Looking Back | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking Back

They didn’t give anything up to get Waddle exactly. They moved up to get one of their guys and Waddle was the best one left. I am glad they did it. I felt the same way at the time. I see a huge drop off from Chase/Waddle to Devonta Smith even though the media seems to disagree. I think Waddle is better than Lamb, AJ Brown, and Higgins. Which a lot of people disagree with. Even though he already is more productive than all of those guys except AJ Brown. I hear people say that Higgins is better all the time but even with Chase out he didn’t do anything to make himself look like one of the best in the league.
This turned out to be a great evaluation by Grier and Miami scouts. I really loved Smith coming out, but Waddle is better. Just so much more explosive.

I love the pairing of Hill and Waddle.

Keep in mind Chase missed 4 games. Just saying

Keep in mind Chase missed 4 games. Just saying
I don’t know what this is in reference to but keep in mind that Waddle had 8 fewer snaps and 17 fewer targets than Chase last season. And Chase had Burrow throwing him all of his targets. If it’s just about putting it in perspective.

This turned out to be a great evaluation by Grier and Miami scouts. I really loved Smith coming out, but Waddle is better. Just so much more explosive.

So was this a Flo pick or Grier? Everyone says we can't blame Grier because he does what his coaches want 😳

I personally think Waddle is better than Chase. Chase cannot be the possession type receiver that Waddle was his rookie year. Waddle isn’t just dangerous, he’s also tough and he’s always open. I actually think Dotson in Washington can be a great WR too. McLaurin May have the better hands and make tougher catches but there’s no substitution for being open. Which Waddle has over any WR in the league IMO.
The other thing too is Waddle was getting doubled so much his rookie year because we had no one else to throw to and he was still ballin!! I'm not sure chase could have done that here

So was this a Flo pick or Grier? Everyone says we can't blame Grier because he does what his coaches want 😳
I think it’s more of a position thing with the coaches and it’s up to Grier to find the player. Obviously the input comes from everywhere. The EZ pick illustrates that IMO. So in 2021 they probably were probably thinking Safety, WR, pass rush, RT and C.

The other thing too is Waddle was getting doubled so much his rookie year because we had no one else to throw to and he was still ballin!! I'm not sure chase could have done that here
I was telling people going into the year that I felt defenses were going to be able limit Chase. He came in as a rookie with 2 1000 yard receivers on the team getting a lot of attention. Last season teams were able to adjust.

Waddle is definitely better than Smith. I wanted Chase but we got 2 players instead of one and they are both playmakers

The 2020 draft is hands down the biggest blemish on Grier’s GM resume. Could have a multitude of high impact players instead of Jackson, Iggy and Davis. Hunt was a reach where we took him, but I think we were afraid a team like the Ravens would take him before our next 2nd round pick.
We took a franchise QB an OL starter and a DT that plays regularly, but YOU don't like that... The one pick (#1) is enough to make a successful draft, we got 2 maybe 4 starters out of it.

We took a franchise QB an OL starter and a DT that plays regularly, but YOU don't like that... The one pick (#1) is enough to make a successful draft, we got 2 maybe 4 starters out of it.
We had the 5th, 18th, 24th, 39th and 56th picks and came out with 2 starters. I have been a Tua fan/supporter since day one, but it isn’t like we took the only starting QB in the draft. Ignoring the 5th overall pick, we got next to no value from the next two picks. We overdrafted Jackson, Iggy, and Davis. Yes, Davis is a rotational guy, but we could have picked him at 70. His stock was low after 2 disappointing college seasons in a row. If the combine wasn’t cancelled, he would have dropped even more from subpar athletic testing.

We had the 5th, 18th, 24th, 39th and 56th picks and came out with 2 starters. I have been a Tua fan/supporter since day one, but it isn’t like we took the only starting QB in the draft. Ignoring the 5th overall pick, we got next to no value from the next two picks. We overdrafted Jackson, Iggy, and Davis. Yes, Davis is a rotational guy, but we could have picked him at 70. His stock was low after 2 disappointing college seasons in a row. If the combine wasn’t cancelled, he would have dropped even more from subpar athletic testing.
I agree that the most value was not made out the gate, we had a different coaching mindset then that definitely had a different set of priorities. We had to come out of that draft with a Qb and a LT (the top tackles were gone by #18 but there was still the absolute need for one) How many teams have picked a top 5 QB that failed? That defines a failed draft. There are not many Joe Thomas, Ozzie, Bobby Bethard or Ron Wolf's out there and there is a reason that many GM's don't last. Most are fired to end their carriers. I think that Davis and AJ are at least competent backups but they have to fish or cut bait this year.

Back
Top Bottom