Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mel Kiper- Jake Long is a Left Tackle

Of course Mike Tice tryed to perpetrate that somebody was trading up, thats the game that all teams play, we just got played out of a 4th round pick.

That was of april 25th, later Minnesota acknowledged that there was no offer from NE to move up. In your own article Bill Belichek denied that he tried to move up. I dont see how you or the paper can imply that him saying trade discussions are common means he was lying.

I don't remeber ever hearing that. Why would they lie about it after the fact, and then change their story? But whatever, it doesn't really matter.

Thats like saying I did not kill my wife, but people kill people all the time.

No it's like being asked if you killed your wife and saying, "no, but I kill people all the time." Slightly, but importantly different.

I don't remeber ever hearing that. Why would they lie about it after the fact, and then change their story? But whatever, it doesn't really matter.

No it's like being asked if you killed your wife and saying, "no, but I kill people all the time." Slightly, but importantly different.

His words in the article were
Bill Belichick denied having pursued Carey, saying trade discussions are common and that the Patriots had no plans to move up in the first round.

So I think Im more on base.

Teams lie or bluff each other all the time.

It's not Schefter's prescience or knack for calling the pick from months out that does it, it's his network of contacts. He knows who the pick is going to be before it happens not only because he does his homework, but because the guys who are doing the picking are telling him who they're picking - and he's very, very, very rarely fooled. He's got every angle on every player and how teams have them rated months before the draft and everytime a team changes their board. The guy is very, very good to listen to in terms of drafts.

My favorite of all time is Joel Buchsbaum- I miss that guy.

Thank you my friend for reminding me to add that. :up:

Boomer....what do you think of the idea of signing a guy like Haynesworth to a contract...yes it would cost a couple draft picks but he's far better a tackle than anyone I can see in the draft...of course it would depend if the Dolphins use a straight 3-4 defense. I believe it would far cheaper to sign him than a rookie in the number one spot...and with a rookie you just don't know what you will get in return.

I think his off field issues, over and above the Gurode incident would make me think not. And he's a NG not a NT.

Jake Long reminds me of John Tait, a very solid tackle who can play either side but is a better player on the right. He is somewhat limited in terms of pass protection imo.

His words in the article were
Bill Belichick denied having pursued Carey, saying trade discussions are common and that the Patriots had no plans to move up in the first round.

So I think Im more on base.

Teams lie or bluff each other all the time.

Ok, this is the last time I post on this issue. I didn't argue that Bill denied it. I just said that he did it with double speak, which he did. The point was that Mike Tice said differently, which goes against your contention that Min admitted to it being nothing but a bluff. Could it have been? Sure. I understand that you say that Min later admitted it was a bluff, but I could not find anything to support this. If it did happen then fine, you are right. I don't remember this happening though. Also, if it's a he said she said, between Billy and Mike; I side with the guy who can get me tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is the last time I post on this issue. I didn't argue that Bill denied it. I just said that he did it with double speak, which he did. The point was that Mike Tice said differently, which goes against your contention that Min admitted to it being nothing but a bluff. Could it have been? Sure. I understand that you say that Min later admitted it was a bluff, but I could not find anything to support this. If it did happen then fine, you are right. I don't remember this happening though. Also, if it's a he said she said, between Billy and Mike; I side with the guy who can get me tickets.

I do appreciate that you brought the article into the discussion. Its very hard to bring up old articles sometimes. I keep trying to find the sentinal article where Mueller was interviewed and the reporter said that Mueller admiited that Beck was not rated higher than Quinn by the dolphins. I do remember Minnesota coming out and admitting it well after the draft but finding that on the interenet has been less than fruitful. If other people do not recall this and disagree it happened ,fine , but for other people not you trying to call me out without any other proof to the otherwise and acting like I have been proven wrong makes no sense. You are right it really does not matter and its over and done. None of us actually have privey to any teams draftboards so its all speculation on our part although some of us like to act like we like we know for sure. Almost all of our thoughts about drafts are based on the reports and studies of people that are not actually drafting that year. I advocated taking Levi Brown at 9 last year and some people thought he was a reach. There were many on this board that said we should take Joe Staley at 9 and probably would have insisted that he was not a reach at 9. Before the draft not one person said Quinn was a reach but because he fell in the draft, all of a sudden he would have been a reach. No player that is being considered for the first overall pick in the draft is a reach at number 9. When we all speak about reaches its usually more perception than reality. Teams that are perveived as reaching are usually drafting a particular position rather than BPA. Hell one of our top defensive players was one of the biggest reaches of all time, Tim Bowens.

