Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Official Nnamdi Asomugha Thread

has anyone heard anything about what were gonna do with r own guys theres only 5 and a half hours left we gonna sign or tag anyone of our free agents any info

Seems to be how it goes every year. But I would still be happy with J. Brown and a corner like McFadden or Bodden. I personally am in favor of keeping Crowder at the righ price and bringing in Scott. I think they would make a good pair.

has anyone heard anything about what were gonna do with r own guys theres only 5 and a half hours left we gonna sign or tag anyone of our free agents any info

Wait, can we no longer try to negotiate contracts after 4pm eastern today? I thought that was just the tag deadline.

right it is just tag deadline but if we dont sign before that their usually franchised after cause after that deadline nothing is gauranteed most will wanna test free agency

Well we only have 5 hours left to franchise the players which is doubtful unless we do it with Bell. They are close on Carey apparently and have another week before free agency.

thats what im saying how sure are we that were close with carey close enough that if not worked out before deadline we dont franchise cause were sure hel sign or if we dont franchise he is just saying were close to a deal to ultimately be able to test free agency im sure tuna and company have thought about this

say bye to Aso as it seems.

first they signed their punter today to a 4 yr 12 mill deal.
now they can either franchise Aso or this...Multi year deal is iminent. i dono why neone would wna play for that organization but it is what it is.

http://raiderbeat.com/?p=684

This is starting to make me believe they will not be able to franchise Aso.

They were 4m under the cap PRIOR to signing Lechler (To a 4yr, 12m contract.) I really dont see them having the room for it.

This is starting to make me believe they will not be able to franchise Aso.

They were 4m under the cap PRIOR to signing Lechler (To a 4yr, 12m contract.) I really dont see them having the room for it.
I hope what you are saying is accurate and furthermore, I hope we sign this guy as well. I would really like to see Moss try that 1 handed catch on this guy down the sideline.

He's only a cornerback, and would be too expensive for what his true value actually would be. We have much more immediate needs on this team such as nose tackle, possibly right tackle, center, wide receiver, and then cornerback. We can improve in the secondary for sure, but don't need to break the bank for one, honestly.

I used to really think elite corners were important, and certainly if you have one, it's a nice thing to have. But, the more I watch the really good defenses, the Giants of 07, last years ravens and Steelers, and titans, etc. they all have one thing in common. Decent corners for sure, and in the case of Baltimore, Ed Reed who's like from another planet, but what really makes those defenses great is:

1. You can't run on them

2. Disruptive at the line of scrimmage with their tackles and ends. In particular, their tackles. Albert haynesworth, Casey Hampton, Haloti Ngata anyone?

3. Incredible pass rushing and run stopping linebackers

The secondary is good, but probably looks better than they actually are because of the above 3 points.

I guess what i'm trying to say, is that whilst I agree it would be nice to have a really good corner to help us not get embarassed by the Larry fitzgeralds and randy Moss's of the world, it doesn't make sense to break the bank for one, when in reality, those guys can't be stopped by any of the corners out there anyways, but rather get stopped by stopping the run, making the team one dimensional, and then by hitting the quarter back from up the middle, all sides, early and often and that means, a nose tackle, and pass rushing ends and linebackers.

That's what we need to invest in more than anything on the defensive side of the ball IMHO.

I gotta disagree with ya man. Never underestimate the value of a strong DB.

You're right that stopping the run is important, but in order to do that, you need to be strong across the board.

You have the right answer but for the wrong reasons. Teams can afford to be more disruptive at the LoS because of the quality of play in their secondary. We could be disruptive at the LoS too, but at the expense of having the QB hit a quick slant to a wide open WR for 50 yards.

Our Secondary is so bad we can't cover opposing receivers without help from the LB corp or moving to nickle and dime packages (removing LBers from the field.)

Stopping the run is a numbers game, and when you have more guys "in the box" than the other team, you will fare better against the run. When we were able to do this last year, we looked great stuffing the run. Unfortunately, teams spread our D out, using multiple receiver sets, and then exploited our weak numbers near the line of scrimmage to run the ball.

With a top-notch cover corner or FS, you can leave those guys on an island, allowing you to devote more resources into stopping the run or covering other receivers/backs/TEs.

You pointed out Ed Reed, but you missed Troy Polamalu, Cory Webster (who has been HUGE for the Giants), Hope and Finnegan on the Titans. Not to mention these teams have strong supporting cast in the secondary, any one of which would be better than our best DB.

Think back in recent history, when was our D the MOST dominant? Back when we had Madison and Surtain at corner, shutting down teams passing games, allowing us to win the numbers game against the run.

As far as our immediate needs, I also disagree with your assessments. NT, while it may become a need, isnt our highest priority. Ferggie isnt getting any younger, but he still has enough left in the tank where we dont need to replace him yet.

Right tackle could use an upgrade, but we need interior line more than that. Upgrades at Guard and/or Center will help VC (if he returns) at RT.

While I'd agree we need a stud receiver, I disagree with the priority. Unless we are getting a stud, we are ok with what we have. Ginn/Bess/Camarillo are all solid guys, we just need the playmaker to compliment them. We dont need another "ok" receiver.

Unless your on field talent matches up better than the opponents on a 1-1 basis, you will need to play the numbers game. And the best way to get us on top in the numbers game is to improve our secondary. From there we can worry about depth and improving talent level at other positions.

I dot give a crap about anybody except Carey. Crowder can be replaced, I like Bell but he is getting older and can be replaced. Carey needs to stay. I have always been a believer of keeping OL units together as much as possible. It seems to be the only group that needs to be together for more than a year to be truly successful. I think if we are gonna get a new center and maybe a guard or two then we HAVE to keep Carey otherwise we could be looking at 4 new starters on the oline. EEEKK!!

Rotoworld is reporting his contract has already been sent to the league for approval....looks like the raiders do have the cash.

Back
Top Bottom