Looking Back | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Looking Back

The 2020 Draft has produced six (out of eleven) players who have started regularly for the team. The team exercise of Tua’s 5th year option helps justify the pick. Jackson’s play in ‘23 will go a long way towards defining this draft class.

• R1, Pick No. 5: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama 🟢
  • R1, Pick No. 18: Austin Jackson, OT, USC 🟢
  • R1, Pick No. 30: Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn 🔴
  • R2, Pick No. 39: Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana-Laf. 🟢
  • R2, Pick No. 56: Raekwon Davis, DT, Ala. 🟢/🟡
  • R3, Pick No. 70: Brandon Jones, S, Texas 🟢/🟡
  • R4, Pick No. 111: Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia 🔴
  • R5, Pick No. 154: Jason Strowbridge, DE, NC 🔴
  • R5, Pick No. 164: Curtis Weaver, OLB, Boise St. 🔴
  • R6, Pick No. 185: Blake Ferguson, LS, LSU 🟢
  • R7, Pick No. 246: Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy 🔴

🟢 - Regular starter
🟡 - Irregular starter
🔴 - Cut candidate / no longer on team

Last edited:
We took a franchise QB an OL starter and a DT that plays regularly, but YOU don't like that... The one pick (#1) is enough to make a successful draft, we got 2 maybe 4 starters out of it.
Yeah I’ve been saying all along that it confuses me that so many Tua lovers are also Grier haters.

The 2020 Draft has produced six (out of eleven) players who have started regularly for the team. The team exercise of Tua’s 5th year option helps justify the pick. Jackson’s play in ‘23 will go a long way towards defining this draft class.

• R1, Pick No. 5: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama 🟢
  • R1, Pick No. 18: Austin Jackson, OT, USC 🟢
  • R1, Pick No. 30: Noah Igbinoghene, CB, Auburn 🔴
  • R2, Pick No. 39: Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana-Laf. 🟢
  • R2, Pick No. 56: Raekwon Davis, DT, Ala. 🟢/🟡
  • R3, Pick No. 70: Brandon Jones, S, Texas 🟢/🟡
  • R4, Pick No. 111: Solomon Kindley, G, Georgia 🔴
  • R5, Pick No. 154: Jason Strowbridge, DE, NC 🔴
  • R5, Pick No. 164: Curtis Weaver, OLB, Boise St. 🔴
  • R6, Pick No. 185: Blake Ferguson, LS, LSU 🟢
  • R7, Pick No. 246: Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy 🔴
🟢 - Regular starter
🟡 - Irregular starter
🔴 - Cut candidate / no longer on team
Started is one thing. Actually being good is another. Jackson is not good. Iggy is complete garbage. Hunt is average. Davis was great the first year and is now average. Jones, well that's a solid Pick. Not even Tua has produced any fruit. He was on his way to producing last year but then got hurt again. The last two years his injuries have cost our team the playoffs or actual competition in the playoffs. So I would agree that 2020 was a failure on what we could have had to what we got. If Tua can get us there this year without getting injured and make it through the playoffs, we'll then obviously we re-evaluate then but as it stands right now, 2020 = fail. The Waddle pick was on point though in 2021!!

Let’s just be glad we didn’t waste a pick on Ruggs III. That was a totally wasted picked for the Raiders.

Started is one thing. Actually being good is another. Jackson is not good. Iggy is complete garbage. Hunt is average. Davis was great the first year and is now average. Jones, well that's a solid Pick. Not even Tua has produced any fruit. He was on his way to producing last year but then got hurt again. The last two years his injuries have cost our team the playoffs or actual competition in the playoffs. So I would agree that 2020 was a failure on what we could have had to what we got. If Tua can get us there this year without getting injured and make it through the playoffs, we'll then obviously we re-evaluate then but as it stands right now, 2020 = fail. The Waddle pick was on point though in 2021!!