Please for the love of god understand what I am going to say. I believe that Mueller and Shefter may have had sources that said that Houston was going to take GInn. We also had sources that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction . The so called sources could have been misinformation. I mean did anybody not believe that Quinn was not our target this year.I say and believe that none of the sources were within the Houston organization. If Mueller had info that Houston was going to take Ginn the why didn't Houston have sources to let them know they had no chance.
Even if thier sources had the Texans drafting Ginn, the info could not be so up to date that it would have accounted for Okaye dropping.

Never said that anybody is making up stuff. Shefter is a reporter and sources can be wrong. Have you ever heard Chris Moretenson say that sources have told him such and such. As for Mueller have may have believed from sources that it was going to happen but I definately think it would be a violation of the NFL rules for Mueller to get inside info from someone actually involved with the Texan's draft. As for Kubiak admitting that they targetted Ginn as thier pick I have seen no evidence of that and have never heard GM's say they settled for another player.

So it was all misinformation:rolleyes2:

Jake Long reminds me of John Tait, a very solid tackle who can play either side but is a better player on the right. He is somewhat limited in terms of pass protection imo.

He only gave up one sack last year.

what is with you guys... food names and food pictures... two tacos, general tsao, all you guys make me sooooooo freaking hungry it is ridiculous. stop it. i am trying not to be fat thank you, and at these late hours i sit and talk and stare at your delicious name things, and your savory pictures, you are ruining it for me.

And again...making my point

The fact that he is a GREAT tackle to run behind and not nessecerily a great pass-blocker, pretty much dictates him being a RT in the Pros..........

Since the Dolphins will run more than pass...he'll be perfect...and with all that said...Long only gave up one sack all season last year...so that makes my point.

So it was all misinformation:rolleyes2:

Who knows. Unless somebody from the Texans team that was involved in the draft wants to talk about it. It is very possible that the Houston Texans were targeting Ginn and very possible they were not, it is very possible they played up Ginn as a smokescreen. Just because Adam Shefter said his sources revealed that does not prove anything. Like I said how many times has Chris Mortenson put out info that was not correct. The only thing that will prove to me that Houston was taking Ginn would be someone from thier draft room saying it, not the infamous sources. All you ever get from Gm's is gmspeak like we got exactly who we were looking at. I'm also sure that Houston had sources telling the we were probably going to take Brady Quinn but we know how that turned out.

It all really doesn't matter because for better or worse Ginn was our pick.
There were much better picks left on the board and much worse picks.

Since the Dolphins will run more than pass...he'll be perfect...and with all that said...Long only gave up one sack all season last year...so that makes my point.

I'm not sure it makes your point at all. You have to look at the run pass ratio's, especially considering for much of the season the Wolverines ran with a true freshman QB and against the quality of end he played against and the blocking schemes they use.

A blind man would tell you that Jeff Otah is a better pure pass blocker than Jake Long. But Otah "gave up more sacks".

With Miami having a pretty serious interest in Chris Williams, I'd expect that #1 pick to be on Long or Dorsey.

The Jake Long "only gave up one sack all year" stuff is a little overblown for two reasons. First, the Wolverines run the ball constantly. For instance, Hart ran it over 40 times against Penn State. This limited the situations where he was really asked to pass block.

Beyond that and more importantly, trust your eyes and not the stats. Long was beaten quite frequently by all kinds of defensive players. Problem is, the guys around him struggled even more than he did. As a result, the player who beat them got to the quarterback before the player who beat long. My eyes tell me that Long is really going to struggle at the next level especially if he is asked to play left tackle.

Also, I have no idea why Long's strength is not more of an issue. I have never seen such a "highly regarded" offensive linemen bull rushed onto his back or into the quarterback more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom