It Ain't Lookin Good..... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It Ain't Lookin Good.....

Originally posted by jasmine34
the one thing cindrich will learn and learn soon is miami FO will call your bluff ......

Damn right. Rick Speilman don't play. He holds all the cards yet again.

Originally posted by Muck

You just answered your own question. Like you said, every professional athlete is not content to be a backup. And just about all of them think they can start. So why not open up a competition between all of them?? I think you need to sit back and remember one thing. Everybody wanted an open competition last year between Lucas and Fiedler. Wanny reiterated that Jay was the starter. Everybody was pissed. Then Ray comes in and stinks it up to the tune of 0-4.

Sure, everyone who was wrong admitted so. But did anyone admit that WANNY was RIGHT?? Could it be possible that Wanny is right again?? Is it possible that he knows more about Griese and Fiedler than the average fan?? I think the man deserves a little credit.

I'm sorry, but you don't go bringing in a guy who just got fired....a guy who's been run out of town in favor of another loser.....a guy who you believe (and this is just hypothetical) to be inferior to the guy you already have starting......a guy who has a lot to prove after alienating his teammates and getting out of hand off the field........and let him challenge your starter......a guy who's done everything asked of him and has been embraced by his teammates. Not publicly. Not unless you want to lose the locker room. Not when he's already accepted the backup role. And not to the tune of $1.7 ~ $2 million.

As you may or may not have heard, Jay has a lot of respect from guys like McKnight and Chambers. Jay is the leader. And the last thing this team wants is a QB controversy. They feel Jay has earned the right to start. It would be a slap in the face if they just publicly let Griese waltz in off the street and go after the job.

You can bet that Jay will be under the gun this year, with or without Griese. This is make or break time. If Griese is the better man, justice will be served.

You don't honestly believe that, do you??

Well maybe I agreed to quickly with ALL of Jeeps post.
I don't feel the competition should be opened up THIS year.
Griese will definitely need time to learn and for the team to see if his past demons were for real or if he was just a bad fit in Denver.
However, if your signing this guy JUST to be a backup and both sides agree already to base salary, what's the problem with "what if" incentives in the contract.

Seriously, someone let me know what the Fins have to lose by agreeing to those incentives if in fact they KNOW that Jay IS going to be the starter???? I was pissed at Cindrich at first but the more I think about it, I don't think he's being rediculous in his demands. Hey if Griese comes off the bench and performs to a level that leads us to the playoffs and a super bowl isn't that worth a whole damn lot? As a fan don't you think it would have been worth extra money to have a backup that came in and won us all the games we lost last year with Lucas?

Just a thought, but I'm a little ticked off at the Fins on this one.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Seriously, someone let me know what the Fins have to lose by agreeing to those incentives if in fact they KNOW that Jay IS going to be the starter????

Spielman is trying to keep the cost down. They know Brian could reach the incentives that his agent is requesting and still not advance any further than they have in the past. Spielman knows There's a big chance Brian will play alot and IMO the Phins just dont want to overpay. Why not just Pay Griese the average of 2nd qb's sallary.

Well maybe I agreed to quickly with ALL of Jeeps post.
I don't feel the competition should be opened up THIS year.
Griese will definitely need time to learn and for the team to see if his past demons were for real or if he was just a bad fit in Denver.
However, if your signing this guy JUST to be a backup and both sides agree already to base salary, what's the problem with "what if" incentives in the contract.

Seriously, someone let me know what the Fins have to lose by agreeing to those incentives if in fact they KNOW that Jay IS going to be the starter???? I was pissed at Cindrich at first but the more I think about it, I don't think he's being rediculous in his demands. Hey if Griese comes off the bench and performs to a level that leads us to the playoffs and a super bowl isn't that worth a whole damn lot? As a fan don't you think it would have been worth extra money to have a backup that came in and won us all the games we lost last year with Lucas?

Just a thought, but I'm a little ticked off at the Fins on this one.

No, I don't agree. Griese has already gotten millions from the Broncos for nothing. If he does have to come off the bench, and if he leads the team to the SB, if, if, if. He can go for the big money next season. Right now he should be happy with just being on a team.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

No, I don't agree. Griese has already gotten millions from the Broncos for nothing. If he does have to come off the bench, and if he leads the team to the SB, if, if, if. He can go for the big money next season. Right now he should be happy with just being on a team.

So you're saying that a veteran backup QB that could handle himself, not allow the team to go into a tailspin and win games would'nt have been worth extra money to the Fins last year?

i live near buffalo and let me tell you, it blows, it should be part of canada it is so bad. Heck mister buffalo bills fan is just like the rest loyal when they win, and not their when they lose. Living here for 5 years i know this for a fact, and most "true" bills fans admit the fact that 95% of your fans are bandwagon, how many brand new bledsoe jerseys sold after they started winning?

Originally posted by Sherif

Spielman is trying to keep the cost down. They know Brian could reach the incentives that his agent is requesting and still not advance any further than they have in the past. Spielman knows There's a big chance Brian will play alot and IMO the Phins just dont want to overpay. Why not just Pay Griese the average of 2nd qb's sallary.

Supposedly those incentives are tied to amount of wins which would negate the fear of not advancing any farther than normal right? That and it has been quoted that the salary is already agreed upon. It's just the incentives about if Griese has to take the reigns.