Every day I am thankful your opinion on the team actually means something #blessed#thankful#sarcasm

Haha

Last edited:
Waddle is definitely better than Smith. I wanted Chase but we got 2 players instead of one and they are both playmakers
I don't agree. IMO Waddle and Smith are pretty equivalent. Smith clearly has better hands and is better at contested catches while Waddle has better speed and uses that speed well. Coming out Smith was a better route runner, but IMO Waddle's route running has improved and closed the gap a bit.

I think it was a consensus pick. Just a guess, but Flores might have actually wanted Parsons.

If I remember, that was the talk here. A wide receiver or Parsons.
It's always a consensus pick, but my understanding is that Grier was pushing for Waddle early on.

That's what you tend to see. All picks are consensus picks but there will usually be one or more guys that are pushing for a player. The GM will often basically give a coach (or sometimes even a scout) a player they particularly want. The player may or may not be the guy that the GM would pick in isolation, but part of the job is making everybody feel they have a voice. So those who just want to blame the GM for every pick are ignorant of the process. There's more to it than just making the pick.

From what I heard, Iggy and Davis were basically Flo picks. Achane was obviously a McD pick. I haven't heard anything specifically, but I'm guessing that Cam Smith was a Fangio pick. I heard Tua, Waddle, Wilkins and Tindall were Grier picks. I heard one of the scouts was the guy pounding the table for Hunt. Boyer was known for finding some of those UDFA DBs like Kohou and Needham. There were probably others that had internal champions but I can't recall hearing any specifics.

It's always a consensus pick, but my understanding is that Grier was pushing for Waddle early on.

That's what you tend to see. All picks are consensus picks but there will usually be one or more guys that are pushing for a player. The GM will often basically give a coach (or sometimes even a scout) a player they particularly want. The player may or may not be the guy that the GM would pick in isolation, but part of the job is making everybody feel they have a voice. So those who just want to blame the GM for every pick are ignorant of the process. There's more to it than just making the pick.

From what I heard, Iggy and Davis were basically Flo picks. Achane was obviously a McD pick. I haven't heard anything specifically, but I'm guessing that Cam Smith was a Fangio pick. I heard Tua, Waddle, Wilkins and Tindall were Grier picks. I heard one of the scouts was the guy pounding the table for Hunt. Boyer was known for finding some of those UDFA DBs like Kohou and Needham. There were probably others that had internal champions but I can't recall hearing any specifics.
Right. Have to think most picks are consensus picks. I doubt the GM would take someone the HC doesn't particularly want.

Really think Waddle was a home run.

As an aside, have to give Boyer credit for his evaluation on defensive backs.

This turned out to be a great evaluation by Grier and Miami scouts. I really loved Smith coming out, but Waddle is better. Just so much more explosive.

I love the pairing of Hill and Waddle.
Interesting that at QB we picked craft/skill over pure athlete, but at WR we picked the opposite. In general I think that is correct for the respective positions, within reason.

Interesting that at QB we picked craft/skill over pure athlete, but at WR we picked the opposite. In general I think that is correct for the respective positions, within reason.
Good point. Also, how it all fits so well together.

Yeah was a great pick. Given his injury in last season at Bama. Most had us taking Smith who is good.

I disagree. Hunt is above average and Jackson is only 23. He could be a pro bowler in the making and we don’t know yet. I do think he will be a perennial starter at the very least. Which automatically qualifies as average-good. Davis is being overshadowed by two great big men up front. But he is still quality.

I disagree. Hunt is above average and Jackson is only 23. He could be a pro bowler in the making and we don’t know yet. I do think he will be a perennial starter at the very least. Which automatically qualifies as average-good. Davis is being overshadowed by two great big men up front. But he is still quality.
I mean ok. If that's what you think. Just remember how our line operates when LT is out of the lineup. They're average, below average players IMO. Davis had a good rookie year and where's he been since? Either way, we are talking about average players compared to what we know of great players still on the board when we picked.

Back
Top Bottom