Laconfora: Cowher will likely pick Miami | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Laconfora: Cowher will likely pick Miami

Don Shula and JJ were the two most successful coaches we've had in Miami, and they were both proven winners elsewhere before coming here. Bring a 'retread' and let him be the first to win a SB with two teams.

Interesting. Cool that Whisenhunt's name was brought up. He would be the slam dunk obvious choice if the Cardinals fired him (edit: thanks to the poster revkev, I've changed my mind on this and would rather former Steelers and current Packers QB coach Tom Clements), though if Luck was our first pick that would mean him learning a whole new offense (Whisenhunt is off the Coryell tree IIRC).

Omar Khan's name seems to pop up in every story about Cowher going somewhere, but I just can't see where in his experience he's qualified to be a GM. The guy's chief job has been as a contract negotiator and capologist for 10 years and is only 34 years old. Administrator? Fine, I can see that. But I don't know where this GM talk comes from.

I like the idea of Eric DeCosta as GM much more, though it's hard to see him having a personal relationship with Cowher given that DeCosta has spent his entire front office career with the Ravens.

Last edited by a moderator:
My problem is that, regardless of how successful he is, Cowher is likely 3 or 4 years and out...and then we're right back on the coaching carousel again. Not to mention that the Pats will be quite difficult to overtake for the next couple of seasons. If the Fins were a more talented team in a winnable division, I would support this, but I think Cowher might be better served waiting to see if the Houston or Giants jobs open up.

If this report is true, then we can breathe a sigh of relief....it means Ireland is out too.

My problem is that, regardless of how successful he is, Cowher is likely 3 or 4 years and out...and then we're right back on the coaching carousel again. Not to mention that the Pats will be almost impossible to overtake for the next couple of seasons. If the Fins were a more talented team in a winnable division, I would support this, but I think Cowher might be better served waiting to see if the Houston or Giants jobs open up.

I could see him leaving after 3-4 years, but leaving us in the hands of someone competent.

Don't know about Tom Moore...he's pretty old, a few notches above 70. I believe he'd be older than Dan Henning when he arrived here.

Hoping he brings Keith Butler here to be our DC. But I am with the blue man, i will get excited when he signs by the X.

keith butler is being groomed to replace Lebeau. the Cardinals tried to hire him as part of their staff last year but the Steelers prevented it. He's that highly valued.

keith butler is being groomed to replace Lebeau. the Cardinals tried to hire him as part of their staff last year but the Steelers prevented it. He's that highly valued.

You can't block one of those moves if it's a clear promotion and Butler is the linebackers coach in Pittsburgh. We (meaning Cowher) would be making him the defensive coordinator.

You can't block one of those moves if it's a clear promotion and Butler is the linebackers coach in Pittsburgh. We (meaning Cowher) would be making him the defensive coordinator.

The only move that cannot be blocked is for the HC position.

Really? I didn't know that, if true.

I think that is true. I remember Saban tried to hire the linebacker coach from the Patriots to be the DC here and was blocked by Belichick.

I find this VERY hard to believe considering the fact that Cowher has blasted previous teams for trying to hire or speak to other coaches when they already have a coach. This would make Cowher a hypocrite.

You can hire a coach if it is a promotion. However, if the team is in the playoffs then the team does not have to give permission to allow them to be interviewed. If I am not mistaken that is what happened with Saban, and in Butler's case I think Pittsburgh gave him more money and the DC in waiting type thing so he pulled his name out of the hat for any DC jobs.

I find this VERY hard to believe considering the fact that Cowher has blasted previous teams for trying to hire or speak to other coaches when they already have a coach. This would make Cowher a hypocrite.
yea and jason taylor would rather die than play for the jets

Back
Top Bottom