So you're saying that a veteran backup QB that could handle himself, not allow the team to go into a tailspin and win games would'nt have been worth extra money to the Fins last year?

:confused: Did I say that? Last year???? Was Griese available last year??? They thought they had a good backup in Lucas. Wrong. Who's to say Griese would do any better, he only wins half of his games? What, a mil and a half (just a guess) isn't enough for collecting splinters?

Originally posted by Jeep

I have seen this coming since way back when.. what proffesional athlete in his right mind would be content being a back-up and not a starter..

Greise believes he can win the job from Jay, his agent believes he can also.. So why is it so difficult to open up competition for the starting QB job?

If Brian is better.. then let him start.. if Jay is better.. then so be it.. who knows.. even Sage might sneak in there and steal the job from both of them..

But for Dave to be soooo damnnn stubborn and say no way to open competition is redicules.. utterly stupid..

Once again.. if I was Greise and there really is interest by two other teams.. I would point my middle finger at Wanny and go play elsewhere for less money..

This ego chit as displayed by Wanny and the head office is NOT in the best interest of the team and therefore, should be seriously taken into consideration after this season..

your blaming wanny? get a life. and then get over it. griese hasnt done anything to gaurrantee himself a starter now, except maybe in arizona, the new laughing stock of the NFL.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

Did I say that? Last year???? Was Griese available last year??? They thought they had a good backup in Lucas. Wrong.

That is exactly the point! The only reason were looking for a veteran is because it lowers the possibility of last year happening again. You pay more for a veteran starter than a career backup for your second string QB bottom line. Is it worth it? I think so. If you disagree go watch our last 8 games last year and let me know if you still do.

What, a mil and a half (just a guess) isn't enough for collecting splinters?

This makes no sense.... they've already agreed on the salary he'd get for riding the pine. Did you not read that? :confused:

The issue is incentives he'd get if in fact he touched the field and led the team to wins. What guarantees do we have he'll do better than Lucas. none. We have no guarantees that Fiedler will do better than Lucas this year. There are no guarantees. Having 2 starters on the team lowers the chances of a melt down again if one goes down.
The fact is though that he won't make the incentives if he comes in and stinks up the joint. So again, what the heck do they have to lose agreeing with these. I don't see it.

i say let them open it up. unless fiedler just absolutely stinks it up or gets injured, it is unlikely griese can grasp enough of the O to do so. if he does, then the best man wins. if both sides are in agreement for a two year deal, then the first should be as a back up to learn the system and develope his confidence. not to mention getting used to the players.

then, in year two, open it up .

if griese, or his agent, can't deal with the situation he is in, then maybe he needs to talk to those other "two suitors" that can't be named. all we really need this year is a quality back-up. i think griese needs to be a quality back up for a season just to get his head straight.

If we had a backup last year like that then he would have been paid well this year. Reward them on performance done not performance promised, especially someone like Griese who has a lot of promise but has done squat with it.

Yeah he might turn out to be like RW but he also could turn out to be Cris Carter. The Dolphins were pretty quick to reward RW when he started to perform last year and believe me the Fins would do the same if Griese started to outplay his contract.

Heck Ray Lucas looke pretty good as a Jest before he came to the fins, until Griese proves himself as a Dolphin I will not be able to call him a veteran starter than handle himself

Originally posted by Muck

Damn right. Rick Speilman don't play. He holds all the cards yet again.

like i said yesterday, the longer griese holds out, the longer he doesnt know anything about this team and its members, and if i remember correctly, brian isnt the easiest guys to cozy up to. that works in spielman, wanny, and fiedlers favor. meanwhile we have some young kids who want to show their stuff.

here is the thing with me. wannspiel should just say forget the 2 years and here is a one year deal, take it or leave it. no incentives, no nothing but a straight contract, otherwise, have fun with that so called team that is after him. Parsells wants nothing to do with him. that is the sign we should take this whole scenario on. He does not have a big market at all working for him. If someone else wanted him as a starter and was willing to pay bigger bucks, dont you think that he would be in that town already? :lol: Rick rules!

Originally posted by finfan54

your blaming wanny? get a life. and then get over it. griese hasnt done anything to gaurrantee himself a starter now, except maybe in arizona, the new laughing stock of the NFL.

Yes I am blaming Wanny.. whats it to you??

I never said guarantee Greise the starting role.. I just said open the competition up..

The QB that A) knows the system the best B) has the best chemistry with the receivers C) has the more accurate arm D) moves the team down the field should become the starting QB..

If thats Jay.. then wonderful..

But to stand there and say "Jay is the man" before training camp even starts... well thats a sure sign of ignorance and stupidity..

Its a clear message to all the rooks out there to come into training camp, bust your ass but dont plan on playing because this year, the team is reserved for the veterans from last year..

Let me ask you this question.. if Donald Lee comes in and plays better than Greenwood, shouldnt he start at LB? or if T-buck or Knight comes in and plays better than Fletcher.. shouldn't they have the right to take his starting posistion??

Once again.. to go out in public and make statements indirectly to Greise that no matter how good he looks, he wont be the starter is simply moronic.. and I cant believe anyone would stand behind a coach that takes that posistion..

Originally posted by BuffalosBoy

Taylor can't even bring Drew down. In the snow game Taylor jumped on his back and hung there for 5 seconds before the ref called it a sack. So yeah, I think Drew can heal from his back being jumped on.

clear.gif

???

Back
Top Bottom