It Ain't Lookin Good..... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It Ain't Lookin Good.....

Originally posted by Trekbiz

Seriously, someone let me know what the Fins have to lose by agreeing to those incentives if in fact they KNOW that Jay IS going to be the starter???? I was pissed at Cindrich at first but the more I think about it, I don't think he's being rediculous in his demands. Hey if Griese comes off the bench and performs to a level that leads us to the playoffs and a super bowl isn't that worth a whole damn lot? As a fan don't you think it would have been worth extra money to have a backup that came in and won us all the games we lost last year with Lucas?

Just a thought, but I'm a little ticked off at the Fins on this one.

The problem is that the incentives would be included in this year's salary cap even if he never saw the field. The only way incentives are not included in the cap is if they are not likely to be earned which I believe is any performance measure 10% higher than the previous season. For example, if Griese had a QB rating of 85 last year any incentive bonus that paid for a QB RATING BELOW 93.5 whether it was achieved or not. Miami would get a credit the following season but that wouldn't help this year. The same would apply to playing time incentives. Since Griese started a good portion of last year it seems likely that any incentives would be considered likely to be earned and screw our cap.

Originally posted by Jeep

Yes I am blaming Wanny.. whats it to you??

I never said guarantee Greise the starting role.. I just said open the competition up..

The QB that A) knows the system the best B) has the best chemistry with the receivers C) has the more accurate arm D) moves the team down the field should become the starting QB..

If thats Jay.. then wonderful..

But to stand there and say "Jay is the man" before training camp even starts... well thats a sure sign of ignorance and stupidity..

Its a clear message to all the rooks out there to come into training camp, bust your ass but dont plan on playing because this year, the team is reserved for the veterans from last year..

Let me ask you this question.. if Donald Lee comes in and plays better than Greenwood, shouldnt he start at LB? or if T-buck or Knight comes in and plays better than Fletcher.. shouldn't they have the right to take his starting posistion??

Once again.. to go out in public and make statements indirectly to Greise that no matter how good he looks, he wont be the starter is simply moronic.. and I cant believe anyone would stand behind a coach that takes that posistion..

It would be moronic to limit your starting QBs reps and announce a QB controversy publically, especially for a player not on the team. If a backup QB shows enough in TC and in the film room then you increase his reps. Last year Ogun wasn't the projected starter but he performed well and started. There is competition at every position its just not publically announced. I can't believe anybody would stand behind a coach that would try to divide the team before the season even started.

This ego chit as displayed by Wanny and the head office is NOT in the best interest of the team and therefore, should be seriously taken into consideration after this season..

How is it an ego trip by Wanny and the head office? How about an ego trip for a guy (and his agent) who was just CUT and LOOKING FOR WORK. Doesn't seem to be much of a market out there for Brian.

Screw them, play hard ball, there is no market, so why overpay?

If Brian is better.. then let him start.. if Jay is better.. then so be it.. who knows.. even Sage might sneak in there and steal the job from both of them..

I find it very hard to believe that Brian would be able to come in as late as it is now and have a better command of the offense than Jay at the start of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Palerider
Exactly! I totally agree Jeep. They are so committed to Jay that they would tell Brett Favre that he would be Fielder's backup. Don't get me wrong I think Jay's capable but c'mon man.....enough.

Why does everyone think that Bob Griese is the one who is being courted? Its Brian, you know, the one who doesn't have his phone ringing. The one who gets drunk and trips over his own feet and passes out in his driveway.

We need a backup, a capable backup. Jay is the starter. Give the man a break, look at his record since becoming the starter, Brian is NOT an upgrade to Jay, especially with Jay being in the offense a full year.

Originally posted by Trekbiz

So you're saying that a veteran backup QB that could handle himself, not allow the team to go into a tailspin and win games would'nt have been worth extra money to the Fins last year?

I think that its worth the money, but HOW are you so confident that Brian Griese is that quarterback.

I sure did hear praise and a sense of relief when Jay went down last year, because Lucas had a great preseason.

Hrmmm, what did Lucas do? Thats right, he has us looking for a BACKUP.

Why overpay? The man is unemployed with no other teams interested.

Let me ask you this question.. if Donald Lee comes in and plays better than Greenwood, shouldnt he start at LB? or if T-buck or Knight comes in and plays better than Fletcher.. shouldn't they have the right to take his starting posistion??

Once again.. to go out in public and make statements indirectly to Greise that no matter how good he looks, he wont be the starter is simply moronic.. and I cant believe anyone would stand behind a coach that takes that posistion..

