Merged X3: The Official Julius Peppers Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X3: The Official Julius Peppers Thread

Peppers played (not just on the team, he played) basketball at UNC... He has the athletic ability to drop back in coverage.. Even at age 30.

One of the most inconsistent players in the league playing a new position on a team that is hemorrhaging defensive talent while also having no coordinator....yeah, not to worried.

I understand Peppers is a very talented person, but he is absurdly hit and miss as a player. It should be telling that a player with no character issues is hitting free agency. I might be a bit harsh, but ive never been impressed with Peppers, and after seeing Belichick's amazing "success" utilizing his defensive players recently(see: Adalius Thomas) i just dont consider this a threat.

At the end of the day, even if he does sign and turns into a consistent playmaker, i still have faith that Jake Long will plant him in the ground multiple times a game.

One of the most inconsistent players in the league playing a new position on a team that is hemorrhaging defensive talent while also having no coordinator....yeah, not to worried.

I understand Peppers is a very talented person, but he is absurdly hit and miss as a player. It should be telling that a player with no character issues is hitting free agency. I might be a bit harsh, but ive never been impressed with Peppers, and after seeing Belichick's amazing "success" utilizing his defensive players recently(see: Adalius Thomas) i just dont consider this a threat.

At the end of the day, even if he does sign and turns into a consistent playmaker, i still have faith that Jake Long will plant him in the ground multiple times a game.

Your sig is awesome!

This is highly beneficial to Miami actually. If they lock Peppers into a contract and re-sign Wilfork this will lock up a huge amount of money and actually increase the age of the defense instead of making it younger plus it makes it harder to re-sing any youth that might develop due to cap implications (assuming there will be one again at some point).

I don’t know about you all but anything that ties up money and makes the Pats older is A OK BY ME! :up:

Exactly. It would also take the Pats out of the bidding for Dansby and they might not be able to franchise Wilfork.
How much money would it take to lock up Peppers AND Wilfork to long term deals?

finding myself bored again, reading headlines on yahoosports and reading about the pats suppposed interest in julius peppers I was curious how we all would see the peppers vs. jake long game playing out.

call me a homer, but I find myslef not overly worried. long has proven he can hang with the big boys of the RDE world in the nfl. with the exception of the atlanta game last year, where he was owned a few times, I thought he performed admirably.

There's something to be said for being at ease finally with how your offensive line is shaping up. Especially as far as LT is concerned.

Any body worried in the slightest, if peppers lands with the hated pats.

Homer

Exactly. It would also take the Pats out of the bidding for Dansby and they might not be able to franchise Wilfork.
How much money would it take to lock up Peppers AND Wilfork to long term deals?

Assuming Wilfork gets Haynesworth money here is Haynesworth for comparison: 30.5 million over the first three years, no way he will hit 2013 with this contract.

League sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that a $29 million "poison pill" in the fifth year of Haynesworth's contract effectively makes it a four-year deal worth $48 million. The Redskins would owe Haynesworth a lump sum of $29 million in salary and bonuses in 2013, the fifth year of the deal. It is unlikely the team will pay the full commitment of $100 million over seven years unless the contract is re-negotiated. Haynesworth will receive $41 million in guaranteed money.

And Peppers played last season at a one-year deal worth at least $16.7 million. - The highest single season paycheck ever.

So if you factor in signing bonus and such it would be realistic to expect any team that wanted to wrap both players up to be in it for around

80 million guaranteed and about 25 million a year in salary for 2 players over three to four years.

It's gonna leave a mark!

Peppers is way over priced. Honestly, I was at the Carolina game this year and I didn't even know Peppers was playing. I think Peppers would be more worried going against Long twice a year than Long being worried about Peppers.

In reply to the OP, it literally can't happen unless the Patriots let Wilfork go because the Patsies are part of the Final 8. If the Pats let Wilfork go, they run the risk of the Fins backing up the Brinks truck to him, which I don't believe they're willing to do.

In reply to the OP, it literally can't happen unless the Patriots let Wilfork go because the Patsies are part of the Final 8. If the Pats let Wilfork go, they run the risk of the Fins backing up the Brinks truck to him, which I don't believe they're willing to do.
The Patsies lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs - they weren't in the final 8, so the final 8 FA limitations won't apply to them.

The Patsies lost in the Wildcard round of the playoffs - they weren't in the final 8, so the final 8 FA limitations won't apply to them.

You're right, at that. But there are still limitations on playoff teams who weren't part of the Final 8, just not as strict.

finding myself bored again, reading headlines on yahoosports and reading about the pats suppposed interest in julius peppers I was curious how we all would see the peppers vs. jake long game playing out.

call me a homer, but I find myslef not overly worried. long has proven he can hang with the big boys of the RDE world in the nfl. with the exception of the atlanta game last year, where he was owned a few times, I thought he performed admirably.

There's something to be said for being at ease finally with how your offensive line is shaping up. Especially as far as LT is concerned.

Any body worried in the slightest, if peppers lands with the hated pats.
Agreed.. Jake would be able to handle Peppers.. Its no secret that Peppers is inconsistent anyway and someone will end up overpaying for him.

This is highly beneficial to Miami actually. If they lock Peppers into a contract and re-sign Wilfork this will lock up a huge amount of money and actually increase the age of the defense instead of making it younger plus it makes it harder to re-sing any youth that might develop due to cap implications (assuming there will be one again at some point).

I don’t know about you all but anything that ties up money and makes the Pats older is A OK BY ME! :up:

The Pats have 4 picks in the top 60... they'll get younger.

I don't get how the trifecta could pass on Peppers.

With that being said, I don't get how it's possible that we wouldn't do everything in our power to get this guy on our team. If we try and lose to someone else I would still rather try. I understand there's a price tag, but there is no better player we will get on defense this offseason, that includes the draft.

Back
Top Bottom