Making a case for Patrick Surtain II | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Making a case for Patrick Surtain II

Patrick Surtain II - great player and person with pedigree. With B Jone's contract getting a CB to replace that contract next season must be a priority. Also would we really be trading down from three and want Pitts or Chase?... just does not add up to me. Unless we go Oline that makes sense too. I also think Flores prioritizes CB and Oline
If we wanted Surtain II we didn't need to trade up to 6th. We had a solid shot at 12.

I don’t think they rate them all that highly...I also think at the time of the trade they underestimated Pitts rise on draft boards.
Pitts is rising on media/fan draft boards. We have no idea what teams actually think of him. The kid is talented, but Pro Day measurables are not really “official”. If he had ran a 4.5 at the combine, which could have happened as “official” times tend to be ~ half a tenth slower than clocked Pro Day times, would the media really be pushing him to the Falcons at 4? Top 15; absolutely. Top 10; quite possible. But 4th overall seems unlikely given all the Falcons current needs. IMO they want to trade back, or bite the bullet at 4, and draft Trey Lance or Mac Jones.

Pitts is rising on media/fan draft boards. We have no idea what teams actually think of him. The kid is talented, but Pro Day measurables are not really “official”. If he had ran a 4.5 at the combine, which could have happened as “official” times tend to be ~ half a tenth slower than clocked Pro Day times, would the media really be pushing him to the Falcons at 4? Top 15; absolutely. Top 10; quite possible. But 4th overall seems unlikely given all the Falcons current needs. IMO they want to trade back, or bite the bullet at 4, and draft Trey Lance or Mac Jones.
Times at Florida Pro Days are typically 0.5% slower than the combine in Indy, dating back to 2011.

FWIW.

Patrick Surtain II - great player and person with pedigree. With B Jone's contract getting a CB to replace that contract next season must be a priority. Also would we really be trading down from three and want Pitts or Chase?... just does not add up to me. Unless we go Oline that makes sense too. I also think Flores prioritizes CB and Oline, I have been shaking my head for a while now I just have a hard time seeing us pick a WR at 6 especially a 170LB one.

I love you too.

Taking Surtain in anticipation of releasing Jones would not only shows the FO failed when signing Jones but also failed last year in their evaluation and draft value taking Igbinoghene.

I can't see any way that happens. Now if a great CB fell to 18? Ok then maybe....but i doubt it would be Surtain

Not at #6... no freaking way.

If he's there at 18..... 100% worth it. At 6 were reaching selecting Surtain.

Don't let the nostalgia of a legacy player corrupt your player evaluations.

Silly question.... remember, I mean no harm.

Would Jones transition well to safety? I understand the financials would stink.

However, would Jones be a candidate for safety?

Jones played safety for the Cowboys at times during his tenure there and the return was less than at corner. Jones played a much better corner for the Cowboys than he has Miami to date but we got to bet on his play coming up a notch in 2021. Is what it is. If not look to get out the contract after if possible. Ie trade or financial cut sense.

but all that’s a year away at least.

Jones played safety for the Cowboys at times during his tenure there and the return was less than at corner. Jones played a much better corner for the Cowboys than he has Miami to date but we got to bet on his play coming up a notch in 2021. Is what it is. If not look to get out the contract after if possible. Ie trade or financial cut sense.

but all that’s a year away at least.

Thanks for the response.

I do like how these contracts are structured. Some of these can can be released or traded next year without much if any cap ramifications.

Plus, next year, Miami should have plenty of cap room.

One more year of Iggy should be able to determine if he can be a contributor or not.

trade Howard for 2 firsts and I'm in

Not too many All Pros have been on the Dolphins in the past 10 years. Why move the one steady one you have?

Jones would get the move before Howard. Guy couldn't cover a sleeping baby with a blanket.

Bateman? You mean? Hmm? Okay. 😎

I like Toney more than Moore, personally, but tryin' to remain objective! :shrug:
Id throw Terrace Marshall in there too. But I wouldnt say he is better but close to the same talent level. Depends on what type of receiver you want. They all offer something a little different.

Back
Top Bottom