Intro to Hunter Long TE :RD 3 | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Hunter Long TE :RD 3

Or maybe it 's because our entire receiving corps is good but not great, and Tua excels when surrounded by greatness at every position ... an untenable requirement in the NFL.
Look, Tua isn't as transcendent as things like the "Tua Worship Thread" on here would like you to believe. But you've got to understand play style and QB strength.

Tua was a guy who was lethal in college at hitting guys after their break. Alabama wasn't asking this guy to throw 50/50 balls all the time in college. We threw him in without a single guy who could reliably make a great and get open - and I'm talking on the entire darn team. The closest guy to doing that is Grant, and he is a doofus who can't catch. Yeah, Tua benefited from a great support cast at Alabama, guys who could get open. Yeah, I had doubts about Tua being the right fit for the Dolphins. But that's because I understood pretty clearly that we were drafting a guy who what he did best and the only things our receiving corps did weren't going to mesh with each other until we did some re-tooling. I just didn't imagine that we'd pull Fitz 6 games in, and that was a big mistake.

Not every QB drafted the last two nights is a 50/50 ball thrower (Wilson and Trask are). And not every QB can throw passes over the middle to receivers in stride. You can hate on Tua for not being able to throw Gesicki open, or Parker on one leg, but that's something that a lot of QBs would struggle to do game in and game out. The Dolphins just made the mistake in selling everybody on that possibility when they prematurely benched a guy who could.

Ok. Well, I like what you read better than what I read.
What I read literally said he's useless as an inline blocker.
If he can block in the NFL, then he's a good pick, even if he was 180 degrees from a 'need' position.
Pitts is a good inline blocker then?

5% of this board has seen any video of the guy you read the write up on NFL.com and pronounce he can’t block - beautiful

Smythe was a blocking TE that didnt drop TDs when theown to him.
This is a horrible draft pick.

This pick tells the whole roster: when it's time for a raise, we cut or trade you.
You can only throw TE's to a guy that is open (or at least has crazy ability like Geiscki). A guy like Smythe only gets open when the defense is fooled. And great, hopefully you should be able to do that every now and then, but the real good teams in this league are the ones who can come out and beat you even when you were anticipating what they were doing.

Smythe was a blocking TE that didnt drop TDs when theown to him.
This is a horrible draft pick.

This pick tells the whole roster: when it's time for a raise, we cut or trade you.
It would be a hard league for players to handle if they didn't understand that guys leave when they can get paid a boatload of money somewhere else from someone. And it's most pronounced with pass catchers. If you're a mid-level pass catcher in the league - and Gesicki is - you probably aren't worth a superstar contract. But do I think Gesicki could get a superstar contract from one of 32 teams in this league? Probably with another good year. NFL teams have a salary cap and they can't afford to pay everyone for their production, much less overpay for production. And players, likewise, understand that their original teams can't always offer them an exorbitant contract, but someone out there might. Careers are short, take care of you.

I mean, we can criticize teams for not just paying players, why aren't players just selflessly taking under market contracts to stick around all the time? It's a business and both teams and players have to do what they have to do.

Are we going to baffle defenses with our vaunted 4 TE shotgun formations? What exactly is the plan here?
You may be on to something here. Waddle is a rookie, so when Parker and Williams are out with injuries Flo can have some of those TEs double as WRs to go along with Fuller. :chuckle:

Trading away next year's 3rd round pick makes more sense when you see what Greir does with them.
Out of curiosity.. did you suddenly show up to $hit on the optimisim of fans with a long standing membership who don't know you from adam?

Or are you planning to crap on other Fins forums too?

Not a fan of the pick.
I would have taken the C or a RB before this player.
I dont see him making the team or practice squad

Not a fan of the pick.
I would have taken the C or a RB before this player.
I dont see him making the team or practice squad
You honestly don't see a guy rated as the second, third, or fourth best TE in the draft and a third round pick making the team?

Why?

Been saying for awhile that TE was gonna be an option even if we didn't get Pitts. When Godsey was OC in Houston he had a year when he had 2 TEs with 50 plus catches and a third with over 30.

People like to jump on Gesicki, but it's absolutely a challenge to a guy like Smythe

You honestly don't see a guy rated as the second, third, or fourth best TE in the draft and a third round pick making the team?

Why?
His scouting report says he is a good pass catching TE but soft in the physical aspect of game.
He isnt physically aggressive
That is my position if the experts are correct
Maybe he will surprise. Not rooting agsinst the guys, but he seems lacking the goods.

He was so well considered that he was taken in the 5th round. How impressed do you think SF's equivalent fan base was with that pick?
I can’t speak to the SF fan base but dynasty fantasy players, the sharps, were pumped

I will add that I have heard favorable discussion about Long's athleticism and nice career projections for him so I'll dial back my criticism. Tua definitely showed an affinity for targeting the TE so it makes sense to try to improve the position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom