decisions both in terms of attacking coverages and picking his spots for when to scramble.

http://presnapreads.com/2017/07/30/colin-kaepernick-is-better-than-joe-flacco/

I cannot believe there are some on this fan base that seriously think that bilgewater or kap, either one, are even remotely close to being viable as an option.

But then I look at the names and I recognize past posting histories. They are basically the same contingent who have shamelessly shilled for certain QBs for the last 10+ years that have always been dismal flunkouts with the Dolphins. It started with culpepper and has kept on up to the present. They are also the ones who never miss a turn at criticizing Ryan every chance they get and they are SOOOOO confident that "Tannehill will NEVER be a Franchise QB", yada yada yada..

The vultures are circling again with Ryan's injury. They sense opportunity to start the drumbeat anew.

The Agenda is back.

I HATE this. Hoping Ryan will be back ASAP and silence the rabble.

Least amount of Interceptions thrown in NFL history with at least 50 starts:

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Colin Kaepernick

I think that's why in 2016 kap had the highest percentage of uncatchable balls.
Meaning he throwing it away rather risking an interception.
I noticed Moore has some trouble throwing into traffic. Plus Moore is not mobile
Id rather have Tebow over Matt Moore.
Heck sign Tim Tebow and Kap run plays with both of them together. =)
Imagine the Drama. Tim Tebow will be kneeling with Kap.

Purely anecdotal but my cousin is a lifelong 49ers fan. Like many he loved Kap when under Harbaugh but then that team up ended and the flaws came out. Per his observation and criticisms I've heard many a time from him:

1. Touch. Or lack therof. Kap has no touch on his passes. It's a rocket or it's a misplaced lob. Pennington he is not.

2. Pocket presence. Yes he can run but he was always way too quick to abandon the pocket, rarely allowing plays to develop. Running is his strength but also his weakness.

3. Accuracy. When Kap misses he doesn't just miss, he head scratchingly misses like a glitch out of Madden.

Kap was a beast out of the pistol when nobody saw him coming under Haurbaughs guidance, but IMO he's no savior. He's a project. Still.

Last edited:
Purely anecdotal but my cousin is a lifelong 49ers fan. Like many he loved Kap when under Harbaugh but then that team up ended and the flaws came out. Per his observation and criticisms I've heard many a time from him:

1. Touch. Or lack therof. Kap has no touch on his passes. It's a rocket or it's a misplaced lob. Pennington he is not.

2. Pocket presence. Yes he can run but he was always way too quick to abandon the pocket, rarely allowing plays to develop. Running is his strength but also his weakness.

3. Accuracy. When Kap misses he doesn't just miss, he head scratchingly misses like a glitch out of Madden.

Kap was a beast out of the pistol when nobody saw him coming under Haurbaughs guidance, but IMO he's no savior. He's a project. Still.

Your cousin is definitely a watcher of 49ers games. I see many of the exact same things when watching Kap.

Not saying Gase couldn't adjust the offense around to suit his strengths, but he already has an offense in place, for over a year now, the better is option is to roll with some one familiar with the scheme and terminology . . . .and that is not Kaepernick.

I think that's why in 2016 kap had the highest percentage of uncatchable balls.
Meaning he throwing it away rather risking an interception.
I noticed Moore has some trouble throwing into traffic. Plus Moore is not mobile
Id rather have Tebow over Matt Moore.
Heck sign Tim Tebow and Kap run plays with both of them together. =)
Imagine the Drama. Tim Tebow will be kneeling with Kap.

Moore has no issue throwing into traffic. Moore will let it fly all over the field. And he is more mobile than the Tannehill we saw the first few years of his career . . . Just not the 2016 Tannehill which was a breath of fresh air.

Moore's ultimate weakness is when the we are playing at full gamespeed he just doesn't get off his reads enough and he will force throws and doesn't have the arm strength to make all of the throws a guy like Tannehill can make. He also has shown to be fumble prone when he takes a hit in the pocket.

His TD:INT and QBR as a Dolphin are pretty damn good tho and he has a winning record with the team and his teammates truly respect him.

That has got to count for something.

I cannot believe there are some on this fan base that seriously think that bilgewater or kap, either one, are even remotely close to being viable as an option.

But then I look at the names and I recognize past posting histories. They are basically the same contingent who have shamelessly shilled for certain QBs for the last 10+ years that have always been dismal flunkouts with the Dolphins.

Just for some context, since a lot of people are talking out their necks, QB's with better career passer ratings than Kaepernick:

Prescott
Rodgers
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Mariota
Ryan
Cousins
Taylor
Dalton

QB's with worse career passer ratings:

Palmer
Carr
Luck
Bridgewater
Stafford
Tannehill
Newton
Cutler
Smith
Winston
Hoyer
Glennon
Seimian
Bradford
Flacco
E Manning
Moore
Bortles
Wentz
Osweiler
Gabbert
Goff

My opinion:

Cutler virtually ensures 8-8.

Kaepernick is a wild card, you could go anywhere from 5-10 wins.

If you don't sign anybody and roll with Moore-Doughty-Fales 2-9 wins.

I'm basing these projections partially on the fact that neither Moore or Cutler are likely to make it through the season, but in the case of Cutler we still have Moore behind him. In the case of Moore he might not even make it through the preseason so we still could sign/trade for somebody else at that point.

My opinion:

Cutler virtually ensures 8-8.

Kaepernick is a wild card, you could go anywhere from 5-10 wins.

If you don't sign anybody and roll with Moore-Doughty-Fales 2-9 wins.

I'm basing these projections partially on the fact that neither Moore or Cutler are likely to make it through the season, but in the case of Cutler we still have Moore behind him. In the case of Moore he might not even make it through the preseason so we still could sign/trade for somebody else at that point.

But at least with Moore we don't spend our salary cap carry over. Moore did good with filling in for Tannehill. How would he do with the offense being tailored to him going into day one knowing he is the man?

Am I the only one that see Kaep. as a 'one look and run QB'? If he could read a D he would still have a job in SF. Any thought that he can run a pro style O is mystery to me. He has never been able to do that. Moore is inaccurate. He can get the ball near the receiver but does not lead or protect the receiver, leading to no YAC and WR's getting killed by safety's or LB's. I would still rather not trade a pick for a QB. If this season is done , so be it. BTW, is it to early for our annual battle cry: "wait 'till next year"?

Just occurred to me that I can't remember seeing RG3s name mentioned once. Biggest bust in NFL history

If we go with Moore, we still have to sign a vet to back him up. What experienced back-ups are out there on the market still? I suppose RG3 fits that bill at this point, and Shaun Hill is unsigned. Any other names available outside of Kaep or Cutler who we would only bring in as starters? I imagine a few vets will shake free as camp cuts.

Just for some context, since a lot of people are talking out their necks, QB's with better career passer ratings than Kaepernick:

Prescott
Rodgers
Wilson
Brady
Brees
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Mariota
Ryan
Cousins
Taylor
Dalton

QB's with worse career passer ratings:

Palmer
Carr
Luck
Bridgewater
Stafford
Tannehill
Newton
Cutler
Smith
Winston
Hoyer
Glennon
Seimian
Bradford
Flacco
E Manning
Moore
Bortles
Wentz
Osweiler
Gabbert
Goff

Sigh, that's the problem with career averages- while technically correct, they do not tell the whole story.

Case in point, last season Tannehill went 7-1, Kaepernick 1-10; beyond that, even skewing up his win percentage with a powerhouse team, career wise Tannehill despite the OL struggles, pedestrian running attack, undependable defense is 37-40 (.481) vs Kaepernick at 28-30(.483)

Still, beyond QBR from a career standpoint Kaep has completed 59.6% of his passes, Tannehill 62.7%; Kaep does have a better TD to Int ratio (2.4 to 1.6) so there is that.

Puttng all this into further perspective: SF's OL ratings during Kaepernick's heydays: 2012:#1; 2013: #2 2014:#9 vs. Miami 2012/23, 2013/29, 2014/32. If you don't think that porous OLs have a bearing on "career" stats, there's a shiny bridge in Brooklyn with your name on it.

However, in a "What have you done for me lately?" league, at no time has Tannehill previously come close to replicating the Gase system... especially over the last 8 games when it kicked in. But then again, ditto Kaepernick ever coming close to replicating the success he had in Harbaugh's system. So there ain't no current comparison despite career QBRs.

When it comes to Tannehill vs Kaepernick, career stats fall short of telling an authentic representative story as Tannehill is better judged in terms of the changes from BG(before Gase) vs WG(with Gase). And the same argument can be made for Kaepernick.

Long way of saying, opinions are what makes the world go round, but in the here and now neither Kaepernick, Cutler .. nor Moore are worthy of comparison!

Moore has no issue throwing into traffic. Moore will let it fly all over the field. And he is more mobile than the Tannehill we saw the first few years of his career . . . Just not the 2016 Tannehill which was a breath of fresh air.

Moore's ultimate weakness is when the we are playing at full gamespeed he just doesn't get off his reads enough and he will force throws and doesn't have the arm strength to make all of the throws a guy like Tannehill can make. He also has shown to be fumble prone when he takes a hit in the pocket.

His TD:INT and QBR as a Dolphin are pretty damn good tho and he has a winning record with the team and his teammates truly respect him.

That has got to count for something.

Don't forget his high school level arm strength and progression ability of a rookie despite he's been in the league what ten years now? Moore is not good. He's not an NFL starter. Crapdik has the arm strength and athletic ability which masks his mental short comings but he's inaccurate, inconsistent and will leave plays on the field to run because he's too stupid.

The only way he'd be the choice is if he came with with 2015s (whichever year it was ridiculous might be 14) 49ers o line and defense.

The only people that want this mediocre crapdik talent are SJWs, racists and America hating political hacks, save for agenda driven rt17 haters and football illiterates.

My concern with Matt is we are good for 4-6 games tops, is Jay's heart in it or is it one last payday, and I think the best choice for a pure QB is Colin. I know all the extras that go with it, but I believe he gives us the best chance to win, and like Ryan can use his legs to win games as well.

Back
Top Bottom