Joey Harrington | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Joey Harrington

Disnardo said:
Guys and gals I don't want to seem to the one that takes the air out of our balloon...

but if anyone goes back over the last 3 years, Joey has had excellent Pre Seasons with Detroit...

it seems that the Regular Season is where he has had his struggles...

Detroit didn't have an excellent preseason the whole time Harrington was there. QB numbers tended to be OK in the preseason for one reason--most of the teams Detroit played against in the preseason brought very little pressure. The major exception was the Rams last preseaon and Harrington and the Lions got killed in that game.

It's debatable whether that was Harrington's failure or the failure of the protection and the WRs but the fact that Jeff Garcia looked worse when he played is some indication. I think it would be dead wrong to imply that Harrington has played better during this preseason than he did in the regular season in Detroit.

Saban4prez said:
im sorry, but everyone and their mother knows david carr has never had an offensive line to even give him the chance to be all that he can be.

Thank you, you made my point for me. People are so quick to give excuses for David Carr while everyone seems to place the blame for Detroit squarely on Harrington's shoulders. Harrington is every bit as talented as Carr and has actually occasionally played well. Carr has never played better than average.

footballphin said:
Detroit didn't have an excellent preseason the whole time Harrington was there. QB numbers tended to be OK in the preseason for one reason--most of the teams Detroit played against in the preseason brought very little pressure. The major exception was the Rams last preseaon and Harrington and the Lions got killed in that game.

It's debatable whether that was Harrington's failure or the failure of the protection and the WRs but the fact that Jeff Garcia looked worse when he played is some indication. I think it would be dead wrong to imply that Harrington has played better during this preseason than he did in the regular season in Detroit.

I could be wrong but in the Pre Season games while with Detroit his stats are: 60% comp, 6.25 YPA, 4 TD, 1 INT and a QBR of 85%...

Compared to his stats in the Regular Season: 55% comp, 5.68 YPA, more INTs than TD, and a QBR of 68%...

I think the numbers speak for themselves...

yea cuase anyone who had that would be able to perform well :rolleyes2
I got your rolling eyes. All I can say is that even with the seemingly insurmontable problems Joey had to deal with, when push came to shove, he couldn't fight his way through and get it done. That's what I meant when I said, he wasn't a gamer.

It's debatable whether that was Harrington's failure or the failure of the protection and the WRs
That was one of those games where all of the Lions sucked, not just Harrington. Mooch did not have them prepared on that night.

so far, it has been fun getting to know Joey Harrington. He came from a disaster and watching him regain his confidence and improve has been a pleasure. To make it better, I know his value, relative to our purchase price has improved. Everybody wins. I didn't think I would like him, but I am.

So far I like what I see.He throws a classic pass and he has a good arm.The only thing that concerns me about him is that he has a tendency to get happy feet when he is pressured but that is a a habit which he didnt display in this last game....thank goodness.

I think he made a quantum leap from his last game and I only hope that he continues his progress in the last two exhibition games.

I feel better about our backup QB situation than anytime in recent history and thats what Joey is....a backup QB...at this stage.

i like the thought that joey is the 2 feel real comfortable with a guy that was a starter in this league b4. i think next year after a year in the system he'll be really good. one thing i've noticed though is he don't give the receivers a chance at YAC or yards after catch he seems to never hit them in stride they have to stop or he throws behind them. could be the fact he is working with so many wrs he hasn't developed the chemistry.

Lounge Lion said:
I got your rolling eyes. All I can say is that even with the seemingly insurmontable problems Joey had to deal with, when push came to shove, he couldn't fight his way through and get it done. That's what I meant when I said, he wasn't a gamer.

That was one of those games where all of the Lions sucked, not just Harrington. Mooch did not have them prepared on that night.

You mean when he took the Lions all the way down the field against the bucs to only have the Ref change the call on instant replay that was obvious Pollard was in and on the next play a rookie who constantly was late to meetings and came to camp way overwieght couldn't keep his feet inbounds on a perfect pass. Is that what you mean when you say push comes to shove. Or do you mean when he threw a perfect pass to Glen Martinez who the week previous was on the practice squad and if the pass was caught would put the Lions in field goal range to beat the Panthers only to drop it. 2 plays later to make a similar sideline though perfect only to have the ref miss a flagrant pass interference call [later that week the NFL apoligizes to the Lions for the missed call] again would have put them within field goal range for the win. Or do you mean the game tying drive against the Vikes only to have the P.A.T. botched and lose the game. Are those the push come to shove things Harrington couldn't handle.

How about having lazy no account teammates who thought the meaning of team was people to hangout with and screw off with. A head Coach who was more worried about TV appearences then taking care of business. There are a ton of things that were wrong in Detroit, Joey had his share of problems but heart was never one of them. Take him from a disfunctional team and put him with a functional one and he'll do just fine and maybe even make Culpepper a better QB out of the deal.

I am sure those are the push comes to shove things you were talking about.

Lounge Lion said:
DING DING DING!!! We have a winner.
OBTW, he's a really weird dude, too.

Why ? Cuz he can play the piano really well and enjoys classical music ? He started playing when he was 5 years old, and liked it. He's good enough to have played with a couple of symphonies. That makes him weird ??? :rolleyes2

Silentobserver said:
You mean when he took the Lions all the way down the field against the bucs to only have the Ref change the call on instant replay that was obvious Pollard was in and on the next play a rookie who constantly was late to meetings and came to camp way overwieght couldn't keep his feet inbounds on a perfect pass. Is that what you mean when you say push comes to shove. Or do you mean when he threw a perfect pass to Glen Martinez who the week previous was on the practice squad and if the pass was caught would put the Lions in field goal range to beat the Panthers only to drop it. 2 plays later to make a similar sideline though perfect only to have the ref miss a flagrant pass interference call [later that week the NFL apoligizes to the Lions for the missed call] again would have put them within field goal range for the win. Or do you mean the game tying drive against the Vikes only to have the P.A.T. botched and lose the game. Are those the push come to shove things Harrington couldn't handle.

How about having lazy no account teammates who thought the meaning of team was people to hangout with and screw off with. A head Coach who was more worried about TV appearences then taking care of business. There are a ton of things that were wrong in Detroit, Joey had his share of problems but heart was never one of them. Take him from a disfunctional team and put him with a functional one and he'll do just fine and maybe even make Culpepper a better QB out of the deal.

I am sure those are the push comes to shove things you were talking about.

Thanks for saying all the things that needed to be said. And its funny you mention Glenn Martinez, I ran track with him in HS and never really even considered that he was good enough to make it to the NFL. Our HS was a running high shcool ad our recievers never did anything.

I watched the game 3 times...I was surprised at how Joey looked, he seemed real poised and made some great throws. HOWEVER, I do want DC as my quarterback.

Did anyone else notice how DC always had a crowd around him on the sidelines as he joked with the top players on the team, while Joey roamed the sidelines alone?

Bottom line, I hope the kid gets his game and his balls back....maybe we can trade him next year or the year after for a quality player or a good draft pick.

not so silentobserver said:
Yeah, the Lions lose a lot of games in a lot of really fun and exciting ways. Thanks for bringing to mind those wonderful endings. It's been a great ride. You found some nuggets where other Lions have lost games, but where (I defy you to find it) is the game JOEY WON by himself??? I emplore you to save your strength and not bother looking. He's had moments of brilliance where you say "Wow, that was nice" but he has not had one game in four years where he snatched the Lions from the jaws of defeat, where he put the team on his shoulders and willed them to victory.

Just be glad he's your backup.

Back
Top Bottom