Intro to Hunter Long TE :RD 3 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Intro to Hunter Long TE :RD 3

His scouting report says he is a good pass catching TE but soft in the physical aspect of game.
He isnt physically aggressive
That is my position if the experts are correct
Maybe he will surprise. Not rooting agsinst the guys, but he seems lacking the goods.
SOME of the scouting reports said that... not all of them.

Others say that he is an old school y-type TE who gives maximum effort. I'm guessing that these reports are the ones Flores agreed with, because after all... he spent Senior Bowl week with this guy and the staff called him TE of the week there.

Don't get this pick at all. First one really making me scratch my head. Even if i didn't agree with the specific players along the way, they made sense. This one is odd to mewith the others still on the board.

Same here. I really like all the other picks. I was surprised by the Holland pick, but I like it. I really feel like we're going to regret passing on Meinerz when we see how bad Skura is, and he will be bad. My only hope is that Dieter is ready to step in.

Initial reaction was anger but after a few minutes I calmed down.

Something tells me that he was strongly considered for a few reasons.

First, the BC connection with Flo who I'm sure had seen more than enough tape of him.

Second, and probably the most important is that this selection was made as a counterpunch to New England's 2 recently acquired free agent TE's in Smith and Henry.

Gesicki and Long in a 2 TE set would create mismatches IMO. Smythe might stick due to his in-line blocking ability which could leave Shaheen potentially a post June 1 cut unless they keep 4 TE on the roster.

Think student vs teacher in a tense chess match.

I don’t want to lick a running back.
you don't have to, that's flores and grier's job. It was in their job description when they first applied and One of the interview questions they were asked by the owner

Second, and probably the most important is that this selection was made as a counterpunch to New England's 2 recently acquired free agent TE's in Smith and Henry.
The counterpunch to a division rival loading up at TE is to add defenders to stop them. Holland hopefully contributes to that. The highly regarded JOK fell all the way to 52, past where the fins were at (50) before they traded up. In the 3rd round there were 3 LBs that got picked after the fins chose Long at 81. He's not going to help stop the pats TE's because as every Dolphins fan knows, TE's are terrible at making tackles in the open field 🤣🤣🤣

ya know what, **** it, we now have 3 TE's that offer almost the exact same thing (assuming Long pans out in the pros). Lets just go ahead and extend Gesicki under a TE contract then move him to his natural position of big WR. Health wise he'd be our most dependable WR. If we are going into the season with Fuller, Parker, Williams on the outside then there is going to be ample time for Mike G to get his snaps out wide.

This is the first pick that I found hard to justify. Are we running with 4 TE’s this year? Are we dropping Shaheen less than a year after giving him an extension? Are we dropping Smythe and saying we don’t need a blocking TE? Do we just flat out secretly hate Gesicki? Are we going to baffle defenses with our vaunted 4 TE shotgun formations? What exactly is the plan here?
Good player. Good value for the pick if you’re operating in a vacuum. But truly, truly baffling decision with so much talent at positions of need staring you in the face.
Yep. We also signed Walford a year or two ago even though he was obviously broken down. This regime has some vision for multiple tight ends because they keep signing or trading for or drafting another one every few months. Apparently they don't want to pay anybody, other than possibly Gesicki.

Third round is good for linemen and linebackers. That was my thought process. There are always talented guys in those positions who slip to that round. Unfortunately Urban Meyer outsmarted the league already by taking Walter Little where he belonged but earlier than expected. Meyer ended up with the highest rated recruit from 2017 (Little) and the highest rated recruit from 2018 (Lawrence). Entering the day Little was my hope for the third round. Joel Myers the center from Ohio State was also taken earlier than I estimated. I preferred him above the small college kid.

Boston College is a smart resourceful program. We drafted three very well spoken sharp guys tonight. I can't complain about that given all the years in which the draftee shows up and I cringe when he can't complete a basic response. The projection is a bit strange, unless this kid is more agile than my estimation or a more competent blocker. I attended Canes at Boston College in 2018 but can't say I remember this guy. Wyatt Davis, Trey Smith and Baron Browning were still sitting there. Those three names came to mind immediately when we made the pick. All three were 5 star recruits.

Pre draft I was saying Pitts is that ultra athletic tight end/wr, but if you're looking for a Kittle or Kelcee type of tight end Long might be the tight end to look at. Not saying he's a look to be aPro Bowler like Kittle and kelcee are now, but when they entered the league they were a little raw like Long too.

Probably not a good sign when your "highlights" are grabs with defenders draped all over you. Tommy Tremble's highlights look a lot more like George Kittle's from college than this guy.

Lol why pay Gesicki when we got a cheap replacement.

not sure that’s the goal. I believe the goal is mismatches and we currently have 2 big tight ends that run 4.5/4.6 forties with 2 wide receivers that run sub 4.3 forties combined with an alpha receiver when healthy. There is not one defense in the league that can match up to that if our offense plays to their talent.

So here is my thing, we have a starting TE, TE depth AND receivers before this pick.

I don't know much about this player but a developmental TE really isn't what I was personally hoping for here.

Back
Top Bottom