Merged: Brodie Croyle | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Brodie Croyle

it looks like cutler to miami is getting less and less likely especially now that the jets are seriously considering trading down to get cutler. i would definitely take croyle 2nd rd though.

kitt23 said:
it looks like cutler to miami is getting less and less likely especially now that the jets are seriously considering trading down to get cutler. i would definitely take croyle 2nd rd though.

It just may be that the Jets have to trade UP to get Cutler.

FinNasty said:
I know he has had some injury issues... does anyone know what his injuries have been? Were they serious? or were they just minor?

Both knees were blown out, just to name two.....thats pretty serious.

I think there is more.

BlueFin said:
Both knees were blown out, just to name two.....thats pretty serious.

I think there is more.

Yeah, he messed up his shoulder pretty bad his junior year.

The main problem I have with Croyle is he absolutely crumbled in the face of a strong pass rush in the games that I saw. He did have a few good games to go with the bad so I am open to picking him up with the 2nd if he's available but I absolutely wouldn't chase this guy. His slight frame, injury history and fear of getting hit are too many flags to chase him. A mid 2nd rounder is worth the gamble that his fear of getting hit was due to the fact that he was a senior and had a payday coming and didnt want another knee injury. He's got a decent arm, decent smarts and if his skittishness is due to him wanting a payday, he's worth a shot in the 2nd. By no means should we consider ourselves to have solved the problem at QB if we draft him though. I would still bring in a free agent. My preference if we dont get Cutler is waiting till the 5th and taking Gradkowski or Meyer. Gradkowski at worst will be a good backup and Meyer might turn out to be the steal of the draft from what Ive read about him, though he's probably a 3 year project. Either way the reward is the same but the risk is less if you use a 5th instead of a 2nd

Hostile 17 said:
EDIT: I also agree on the drop-off. Brodie Croyle looks like he has all the tools, but our staff must carefully evaluate his injury history. He could have all the tools but never last an NFL season. Reminds me a lot of Chris Chandler...

Great comparison with Chandler. I always liked Chandler but he was as fragile as they came. Whoever we draft we should bring in a 20 something vet. I havent written off Ramsey as alot of people here have. I also would like McCOWN or possibly Volek now that Tennessee is looking at QBs. I really think we need one in free agency and one through the draft

adamprez2003 said:
The main problem I have with Croyle is he absolutely crumbled in the face of a strong pass rush in the games that I saw. He did have a few good games to go with the bad so I am open to picking him up with the 2nd if he's available but I absolutely wouldn't chase this guy. His slight frame, injury history and fear of getting hit are too many flags to chase him. A mid 2nd rounder is worth the gamble that his fear of getting hit was due to the fact that he was a senior and had a payday coming and didnt want another knee injury. He's got a decent arm, decent smarts and if his skittishness is due to him wanting a payday, he's worth a shot in the 2nd. By no means should we consider ourselves to have solved the problem at QB if we draft him though. I would still bring in a free agent. My preference if we dont get Cutler is waiting till the 5th and taking Gradkowski or Meyer. Gradkowski at worst will be a good backup and Meyer might turn out to be the steal of the draft from what Ive read about him, though he's probably a 3 year project. Either way the reward is the same but the risk is less if you use a 5th instead of a 2nd

Don't forget he was operating with very linmited skill position resources, especially when Prothro broke his leg.

Boomer said:
Don't forget he was operating with very linmited skill position resources, especially when Prothro broke his leg.

Very good point and its why he might be worth the risk. Saban's gotta decide that one. I haven't seen enough from him to sell me on him but the factor you mention plus the ones I brought up make him an acceptable risk so long as you don't overpay to get him. I think that's the key. With such high risk, the draft pick we give up has to be an acceptable one. I would prefer to risk not getting him rather than pay up to get him

Croyle reminds of Chris Weinke with a much stronger arm.
At 'Bama he was the unquestioned leader in the huddle. You just can't coach leadership like that. Then you gotta rave about the arm strength, can't coach that either.

2nd? I'd do backflips and marry Jessica Alba. (what a hardship!)

Boomer said:

He was also playing on a team that was on probation for most of his career at bama and had severe scholarship cuts. To say they were short-handed would be a major understatement.

Also it was a team that had three different coaches during his career with three very different offensive philosophies. It went from a running team, to a passing team to a balanced offense.

Despite practially an all new offensive line this year that had major problems pass blocking he put up good numbers and played injury free.

Boomer said:
It just may be that the Jets have to trade UP to get Cutler.

nah i doubt it, i think young and leinart will still be ahead.

kitt23 said:
nah i doubt it, i think young and leinart will still be ahead.

We shall see. Tennessee seem to prefer Cutler at this stage to Young, despite McNair's friendship with Vince.

I think Vince will get his fair share of hype at the combine.

Boomer said:
Croyle is a solid mid 2nd round pick.

If Croyle turns out to be our target QB, do you see him being there when we pick in the second round?

Back
Top Bottom