I think you might want to edit this post and take the first paragraph that I quoted out. Donald Lee is a TE so there is no way he could beat Greenwood. I think maybe you were talking about LB Eddie Moore beating out Greenwood. T- Buck and Fletcher are competing for the nickel corner spot but Knight would be competing with neither of them since he is a safety not a corner. He is competing now with Freeman for our SS spot.

My view on this is that Griese really doesn't have enough time to learn the system but even if he did and the Phin FO felt that Griese could beat out Fiedler in open competition there would be a few reasons not to say so right away. First off, Griese is very interested in coming here and no one else is seriously interested in him (not that we know of at least). If Wanny were to say that Griese could compete for a starting job here, Cindrich would want starters money. Why would he do that when they probably can get him for back up money? Secondly, all that statement would do would be to fuel the QB controversy the media will create once the season starts. Basically, it would be pretty stupid to go public and say Griese will compete for the starting job even if he will.

Thirdly dude, I think you need to lay off of Wannie. It isn't even Wannie negotiating the deal. Its Cindrich and members of our front office. If we don't get Griese then you can rip our FO all you want. But all they are trying to do is save us cap money that we may use for other players in the future. Until Griese gets sined by someone you need to just relax.

Originally posted by Rrodr038
If we don't get Griese then you can rip our FO all you want. But all they are trying to do is save us cap money that we may use for other players in the future. Until Griese gets sined by someone you need to just relax.

I am not sure whether or not that would be so bad. And I, for one won't rip the FO (I know the post wasn't a reply to me)

The drunk is being courted as a backup, not a starter. He either signs as one, or can play Ryan Leaf for awhile, come back and get less then what the Fins are offering.

Althetes, geesh, maybe Griese's agent should call OG's agent :lol:

If I was Griese, I wouldn't sign that garbage that he's being offered.

Instead, I'd take a one-year deal with whoever, and wait for my chance to test the real market next March instead of the cash-strapped June market...

I just want this thing over with. We need a damn back up in place!!

Originally posted by rafael

It would be moronic to limit your starting QBs reps and announce a QB controversy publically, especially for a player not on the team. If a backup QB shows enough in TC and in the film room then you increase his reps. Last year Ogun wasn't the projected starter but he performed well and started. There is competition at every position its just not publically announced. I can't believe anybody would stand behind a coach that would try to divide the team before the season even started.

Excellent post.

The problem is, he's already getting a very large base salary (DCH says about $1.5 million). That's not the issue however. The problem is that the incentives are absolutely ridiculous. Incentives for team wins, each start, each relief appearence, and other ridiculous/easily attainable incentives. All in a ONE year deal. Cindrich is trying to establish a whole new precedent for backup QB contracts.

Dude, get a life. You're guy is going to be a f*cking backup. And in case you didn't read between the lines, he'll get his shot next season.

Cindrich is the problem. Not Wanny. Not Speilman. Not Griese. Not anyone else. He's trying to have his cake and eat it too. If I have my way, the Phins WILL NOT CAVE in this matter. It's a buyer's market.

Honestly, if we're up 45-0 late in the 3rd or 4th quarter......why should Brian get a bonus (on top of that large base salary) for coming in and mopping up in garbage time?? It shouldn't. But if Cindrich has his way, that's exactly what would happen. Of course, we'd throw in Sage instead....because he'd mop up for "free"....which would create animosity with Brian. And nobody wants that.

Originally posted by Taco John
If I was Griese, I wouldn't sign that garbage that he's being offered.

Instead, I'd take a one-year deal with whoever, and wait for my chance to test the real market next March instead of the cash-strapped June market...

Problem is, he ain't gonna start ANYWHERE. At least not going in. So he either takes this "garbage" (which has a base salary of over $1 million) or he accepts a crappy one year deal somewhere else. Again, it's a buyer's market. And he ain't got any leverage.

Muck is exactly right. Griese is no longer a starting QB, and Miami is not looking for one. They are looking for a backup. Backup QBs are paid so much to back up the starter. If they have to come in the game, that is what they're paid to do. If Griese and his agent wants him to be paid like a starter if he touches the football in a game, then they need to look for a starting job somewhere. Otherwise, you take the backup job and be glad you're at least pulling a paycheck. Besides, Miami only has so much cap room, just enough really to sign a backup and their rookies. They can't afford the cap hit this season for incentives Griese might attain.

Marc Bulger just signed a 1 year deal to backup Warner again for around $350,000. I'd take him over Griese anyday.

Back
Top Bottom